Questions you think are too stupid to ask [Archive] - Page 2 - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Questions you think are too stupid to ask

Pages : 1 [2]

Mad Scientist
01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
I was still adding to my post when you posted. Please read it again, and if you still think I have nothing to worry about, please introduce me to your smog man!
Regards,
Eric

TruGreenGAGT
01-28-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.jandmsmog.com/
gone there 4 times since I've been out to cali. and like I said my car was built back east were smog is less strict...not to the high standards out here

and ya kinda ironic is yours a coupe as well?
btw should post up some pics sooner or later

Mad Scientist
01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the link!

I still want more info on running the LX9 exhaust manifolds though.

This is the original listing for my GAGT at the auction. http://theauctioncompany.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/27/lot/12857/
Don't know how much longer this will be posted since the car is obviously already sold. It's really interesting how this car, which, again, was a state owned car, didn't have "Calif Exempt" plates. Then on top of that, when I went to register it, the state had absolutely NO RECORD of the car! This despite the fact that I was holding paperwork showing that the state had just sold the car! Weird! Must have been some kind of undercover car.

It's really cute how they showed a picture of one of the good back tires when the front two tires were stone faced bald. Don't let the "winning bid $1,100" fool you. By the time that crooked auction house added in all of their nonsense fees the tab was $1,600! Add in two brand new "V" rated tires and registration, and I'm into the car for $1,950. I'm not complaining too loudly though as I could probably get a minimum of $2,500 for the car tomorrow if I wanted to, correct? (That's another question for this thread BTW. Yeah, I was going somewhere with this post.)
Regards,
Eric

I already posted the only pics I have of the car in the above post back on page 10 of this thread. The only things I've done so far is register it and buy it 2 new tires. The next time I post an image of this car it will be at the drag strip.

It's a sedan, because something had to be different!
Regards,
Eric

Mad Scientist
01-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Oops..... link isn't working. Is it the shop in Homeland?

TruGreenGAGT
01-29-2013, 08:37 AM
ya the smog shop is in homeland right off the 74

EJ01GAGT
01-29-2013, 09:30 AM
should i go with taylor spark plug wires or the OEM wires, also whats the best plugs for the 3.4 motor?

rocketfast123
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Taylor wires will gave you street cred like mad yo, and the OEM 41-979. I ran ACDelco RapidFires 14 in our 3100 and as well as my 2.4. As long as you get a good brand you will be fine. I forget if i'm running NGKs or Ac delco

EJ01GAGT
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
So taylors are just for show hmmm my hood always closed so oem is best

geldartb
01-29-2013, 01:01 PM
if you have nothing done to your engine then stock wires are fine. a CAI doesn't constitute bigger plug wires.

Mad Scientist
01-30-2013, 02:42 AM
So how about that LX9 exhaust manifold swap?

TDavis
01-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Would a 18x8 wheel with a 5x115 bolt pattern and 20mm offset fit? lol

sleepyalero
01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
mine are 18x8.5 with a 40ish offset..,

i think 20mm is not going to work. ;)

Mad Scientist
01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Pretty rims aren't as important as how fast the car can accelerate is.

Regards,
Eric

TruGreenGAGT
01-31-2013, 10:28 PM
im guessing no one has done it.
but since the 3.5 swaps in and uses the stock logs.....just give it a shot and be the first
also good luck finding a G6 in the JY....the 3 close to me/us i've seen one and it was stripped

TDavis
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Pretty rims aren't as important as how fast the car can accelerate is.

Regards,
Eric

Whatever makes you happy lol. Lighter rims=better braking, handling, and may not be noticeable but can help accelerate faster too.

If you wanted something that accelerates fast you shouldn't of bought a GA.

Mad Scientist
02-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Well like I said in my first post in this thread, I kinda ended up with this car by accident. I would have just quickly flipped it and moved on but like I said, this is the FIRST fwd car I can remember that handles this well. (Better even, than my old SHO!) Despite my many previous miserable experiences with GM cars, I can't help myself! I kinda dig this little scrapper! I'm just trying to make it a little better able to hold it's own on the So. Cal. road rage freeways.

And the stock GAGT wheels aren't that heavy.

I must say I've noticed a lot of GAGT hatin' on this site. Isn't this supposed to be THE site for GAGT fans?

im guessing no one has done it.
but since the 3.5 swaps in and uses the stock logs.....just give it a shot and be the first
also good luck finding a G6 in the JY....the 3 close to me/us i've seen one and it was stripped

That's exactly my point! How come guys are swapping in LX9s but then running the old retarded LA1 exhaust manifolds? Just exactly what is it that causes people to run the old manifolds instead of running the superior LX9 manifolds?
Regards,
Eric

[ChaosweaveR]
02-01-2013, 05:54 AM
These cars are slow. Even with an LX9 swap, performance is sub par compared to other cars. Stock wheels for these cars are heavy, too small and too narrow. You'd see more fun factor investing in basic bolt ons, wheels & tires, suspension and brakes with these cars.

You aren't going fast unless you're dumping +$10,000 into a turbo build. Nick-G comes to mind.

Mad Scientist
02-01-2013, 06:05 AM
;1203014']These cars are slow. Even with an LX9 swap, performance is sub par compared to other cars.

Maybe that's because even the LX9 swapped cars are still running the retarded LA1 exhaust manifolds! (LOL! Just kidding.)

Come on! Where's the LX9 exhaust manifold swap info?

I'm not really shooting for "fast" per se, just shooting for "better able to hold it's own".

geldartb
02-01-2013, 06:18 AM
;1203014']These cars are slow. Even with an LX9 swap,

my car as it sits now woke up pretty good with headers. with the stock exhaust manifolds it felt slower and i haven't changed the way i drive it.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Maybe that's because even the LX9 swapped cars are still running the retarded LA1 exhaust manifolds! (LOL! Just kidding.)

Come on! Where's the LX9 exhaust manifold swap info?

I'm not really shooting for "fast" per se, just shooting for "better able to hold it's own".

Maybe because actual headers will perform better than stock exhaust manifolds?

These cars are 14 sec cars down the 1/4 with more mods and just N/A. For your money's worth, there's much better bang for your buck. These cars make good looking cruisers, they lack badly in the engine performance department unless you have a big wallet.

