Bad transmission pump and solenoid ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad transmission pump and solenoid ?

ShowMeHooters
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Fixed the problem some one didn't install a oem thermostat which was causing over heating now I think the solenoid and transmission front pump is bad any one ever have this problem let me know thanks

Symtoms I'm having are whining coming from transmission which sounds like the ps pump is bad but isn't and very hard shifting this happens once in awhile any ideas thanks

AaronGTR
11-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Are you talking about the coolant thermostat? Not having one of those shouldn't cause over heating... it would cause over cooling and/or a slow warm up.

The trans, it's hard to say without more info, ie any DTC codes or scan data. It could be a bad sensor or other electronic issue. It could be your torque convertor is shot. Can't really tell without seeing it or more specific data.

ShowMeHooters
11-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Sorry I meant I just got done figuring out why it was blowing coolant resiviors up someone installed a aftermarket thermostat for the coolant and was causing it to over heat then coolant resivior was cracking

And for the tranny

It's intermediate when it happens I will bang into gear every hear and I hear a whine or moaning noise from the tranny in third and second gear and over drive hope this helps if not let me know if u need more info thanks ! And no codes btw

ShowMeHooters
11-02-2012, 06:01 PM
It will bang into gear * and into drive and reverse also if I shut it off for a little bit it goes away or if I unplug the maf when it's on for a few mins and put it back on it goes away also if its not banging into gear and the maf is unplugged it will bang into drive and reverse and when it changes gears

AaronGTR
11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Well yeah, when you unplug the MAF and/or the MAF isn't working right, the PCM can't determine engine load and it goes to a default setting for trans shift pressures, which is basically a "limp mode" that maxes out the trans line pressure.

kzulfic
11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Sounds kinda like an intermittent connection problem from maybe the IAT or MAF. but you should still get a code. Check for power to the MAF and IAT. maybe wiggle them around while doing it see if things change. I'd start there see what happens. Hopefully it's not the trans.

IAT= 5volts

MAF= 12volts

ShowMeHooters
11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Ok I will try that next time it happens ... Should I replace the maf ?

ShowMeHooters
11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
But when it's not shifting hard I still hear that wining constantly and it bothers the crap out of me

kzulfic
11-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Could need a new hub bearing. Along with what's goin on. When were they last changed/inspected? I would check voltage first. It's a lot cheaper fix than a new MAF. About $100 at your local parts store.

ShowMeHooters
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
100 percent I know it's not the hub