Always a new problem. Got a weird one. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Always a new problem. Got a weird one.

BrittsBen
10-24-2012, 12:08 PM
I apologize if this has already been asked, I did my best to look through the searches to find a similar problem.

I'm currently rebuilding a 3.4 that the gentlemen that owned it before us ratted out.
I'm ready to install the new thermostat but when I go to use the Felpro gasket lipped onto the thermostat it doesn't fit. It's slightly too big and squeezes the gasket back off the thermostat and nothing holds in place. I tried gently shaving the housing to remove traces of old gasket, even lubed the gasket and the housing and still it won't fit.

This expenditure is quickly becoming a financial drain, but if you guys have any suggestions let me know. My suspicion is that the LIM may be warped as the heads were warped and were machined accordingly. Just sucks cause I'm ready for this thing to be on the road and don't wish to throw any more money at the engine.

Thanks to site I've been able to fix almost everything (car blew a LIM two weeks after we got it ha). Just having a hard time putting it back together lol.

O1GAGT
10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Get a new thermostat that comes with the gasket installed and see if that works.

BrittsBen
10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestion and I reckon I'll give that try tomorrow should my attempts at using what i got not work. I figured a fail-safe thermostat and a felpro gasket would be enough, the thing just does not want to fit. I'm going to try shaving the gasket down and filling the edge with ultra grey permatex. Any body think that'll do any harm?

chris_gt_74
10-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Are sure it's the right sized thermostat? Everyone I've bought had a gasket already on it. It should sit right in the recess perfectly.

AaronGTR
10-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I think perhaps the gasket you are trying to use might be too thick? I know some of the gasket kits available from auto parts stores include a bunch of gaskets and O-rings we don't use because they are a single universal kit made for multiple years and models of the 3x00 engine. If you get the correct T-stat it should already come with a gasket on it that is the same as the stock one. It's pretty thin really and just covers the edge.

BrittsBen
10-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys, I'm guessing I shorted when I bought this thing. It even says with gasket on box but has no gasket. Luckily i have two extra. I shaved this one and will use gray permatex as a joint filler. Wish me luck!

BrittsBen
10-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Seems to work without leaks YET. Got a new problem now though, did a head gasket and LIM change (the LIM went out intially and figured i'd do the heads while down there). It starts up but there is some whistling, the engine shutters violently intermittently, and then proceeds to start smoking around the exhaust manifolds. Any ideas? I'm growing wary of this car and we only had it a couple months lol.

unchained_01
10-27-2012, 09:24 AM
recheck all connections and wires and vaccuum hoses something is not right

BrittsBen
11-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Well the rebuild seems to have gone well with one exception. The car is still pushing out coolant. After a week of driving and having to top it off, and after buying a new cap I discovered a leak underneath the t-stat housing. The Felpro gasket just doesn't seem to match up with the failsafe thermostat. Should I try another thermostat just to be on the safe side?

The felpro gasket is ring shaped and grooved alone the inner ring indicating it should sit over the thermostat. Am I doing this wrong? should I install the thermostat first and the gasket over it?

AaronGTR
11-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Something definitely seems off. I think you're going about it the wrong way. The gasket is definitely supposed to fit around the outside of the T-stat. The metal lip of the t-stat should be in the groove in the gasket. I would just buy a proper thermostat that already has the gasket installed on it, as it should have been in the first place. That should fix the problem.

O1GAGT
11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Buy the proper thermostat, there is no need to RTV or shave any gasket.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_thermostat-195-degrees-fahrenheit-stant_5653436-p?searchTerm=thermostat

BrittsBen
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I will do that tomorrow if I get the change to get down there. Is it possible that the thermostat recess on the manifold is warped? The car was redlined and the heads were machined during the rebuild but I didn't have the extra coin to machine the manifold.

chris_gt_74
12-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I'd doubt the intake opening is warped but I suppose it could be possible the housing is damaged though. I'm leaning more toward the thermostat and gasket.

Let me ask, are you sure the metal pipe directly behind the thermostat housing isn't leaking? If it leaks it has a tendancy to look like it's the thermostat.