TruGreenGAGT
02-01-2013, 08:37 AM
dont the stock logs on the 3.5 run different? i thought i saw mention once were the front drops down and under the engine.

geldartb
02-01-2013, 08:42 AM
yeah the front one runs under the engine..

TruGreenGAGT
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
so thats pro why no one has done it. prob doesnt line up were they should, or hits something

[ChaosweaveR]
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Well, sciencebro you got your answer.

geldartb
02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
so thats pro why no one has done it. prob doesnt line up were they should, or hits something

well the people that swap 3500's in usually already have headers or are going a specific direction with the engine..

i haven't seen the underneath of a car that came with e 3500 so it could be ground clearance. like something is notched to accommodate the pipe/..

TDavis
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Is it hard to change valve stem seals?

My car puffs a little of blue smoke on a very cold start-up and starts a little rough after sitting overnight in the single digits.

I've looked up and its not expensive but its the labor of paying someone to do it that kills you.

I don't have an oil leak so its not the pcv

[ChaosweaveR]
02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Valve guide seals? I wouldn't change them if you haven't messed with the valvetrain before.

TDavis
02-01-2013, 11:19 AM
;1203041']Valve guide seals? I wouldn't change them if you haven't messed with the valvetrain before.

I was planning on my dad to do it, hes been working on cars for 30+ years

geldartb
02-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Is it hard to change valve stem seals?

My car puffs a little of blue smoke on a very cold start-up and starts a little rough after sitting overnight in the single digits.

I've looked up and its not expensive but its the labor of paying someone to do it that kills you.

I don't have an oil leak so its not the pcv

it's not terribly hard but you do have to pull the springs. which you would need a valve spring compressor.

just don't drop the valve down into the cylinder. if you put what ever cyl your working on at TDC if it does fall down into the cyl it doesn't fall all the way down.

TDavis
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Since im on the verge of wanting wheela and im paranoid, I need a hub centric ring for a wheel that has a 5/114.3 bolt pattern right?

[ChaosweaveR]
02-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Since im on the verge of wanting wheela and im paranoid, I need a hub centric ring for a wheel that has a 5/114.3 bolt pattern right?

Test fit then take into account the gap in etween the hub bore and the wheel bore. If here's a gap then you'll need rings. Most custom wheel shops will measure the bore on the wheel to find you a set of rings.

Mad Scientist
02-01-2013, 11:33 PM
;1203022']Well, sciencebro you got your answer.

Well I appreciate the help and the dialog but I still don't have my answer yet as nobody has posted that it is an absolute certainty that one can NOT run the front pipe under the car. Just mostly conjecture at this point. I'm still hoping to hear from someone that has actually tried it.

"Sciencebro". I like that one. :D
Regards,
Eric

kzulfic
02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Well I appreciate the help and the dialog but I still don't have my answer yet as nobody has posted that it is an absolute certainty that one can NOT run the front pipe under the car. Just mostly conjecture at this point. I'm still hoping to hear from someone that has actually tried it.

"Sciencebro". I like that one. :D
Regards,
Eric

I don't think there's much room or clearance to run it underneath. I wouldn't want to personally, just for ease of working on things underneath if needed. I'm sure it can be done, but why not just port the stock ones? Just go to Wot-tech or Milzy. I can't remember how much they wanted, but it can't be to much.

Edit: Looks like Milzy wants $200 and I didn't find any thing on Wot-tech, but I'm sure if you send yours in to either one of them they can do the work and it will be cheaper than buying a new set.

[ChaosweaveR]
02-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Considering the N-body was designed around engines that didn't have the exhaust manifold running under the oil pan, that's a big reason why I'd stick to how it is. Second, the exhaust pipe would be way too low to the ground, it would scrape a lot.

kzulfic
02-02-2013, 12:21 AM
;1203157']Considering the N-body was designed around engines that didn't have the exhaust manifold running under the oil pan, that's a big reason why I'd stick to how it is. Second, the exhaust pipe would be way too low to the ground, it would scrape a lot.

Haha, cars designed around engines. Engineers wish that were so, thy get a design and are told to fit everything.

Anyways I agree, stick with the stock design.

Mad Scientist
02-02-2013, 06:11 AM
I don't think there's much room or clearance to run it underneath. I wouldn't want to personally, just for ease of working on things underneath if needed. I'm sure it can be done, but why not just port the stock ones? Just go to Wot-tech or Milzy. I can't remember how much they wanted, but it can't be to much.

Edit: Looks like Milzy wants $200 and I didn't find any thing on Wot-tech, but I'm sure if you send yours in to either one of them they can do the work and it will be cheaper than buying a new set.

I do appreciate you going through all the trouble and providing the info and even the pricing, but TBH I've been porting my own manifolds since the mid-1980s and I've gotten pretty good at it. I could port the things myself but the problem is that front manifold is still a lousy log when you are done with it, and that back one still has the front one's exhaust plumbed into it..... another big screw-up. I'd rather port the LX9 manis and then install them!

I can overlook a lot of stuff but that front log really bothers me.

I have to do a J.Y. run today, and family type stuff tomorrow, but maybe Monday I'll get a chance to poke around under the car and see if there is a way. Not saying you guys are wrong, just saying I'm not willing to give up yet. (Did I mention that I REALLY hate that log?)
Regards,
Eric

TruGreenGAGT
02-02-2013, 09:02 AM
even the 3.5 front and rear logs will join before the cat.

Mad Scientist
02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
That's still not as bad as being joined at the rear manifold.

We need to get together tomorrow! It's a half off day at all of the Ecology J.Y.s! I'm gonna forgo our traditional family day and hit the yard! There's an Alero AND a GA there with the aluminum front control arms! Are you game?

Mad Scientist
02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Hey, I'm trying to join 60DegreeV6 and they won't let my register until I answer this question: "What is the acronym for the company that produces this site's engines?" I don't have a clue! So I tried doing a search using the term: "rebuilt engines" and the site won't let me do the search unless I answer a question. Guess what the question is?!? So I tried answering with "WOT", WOT-Tech", "WOT-TECH", and "60V6" Nothing is working! What is the correct answer?

[ChaosweaveR]
02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
:facedesk:

GM

plastic_indian
02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
;1203395']:facedesk:

GM

****, man, you can't save everyody...

Mad Scientist
02-02-2013, 11:42 PM
;1203395']:facedesk:

GM

Doh! I knew it was something obvious I was missing! Thanks!

