Sounds like metal on metal when braking.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like metal on metal when braking....

rizer
10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Im just having louds of fun with random problems with my car. Ive noticed after i drive 30 miles to work, when i get off the highway and start braking, it litterally sounds like i have no pad left on the drivers front brake pads and im metal to metal, sounds horrible. I will do that on every stop till it sits for awhile then i will be fine till its driving a long ways again.

I have plenty of pads in the side and outside and there is no grooves on the rotors. Any ideas? Im thinking caliper but this is just a weird deal

sleepyalero
10-29-2012, 03:43 PM
check the metal slides that the pads slide into, if they arent seated properly it can rub. did you look at the rotor to see if there is an indentation of something that has been scraping?

rizer
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Yup, there is no grooves on the rotors at all. I might it all apart tonight. I havent changed the brakes in over a year so nothings been messed with

unchained_01
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
could be a bad wheel bearing or a stripped caliper bracket bolt

carsarecool
11-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Yep, caliper bracket bolt, or something else causing a part of either the bracket, or inside edge of the caliper to rub. Might not be a noticeable groove in the rotor at first but from what you describe there's definitely metal-to-metal rubbing that shouldn't happen

rizer
11-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Took the caliper off and greased the slide bolts. Bracket bolts on the hub are tight, not loose also. Pads are good, front side seems like they might be slightly glazed though. I did notice the back side of the rotor was warmer then the front. Everything looks good though, no grooves or anything on the rotor at all, both sides smooth.

young gun
11-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Took the caliper off and greased the slide bolts. Bracket bolts on the hub are tight, not loose also. Pads are good, front side seems like they might be slightly glazed though. I did notice the back side of the rotor was warmer then the front. Everything looks good though, no grooves or anything on the rotor at all, both sides smooth.

Is it all better or is it still making the noise?

Caliper piston may be dragging thus needing to get a new caliper... On someones first brake job they pushed in the caliper improperly (unevenly) and they broke the seals and so the brakes were dragging :angel Never make that mistake again lol

Edit: Brake fluid ok? Need a flush? I need one its been 60k.. and it seems like a PITA to do it at home