****, man, you can't save everyody...
Hey, he saved me, so don't discourage him!
Regards,
Eric

[ChaosweaveR]
02-03-2013, 08:16 AM
See? I'm not as bad as a dingledouche as some like to say about me. lol

Mad Scientist
02-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Yes, you are alright! No matter what anybody else says!

iirc, yes the manifolds on the vans were less restrictive, only by a small amount. its been answered before for sure here sometime ago. back when this forum was productive. it would take some digging to find it

Well, you are gonna have to do A LOT of digging cause it ain't true! The front log is exactly the same! I confirmed it today at the J.Y. I went through row after row and finally found two Montanas, removed their shrouds, and both of them had a casting number 10182321 log, which is exactly the same as our logs! So we have another myth busted! (And day shot.)

Let's find the guy who has installed LX9 exhaust manifolds on an N-body!
Regards,
Eric

TDavis
02-08-2013, 10:51 PM
What are good jack stands for a lowered car?

TruGreenGAGT
02-08-2013, 11:07 PM
im gunna say any...
trick is getting the jack under it. after that its just a car in the air

TDavis
02-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Key words "jack stand," not jack lol. I can get the jack under it fine with a 2x4 but I need a "low profile" jack stand to fit under it so I don't have to jack my car up so high to sit on top of the jack stands in risk of it falling.

TruGreenGAGT
02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
i know exactly what you were asking about.
and again once the car is up off the ground itll be just like any ole car on jack stands. the suspension doesn't effect the fact the car is on stands
and besides your only about wat 1-1.5 inches lower than stock. so you don't really need to go that much higher to get a standard stand under it

AleroB888
02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
..... the suspension doesn't effect the fact the car is on stands and besides your only about wat 1-1.5 inches lower than stock. so you don't really need to go that much higher to get a standard stand under it

A standard stand under it..... I think I understand

TruGreenGAGT
02-09-2013, 12:01 AM
a normal ole everyday jack stand being used under the car to hold it up....better?
lol

AleroB888
02-09-2013, 12:25 AM
a normal ole everyday jack stand being used under the car to hold it up....better?
lol

No deobfuscation necessary, it was clear enough, just distracted by the coincidental repetition of terms.

DrFabulous
02-09-2013, 06:47 AM
You can throw any jackstand that can hold the weight under any car... I've used the same set on my car that I've used on my folks' truck. It just means I have to jack my car that much higher lol

geldartb
02-09-2013, 07:47 AM
What are good jack stands for a lowered car?

got a couple pair of these under my car. don't even have to raise the red part out of the base.. gives me enough room to move around under the car and roll over on my side without touching the bottom of the car.
Craftsman 3 ton High Lift Jack Stands
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-high-lift-jack-stands/p-00950159000P

then i took so old desks i had which are that compressed wood **** to make up the 2" that i lost when i lowered it since my jack wouldn't fit under the front anymore.

pretty sure this is the jack i ended up with. 4 ton floor jack. it's a 4ton jack that weighs 4 tons.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-ton-floor-jack/p-00950156000P

You can throw any jackstand that can hold the weight under any car... I've used the same set on my car that I've used on my folks' truck. It just means I have to jack my car that much higher lol
sounds like the ones i got. iirc i got them on sale..

TDavis
02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
If slotted AND drilled rotors are so bad and don't last as long as one or the other, why do so many expensive cars and supers cars have them?

bricooper78
02-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Because racekarz!

lol nah, I think it's an aesthetic thing

SpeedRacer69
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
99 GAGT. I am trying to remove the fuse box under the hood on the drive side. I am putting in a system and at the moment I am stuck as to where to run the power cord. I know threw the fire wall/grommet. My problem is I can't get to the grommet I want to use because the fuse box won't budge. I've read about a clip and there's no clip. I've removed a bolt and its still not moving. :( ive been working on this for days! Help please.

Jake
02-20-2013, 01:44 PM
If slotted AND drilled rotors are so bad and don't last as long as one or the other, why do so many expensive cars and supers cars have them?

My drilled / slotted rotors on my camaro have about 35k on them, recently started getting real minor shaking when I step on the pedal, I would consider 35k pretty decent on this car.

bricooper78
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
99 GAGT. I am trying to remove the fuse box under the hood on the drive side. I am putting in a system and at the moment I am stuck as to where to run the power cord. I know threw the fire wall/grommet. My problem is I can't get to the grommet I want to use because the fuse box won't budge. I've read about a clip and there's no clip. I've removed a bolt and its still not moving. :( ive been working on this for days! Help please.

Are you talking about running your amp wire through the firewall? Or just a key-hot for the head unit?

rocketfast123
02-21-2013, 07:57 AM

I don't know either. I got a super cheap set for the front and back on the alero from summit. At first they had to be broken in. Alot of grinding at first, but now a year later. They still work fine on the same pads.

ps
summit has brought them back. $44 for the back and $46 for the front. The pic is about 2 months ago before i did the hubs.

DrFabulous
02-22-2013, 10:06 AM

They can serve a purpose on the right car, but for GA owners that aren't tracking, it's just for looks.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/brake-rotors1.htm

Mad Scientist
02-24-2013, 09:28 PM
From page ten of this thread:

My power driver seat won't raise itself up. Motor spins but nothing happens. Whats wrong? Is it hard to fix? Is this problem common? Are the ones in the J.Y. likely to be bad too? If it's too big a PITA to fix, can I just reach under the seat and somehow spin something to raise it manually? I did a search and all I could find on the subject was a "...the gears are probably bad". Is this true? What are my options if it is? What else could be wrong?

Please, any info on the above post would be appreciated.

I went to the J.Y. today to get another unit but there doesn't seem to be any way to remove the damn thing without tearing the seat up in the process. There are two pins that have to be removed but you can't drive them out because the seat frame is in the way. The pins are bigger on one end which prevents them from going out the other way. Moving the rails forward or backwards doesn't help as that's not the part that is in the way. How do you remove this thing?

I could only find one spot where a person could operate the thing manually. It's at the end of the motor that is opposite of the gearbox. The problem with that location is that it is BEFORE the gearbox which is the part that is likely bad. So spinning that accomplishes absolutely nothing because all you are spinning is the motor. You haven't bypassed anything other than the motor, which I already know is fine.

Guys, I really need help on this. What do you do to get that seat raised back up?? Has anybody here dealt with this? Do these things break often? I'd settle for a Micky Mouse fix at this point!
Regards,
Eric

bricooper78
02-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Dude, mine came back with that not working.. I haven't messed with it yet, or I'd tell you what I knew about it. My car is more a decoration around the house at this point lol , it hasn't gotten 3 miles put on it in the last month. Seriously, I have the progressive snapshot thing, it's 2.89 miles lol

What I was going to do, remove the seat, bring it inside, and then start dinking around with connections. I assume it's dirty, or the motor is out. I doubt much more can be wrong with it.

EJ01GAGT
02-26-2013, 06:00 PM
What's the purpose of strut bars

bricooper78
02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
extra rigidity across the top of the struts. helps keep the body stiffer i guess is the easiest way to explain it

EJ01GAGT
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Ok another question I've heard of throttle cables loosening over time therefore reducing pedal response. Is there a way to tighten or check throttle cables on a ga? If so how?

MAC the KNIFE
02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Ok another question I've heard of throttle cables loosening over time therefore reducing pedal response. Is there a way to tighten or check throttle cables on a ga? If so how?

if throttle response is your concern, there is a "set screw" on the throttle body. you know how you can press down on the throttle cable linkage thingy and rev the engine from under the hood? and when you take your finger off it closes itself by a spring. well just look at where it makes contact and stops, not allowing it to close any further. that contact point is a set screw or nut and bolt.

tinkering with that setting even a little bit can cause you to have a high idle, or maybe stall the engine from too low idle.

bricooper78
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't see that being a concern on these motors, but I'm not the expert on that by a longshot. I don't think there is enough tension to stretch that cable enough to cause any real slack..

*cue someone to prove me wrong now lol

EJ01GAGT
02-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't see that being a concern on these motors, but I'm not the expert on that by a longshot. I don't think there is enough tension to stretch that cable enough to cause any real slack..

Cool just wanted to make sure.

bricooper78
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Yea, but check back in, that stuff looks to be about the size of bicycle cable, and it does stretch, but then again, the heat may soften it up..

can you lay your finger on there and move the cable without moving the throttle linkage?

EJ01GAGT
02-26-2013, 07:37 PM
I'll try that in the morning then against maybe i shouldn't tinker with this car still have a lot of stuff to fix before I start trying to go faster lol but I will look into it more coop.

bricooper78
02-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Just checking that tension, hold the wheel that it goes into (that's the throttle body linkage) solid, and just push down on the cable, do it as far back as you can, see how far it moves(deflects), and report back!

EJ01GAGT
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Cool so if the linkage is tight I should b cool.

bricooper78
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Well, if ya hold that linkage so it can't turn, and then push down the cable, you should be able to see how much deflection the cable has in it. If you don't hold that linkage and push down on the cable, you'll just turn the linkage

Mad Scientist
02-26-2013, 10:24 PM
I would just have somebody floor the pedal and hold it there while I checked to see if the throttle is hitting it's stop on the throttle body. If it isn't hitting it's stop, you know that something is amiss. If you really want to be elaborate, you could remove the intake tube/mass air meter and look at the throttle blade at WOT. (These tests are of course only performed with the engine OFF.)

I have another question: What are the PCM interchangeability rules for the 99-05 GAGTs? I've researched this already and I've already learned that a GAGT MUST use only GAGT PCMs because of the GAGT's unique final drive ratio. What I haven't been able to ascertain and what I still need to know is what year range PCMs will work with what year range cars?
Regards,
Eric

bricooper78
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Thank you Eric!

navox
03-06-2013, 02:54 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT in desperate need of some new floor mats. I tried ordering some "custom" mats from WeatherTech but they were anything but custom. Has anyone here had luck finding a good fit for their replacement mats online? Thanks!

Mad Scientist
03-11-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm getting conflicting information about just exactly where the odometer's info is stored. Which "brain" is it stored in? What does it look like? Where is this brain located? How do I get to it? I'm looking at a GAGT parts car and I don't want to spend the money on a CarFax. It's just a parts car after all. Besides, CarFax isn't all that. last Summer I checked out a Buick Regal GS that supposedly had only 67,000 original miles on it. both CarFax and AutoCheck confirmed that the miles were true but then I actually saw the car in person and I can promise you that it was at least 167,000 miles, not 67,000!

So anyways, I just want to be able to take a peek at the odometer's brain and see if it looks like it's been changed, replaced, tampered with, etc. If it looks unmolested, I'll be able to be more confident that the odometer reading is accurate. So where is the odometer's brain located?
Regards,
Eric

thapunisha333
03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
miles are not stored in the pcm, i swapped mine for a tuned pcm and kept the same miles. i believe they are stored in the dash or cluster gauge.

mfuller
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
I have a 2001 Grand Am GT in desperate need of some new floor mats. I tried ordering some "custom" mats from WeatherTech but they were anything but custom. Has anyone here had luck finding a good fit for their replacement mats online? Thanks!
The Lloyd mats from PFYC appear to be of very good quality.
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA2003/GAINT/Lloyd+Premium+Floor+Mats+for+Grand+Am.html

AleroB888
03-15-2013, 01:59 PM
What's the best way to take the front license plate holder off?

SikMindz
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM

Pull.

Pull hard.

bricooper78
03-15-2013, 08:10 PM
that's what he said

kzulfic
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
what's the best way to take the front license plate holder off?

fire!

bricooper78
03-15-2013, 08:30 PM

T-bone another car.

Mad Scientist
03-16-2013, 04:24 AM
..... and then illegally flee the scene. That is the absolute certain way to lose your front plate (so that you can be found later). It's almost as if the OEMs designed them that way on purpose.

miles are not stored in the pcm, i swapped mine for a tuned pcm and kept the same miles. i believe they are stored in the dash or cluster gauge.

Thanks for your response!

Since you say: "I believe...", it makes me think that you are not quite sure though. I need to be sure before I proceed. Does anybody else know for sure just exactly where the car's miles are stored?
Regards,
Eric

geldartb
03-16-2013, 07:00 AM

reciprocating saw and a torch.

but aren't there tabs on the bottom edge that runs under the car a little almost inline with the holes on the plate.

BrittsBen
03-25-2013, 02:15 PM
What is the name of the hose coming off the fuel pressure regulator that feeds underneath the map into the back of the intake plenum?

We've had this car for about six months now and just discovered that the map had been cut and the nipple removed with the hose being fed straight through. Weird stuff. Am getting a new map but having trouble finding this darn hose.

TDavis
04-10-2013, 01:26 PM
How much HP could you free up with a ECU tune or w.e its called?

mfuller
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
How much HP could you free up with a ECU tune or w.e its called?
On a stock car? Realistically, 5-10.

bricooper78
04-10-2013, 07:50 PM
With a CAI and exhaust, I think it was supposed to be 20 ish, right?

TDavis
04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Borla exhaust or Pacesetter exhaust. They'll both get atleast some power gains right?

I know the borla is the same diameter as stock but I hear that better quality bends can help with a little power too?

MAC the KNIFE
04-17-2013, 12:55 PM
the big restriction is the stock headers. so unless you've got headers, then any extra flow in the cat-back size won't matter at all. EITHER are big improvements over the stock crush bends.

TDavis
04-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Stock front rotor size on GA? 10.9?

geldartb
04-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Stock front rotor size on GA? 10.9?

sounds right..yes they are on backwards it made it easier to line the tape up

some pic i took years ago

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9315/stockrotorsizemf5.jpg

impala rotor size..

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9702/impalarotorsizems5.jpg

kzulfic
04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Haha, first glance at thepic I was like, why would he put the rotor on wrong? Then I realized to measure them. :doh:

stewartfn18
04-18-2013, 06:34 PM
On a stock car? Realistically, 5-10.

i would say more than that. idk though becuase i had a tune done by MPR. my canned tune on a stock genesis gains 40whp and 80wtq all by itself. I <3 my turbo

geldartb
04-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Haha, first glance at thepic I was like, why would he put the rotor on wrong? Then I realized to measure them. :doh:

yeah it wasn't possible to get the tape flat the other way. don't remember why i took the pics.

the other day i remembered i had an imageshack account and those were in there. lol

TDavis
04-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Is it possible to take out the trim that goes around the rear quarter panel window on a coupe from a car at the JY to replace mine? Just noticed mine had a little piece broken off on the top where i'm guessing hail broke it, I guess the top half of the trim is so old its turned into pretty much plastic now.

kzulfic
04-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Hail did the same **** to mine. IIRC, you have to take the quarter glass out to change that part of the trim. The rest of should be able to come out without too much work.

TDavis
04-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Oh lovely.

How do you get the back glass out? If thats the case I probably won't even do it, all that sht just to change a little trim. -.-

TDavis
04-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Sites to buy stubby antennas off of? Or any shorter antenna then whats on the car. I don't feel like spending $30 atm for the one on customgrandam.

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 07:06 PM
eBay, amazon, any of the car supplier sites... they're everywhere

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Sites to buy stubby antennas off of? Or any shorter antenna then whats on the car. I don't feel like spending $30 atm for the one on customgrandam.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=121099486764&index=20&nav=SEARCH&nid=15688047928

luckily aleros dont have antennas

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 07:48 PM
^that's the one I have.

aleros have no antenna? poppy****!

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 08:22 PM
nope its connected inside on the back window IIRC.

im glad there is no antenna, so much cleaner look.

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 08:24 PM
The old style wire in the glass trick?????????? that's super weak! I want an antenna that isn't bolted on the car

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
ive never had problems with it. doesnt bother me anyway as long as there isnt a 3ft one on a fender or qauter panel lol

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
yea that's what I mean, they used to be a wire in the windshield back in the 70s, and they always worked fine from what I remember

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
i thought you ment it was junk lol

humonculi
04-22-2013, 11:56 PM
What are fun things ( not costy me student) to do on car ohh and
Stupid question but i change my headlight to hid why dont they turn off in the day

sleepyalero
04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
exhaust, you can have a exhaust shop fab you up a nice exhaust system quite cheap. my buddy has an 04 suburban and got an exhaust done for like 215 or 315.. i forget but i know it wasnt more then 315 and got nice stainless tips added :)

cai is also a nice add on, its 40-60$ pff ebay. just buy yourself a better air filter then what they give you off ebay. (spectre or k&n filter)

if you wanna get more pricey or technical, headers... throttle body... ported manifolds

mfuller
04-23-2013, 06:14 AM
What are fun things ( not costy me student) to do on car
Keep it clean.
Seriously. Regular washings help keep the paint looking good, and you'll feel better driving a clean car.
Best fun thing that costs nearly nothing.

MAC the KNIFE
04-23-2013, 12:04 PM
you can put LED's all over, under, and inside your car for about $30.
or upgrade the speakers.

humonculi
04-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Stupid question but i change my headlight to hid why dont they turn off in the day

bricooper78
04-23-2013, 03:44 PM
you have to disable the DRL module, which is here:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17559&highlight=disable+DRL

rowe
05-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Beautiful site guys,thanks for having me.
I need some help on a hub bearing problem.
The 2 bolts that hold the bracket that holds the
Pads in place stripped the heads off tryin to
Take them out, there not the caliper guide bolts
They actually hold the bracket that hold the pads
In place when they slide in and out.the bolts are
In the back and i am gonna have to cut or grind the
Heads off to get tha bracket out of the way to change
The bearing.anyone know what to call these bolts for
Lookup puposes or where to get the info or bolts?
Sorry for front disc.

kzulfic
05-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't know the exact name, I would think caliper bracket bolt?

I wouldn't want to grind the head off as you stated, maybe try some PB blaster and an impact, or a pair of vice grips. You may be able to find a socket size a little smaller and hammer it on, iirc it's a 15mm, if so maybe a fourteen, or a standard size may work better, like 5/8 or 11/16. One of those should do the trick. if not you can always drill it out, but you may need a tap to clean out the threads though.

young gun
05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't know the exact name, I would think caliper bracket bolt?

I wouldn't want to grind the head off as you stated, maybe try some PB blaster and an impact, or a pair of vice grips. You may be able to find a socket size a little smaller and hammer it on, iirc it's a 15mm, if so maybe a fourteen, or a standard size may work better, like 5/8 or 11/16. One of those should do the trick. if not you can always drill it out, but you may need a tap to clean out the threads though.

Caliper bracket bolts would be the correct term. And when I stripped mine I believe I had to get them from a dealer...

Get something like this.. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952166000P

Hammer the socket on stripped bolt, turn the wheel so you can get a ratchet/breaker bar in there, goto town. Just make sure you use a properly sized wrench this time and get it off. I used to make the same mistake but now I always use the biggest size wrench/ratchet/ or breaker bar I can to insure I get the most torque I can get on the bolt/nut to make sure it comes out clean. A little PB blaster on a bolt you haven't touched before helps too ( like the day before you tackle a project)

rowe
05-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys,,,will takle. It this weekend and fill in the details.

rowe
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Well I took it to pepboys on north florida ave in
Tampa,,,they did a great job and i didnt have to
Touch it,,,and a great price too.

TDavis
05-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Do the two screw holes on the 3 gauge A pillar screw into the existing A-pillar overlay for all you're doing is putting the 3 gauge pillar over it?

Smithkid21
05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Do the two screw holes on the 3 gauge A pillar screw into the existing A-pillar overlay for all you're doing is putting the 3 gauge pillar over it?

Nope. You remove the old pillar, and put the 3 pod pillar in its place and screw it in.

AleroB888
06-10-2013, 12:43 PM
What is the minimum speed that cruise control can be set for and still work?

F U in advance :D

kzulfic
06-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Iirc It's 25mph, but I can't remember for sure.

MAC the KNIFE
06-10-2013, 04:32 PM
i've used it at 35mph before. it shouldn't be too hard to find out. how slow are you trying for?

1995quad4se
06-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Can you run your remote power wire to your license plate light? I'm running my stock deck and would like to have a "switch" to turn my amp on and off during the day time, then I'll put a switch inline so that way if I don't want it on at night I'll flip the switch. The reason being there is no good location to mount a switch inside my car but I do listen to talk radio every once in a while as well as tote my kid around so I want it off during those times.

Come to think about it I'm using a LOC and I'm not sure if it has a remote wire, would I just be able to tap into the speaker wire coming in or is that too much of a variable voltage.

MAC the KNIFE
06-16-2013, 07:05 AM
use a relay to open/close the amp's circuit. use a "make a circuit" fuse plug-in to tap power for the relay and put the switch in the relay's power line.
don't tap into the license plate light circuit.

and every one of my cars have had switches, usually hidden, so use your imagination a bit harder

Dmac8323
07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
What is the wire harness I need to put in an after market cd player? I have a 04 pontiac grand am gt with monsoon cd player. The LED lights have burnt out and cds do not play right which is why I wanna replace it. I know the wire harness is not cheap but I seem to not be able to find the correct one because my system does NOT have ON-STAR and does NOT have Steering Controls. Each one I have found says to keep these features which I don't have. So i don't know if they will work or not. Ive even tried crutchfield and get the same results. If someone could give me a link to a correct one or give me the name it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and sorry for such a lame question! Also I forgot, It does have the rear stock AMP and I would like to retain my Chimes!!!!

bricooper78
07-10-2013, 07:19 PM
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12619368788637590365?safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=7fR&channel=cs&sclient=psy-ab&q=gmoc+01&oq=gmoc+01&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc&biw=1382&bih=759&tch=1&ech=1&psi=pAfeUaPsFcKIyAGqnYH4DQ.1373505445192.7&sa=X&ei=0QfeUZvwEcTCywHProCYBQ&ved=0CKkBELkk

gmos 01 That's the original, it's expensive, it's for monsoon, and it'll keep your chimes intact.

there is also the walmart one, it's 10 bucks (plus or minus a couple), and you'll lose your dingers.

Dmac8323
07-10-2013, 07:47 PM
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12619368788637590365?safe=off&client=ubuntu&hs=7fR&channel=cs&sclient=psy-ab&q=gmoc+01&oq=gmoc+01&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48705608,d.aWc&biw=1382&bih=759&tch=1&ech=1&psi=pAfeUaPsFcKIyAGqnYH4DQ.1373505445192.7&sa=X&ei=0QfeUZvwEcTCywHProCYBQ&ved=0CKkBELkk

gmos 01 That's the original, it's expensive, it's for monsoon, and it'll keep your chimes intact.

there is also the walmart one, it's 10 bucks (plus or minus a couple), and you'll lose your dingers.

Thanks!! I knew it wouln't be cheap but like I said was struggling to find the right one. If I could ask a few more questions about that one.

Is it just match the wires and good to go?
Will I need to tap into switched power like the cheaper ones with no chime?

Because I did but a cheap harness, however, I needed to tap into the switched power and I have no clue how to do that.

bricooper78
07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
You need to tap into something that is hot with the key, do you have a multi-meter, or at least a 12v test light? that will show you what is on with the key, and what is off with the key. the car is digital, aftermarket systems are not, you have to "force" them into powering up and down with that jumper wire.

as far as matching wires, your stereo has it's color codes for what speakers are, and what the constant *the yellow wire generally, it holds your clock and pre-programmed settings*, key on *red usually, covered that up there^ * and the black ground. you should have a blue remote on, that you tie into an amp, or a powered antenna (which we don't have on our cars) to turn things on and off with the head unit.

Dmac8323
07-10-2013, 08:07 PM
yeah I'm pretty sure I got one of those. So I will have to tap into switched power regardless of the type of harness I buy?? I really wanna make sure I get this right because I don't want to mess anything up..

And thanks for the detailed reasons for each wire being matched and why. I've always just matched wires and never really understood why some got used and didn't.

bricooper78
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Yea, the colors are more brand specific than anything, sometimes they match, but generally, they don't. Like Pioneer, green, purple, grey, and white are the speaker wire pairs, and a lot of the time, you'll see those colors, the ones with the stripe on them are the negative side of that speaker, so they hook up to the - side on the speaker, while the solid colors are positive, and hook up to the + side of the speaker. Of course you're using one wiring diagram (from the head unit), and then matching it up with the wiring harness, so it can send the right signal down the right wire through the car, which is FAR EASIER THAN JUST WIRING THE WHOLE CAR with new wires lol

Oh, power off, best bet to unhook either side of the battery to kill it all, I still prefer the positive, but the negative supposedly works, you're just removing the ground from the circuit that way, and it's supposedly better for the onboard computer, I don't know, I still undo the positive, but I'm old lol

Once you get everything wired and together, remember to plug in your antenna, and you'll need GM antenna adapter to get from the tiny GM antenna plug up to the standard motorola size antenna plug that aftermarket uses, and then hook up your battery, and give everything the once over, make sure you can go front left, right, rear left, rear right with the fader, to make sure everything works BEFORE you button up the dash, it's soooo frustrating to have to undo everything after you think you're done, and then you'll make 3 times as many mistakes

Dmac8323
07-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks a lot!! I already got the antenna adapter so I'm also good there. Pretty much just needed the harness and once I get that I should be good to go! Thanks again for taking the time to explain stuff for me and If i come across anymore question I'll be back.

bricooper78
07-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Alright man, that's (mostly) what we're here for! lol

bricooper78
07-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Okay, I'll toss one up now...

What is the name of the small piece of metal that gets soldiered on the rear window, that then gets plugged in, that makes the wires for the rear defroster work?

Believe it or not, I knocked one off cleaning the car, and the other one came off on my detail guy lol and I lost one, so I'm going to have to grab one. I'm heading to my buddy's junk yard, I'm sure there will be 1, or 4 there lol but I wanna know what that thing is called

TruGreenGAGT
07-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Rear defroster tab?

bricooper78
07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
That might be it lol

It's bound to have a name, I just want to know what that name is

03GT SilverGun
07-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Where can I get the black trim piece that goes on the outer passenger side of the windshield.

Mine was broken and glued in when I bought the car just never got around to getting a new one.

bricooper78
07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
I saw tasers being built on "How it's made"... and they sealed up the inside of the handle with some fluid, and sank the electronics in it.

Anybody have any clue what that would've been? I was assuming it's just silicone, but I'm not sure. I actually have an LED idea, but I don't want to risk shorting something out and causing a ton of problems for myself lol

MAC the KNIFE
07-28-2013, 06:37 AM
i think it's epoxy. if you're trying something with LED's, silicone dries to a frosty finish. epoxy could be polished after drying clear as glass.

or just try both!

bricooper78
07-28-2013, 08:14 AM
I'll do some digging, trying to find a totally clear epoxy, or maybe make a backer plate and just not try to submerge.

working on an idea, if it comes out like it's in my head, it'll be cool

EJ01GAGT
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know which halo headlights don't require u to cut your header panel and are they plug and play?

TDavis
08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
No "halo" projectors will be plug n play, you will have to wire the halo to something for it to be on. Everything else is plug n play.

EJ01GAGT
08-01-2013, 12:53 PM
No "halo" projectors will be plug n play, you will have to wire the halo to something for it to be on. Everything else is plug n play.

well that sucks not that into my ga anymore to do any splicing.

thapunisha333
08-01-2013, 11:06 PM
just grab some quick connects and still will only take a few minutes. aiming the headlights will probably take longer

SikMindz
08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Can I get a what what?

[ChaosweaveR]
08-02-2013, 07:01 PM
>2013
>still wanting halos in headlights

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/Xaus59/random/null_zps849686e7.jpg

TDavis
08-25-2013, 07:32 AM
What torque specs do you want to be torque'ing your strut nuts to without breaking the studs?

kzulfic
08-25-2013, 07:48 AM
19 ft/lbs

young gun
12-24-2013, 01:52 PM
I have my hands on a 9004 HID kit for a 2000 silhouette. Pretty sure its a 6k high/low bulb(Bi-xenon???)

We are a 9007 though. I'm thinking this won't work? I have pictures if anyone wants to look at them

[ChaosweaveR]
12-24-2013, 02:45 PM
No, 9004 and 9007 aren't interchangeable...

young gun
12-24-2013, 03:03 PM
;1234550']No, 9004 and 9007 aren't interchangeable...

Allow me to be dumb.

Just looked something up(only one source) and for hid kits it says 9004 and 9007 are wired differently for connecting to the stock wiring. All it that is different is the wire locations on the plug. So I'm drawing from this that I can rewire the plug and it should work?

http://blog.modifystreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/9004-9007-hid-plug-pin-polarity-pattern.jpg

Also info from here http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2012/08/13/difference-between-9004-and-9007-bulbs/

Smithkid21
12-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Allow me to be dumb.

Just looked something up(only one source) and for hid kits it says 9004 and 9007 are wired differently for connecting to the stock wiring. All it that is different is the wire locations on the plug. So I'm drawing from this that I can rewire the plug and it should work?

http://blog.modifystreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/9004-9007-hid-plug-pin-polarity-pattern.jpg

That's what I did to my Morimoto relay harness. I re-pinned it to work with my 9007 bulb socket with my retros.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Well, if you're crafty, they're interchangeable. lol

young gun
12-24-2013, 06:28 PM
That's what I did to my Morimoto relay harness. I re-pinned it to work with my 9007 bulb socket with my retros.

Sweet thanks

bricooper78
01-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Lowering the car doesn't change the angle at which the CV joints would ride would it?

the car needs struts replaced anyway, and the CV is shot, so might as well rip everything apart and replace it all at once, right??? right.

actually thinking about doing the quickstruts/bearings/halfshafts and do it all at once then go get it realigned.

plastic_indian
01-31-2014, 04:52 PM
Lowering the car doesn't change the angle at which the CV joints would ride would it?.

Ride height changes will affect this, but it is effectively inconsequential in this scenario.

bricooper78
01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much sir.

Now I just have to actually decide 'to hell with it' and put shorter springs on lol

DrFabulous
01-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Bumping this since it's been almost a year, and I'm fairly certain people have stupid questions to ask.

bricooper78
01-28-2015, 03:51 PM
why does racing stripes in muh underwears show up only after'en i goes to the bathroom?

plastic_indian
01-28-2015, 06:11 PM
Turd-bo boost?

bricooper78
01-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Turd-bo boost?

http://www.phlashers.com/images/aWinner.gif

AaronGTR
01-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Why do college professors seem to think that their class is the ONLY homework you have, and that you don't work or have ANYTHING else to do?

DrFabulous
01-30-2015, 07:13 AM
Why do college professors seem to think that their class is the ONLY homework you have, and that you don't work or have ANYTHING else to do?

Amen. Not every college student is an 18-year old with no job and only taking 3 classes.....

Shade2012
01-30-2015, 08:12 AM

Heard that. Full time student with two part time jobs. Makes making the Dean's List pretty tough.

AaronGTR
01-30-2015, 09:52 AM
My English prof assigned a two and a half page narrative essay last night... rough draft due Tuesday! And it's superbowl weekend... plus I'm heading to my girlfriends today (who I haven't seen in a month), and I work all day Monday and Tuesday and have a 4 hour electronics class Monday night, so that really only leaves me with today and this weekend. And I hate writing and am not good at it at all. It takes me weeks to write a paper, and the final draft is due week after next. :(

TruGreenGAGT
01-30-2015, 10:35 AM
um pay someone to write it for ya... problem solved

DrFabulous
01-30-2015, 10:36 AM
What's the topic? :whistle:

young gun
01-30-2015, 07:51 PM
um pay someone to write it for ya... problem solved

LOL that is what my girlfriend is for

H.O. Driver
01-31-2015, 07:25 AM
after 2 or 3 good beers paper writing was easy lol and I am not very good at writing either.

Pontiac_guy99
02-17-2015, 08:16 PM
I gotta dumb question for ya.

How many grand am engines came with a dohc between 92-05?

bricooper78
02-17-2015, 08:26 PM
The DOHC were the 4 bangers, but I think that stopped on the 5th gen bodies, the 2nd gen (square bodies) had a quad 4, and I think I remember a 96, 97 ga that was a quad 4 and a 5 speed...

hell, that's a good question as far as i'm concerned dude

Pontiac_guy99
02-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Ok good - I wasn't sure if that was something simple, like everyone knew it but me.

Thanks for the answer though.

bricooper78
02-17-2015, 10:12 PM
I only remember 3 with that DOHC, and 2 were the square bodies from pre 95(IIRC), and one was a 96,97....???

So the 3rd and 4th Gens had it, and I also remember that the square bodies were the ones that got it first, and had some issues of them shi*ting the bed at first, but that's literally everything I remember about them.

Jump over to the GAOC and dig it up, there are a couple of the 4cyl guys still over there, and I'm sure a quick search will give you FAR more info than I'd ever remember (and really SpyHunter was the biggest 4cyl guru here by the time I showed up here) , unless we have a hidden 4cyl expert lurking???

**AHEM COUGH COUGH PLASTIC INDIAN AHEM**

[ChaosweaveR]
02-17-2015, 10:16 PM
5th gens had two different 4 cylinders, the LD9, which came from the older quad4 engines, and the L61, the 2.2L DOHC Ecotec.

DrFabulous
02-18-2015, 07:22 AM
Yup, LD9 version of the Quad 4 DOHC engine was used in Grand Ams from 96-01. Good motor, but was getting up their in age (introduced in late 80's), and was getting behind in noise/vibration and fuel economy from other 4-cylinders in the market.

If you want a fun motor, find a W41 version of the Quad 4 that came in the Cutlass Calias and Acheiva SCX... 190hp, ran mid-14's back in the early 90's which was faster than the Camaro.

Spy still holds the unofficial 1/4 mile record for 5th gen GA's in his 2001 Quad 4 powered GASE with a 12.4 @ 112 mph. :)

plastic_indian
02-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Four cylinder Gen V cars were built with the LD9 (VIN T) Q4 as posted above until succeeded by the Ecotec (VIN F) in '02. Gen IV cars could be had with the LD2 or the hotter LG0 Q4, depending upon model year/equipment package. LD9 is a 2.4, the others displace 2.3.

Some Gen IV cars may have been built with the L40, which was a Q4 with a single cam head. The early SOHC castings had a problem with external cracking that would intersect one of the exhaust ports.

As Fab stated, the hot one is the W41, installed only in Olds units. Wrecking yard spotter's tip: the W41 IDI cover reliefs are painted red.

Engine Builder magazine had a short but very informative article on Q4 revisions and parts interchanges; this was probably 10 or 15 years ago, but should be considered required reading for someone beginning to play with Quads.

young gun
02-18-2015, 01:09 PM
Wrecking yard spotter's tip: the W41 IDI cover reliefs are painted red.

Protip right there.

DrFabulous
02-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Wrecking yard spotter's tip: the W41 IDI cover reliefs are painted red.

Don't they say W41 on them in addition to the "16v Quad Four DOHC"?

plastic_indian
02-18-2015, 02:50 PM

On second thought, they do...

bricooper78
02-18-2015, 06:44 PM
The Indian droppin' KNOWLEDGE again! I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sad the fact that you've forgot more than I've ever known about stuff.

rocketfast123
02-26-2015, 07:06 AM

http://www.teamforwardmotion.com/members/jguyton/W41_IDI_Cover.jpg

This is what i have on my LD(.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x311/rocketfast321/mickey/396929_10150492925644485_502894484_8544311_1484344 002_n-1.jpg

Pontiac_guy99
03-22-2015, 12:04 PM
I have another dumb question!

Is the foam in the GT seats different from the SE foam?

Like, will the seat skins from a gt clip on to an se with no problem?

bricooper78
03-22-2015, 07:20 PM
I doubt they're different at all. SE seats have side bolsters in them? If so, then yea, you're fine using whatever you find.

young gun
03-25-2015, 03:47 PM
I love and don't want to give up my Borla but it is 2.25 inches in diameter and I want to bump it up to 2.5 atleast, for at some point I will be needing the extra flow.

Can I just have some one make the hole for the inlet a little bigger to accept 2.5in pipe? Not worried about the outlets as there would be two 2.25 outlets for one 2.5 inlet, restriction should still be the muffler itself not the exiting pipes.

Anyone run the Borla exhaust with no resonator or another brand resonator? Cause I dont want it raspy as ****.

blckgagt
03-25-2015, 08:11 PM
I ran the borla without a resonator. Thought it sounded really good and not very raspy at all imo. I probably would of kept it if it wasn't for the smaller piping. If you are thinking about a larger exhaust system, i'd go with magnaflow. Nice deep growl, no rasp either.

young gun
03-25-2015, 08:52 PM
I ran the borla without a resonator. Thought it sounded really good and not very raspy at all imo. I probably would of kept it if it wasn't for the smaller piping. If you are thinking about a larger exhaust system, i'd go with magnaflow. Nice deep growl, no rasp either.

http://i.imgur.com/yrBT2UU.gif

Borla is staying hence my question.