Ignition lock cylinder? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition lock cylinder?

heavyharmonies
11-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Talk about bizarre timing... I took my 2003 GA to have a transmission filter/fluid done, and after parking the car in the shop's drive-up lane and doing the preliminary paperwork, the attendant who takes the car to the bay called out to me "Hey, is there anything special you have to do to start the car?" Perplexed, I went back and he said it wouldn't start. I tried it, and sure as heck, the lights on the dash came on, but it wouldn't crank.

Long and the short of it, they were able to get the car to start by turning the key to the right, letting it sit for 10 minutes (rebooting the security sequence), removing the key and restarting it. They tried several subsequent times to start the car and it started fine.

They said the lock cylinder is going bad and that I should have it replaced... to the tune of $600 ($225 for the part, $70 to rekey the lock, and 3 hours labor).

After getting over my sticker shock, I talked with the service manager, and the way he described the problem, it might happen again tomorrow, in 6 months, or never again. Rather than dropping that amount right off the bat, I'm inclined to see if it happens again as this might have been a one-time fluke.

Am I all wet in my logic? Any advice?

msmith1956
11-10-2012, 08:42 AM
This will take care of it, and save you lot's of money.
http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/

Mike Jung
11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Get a quote elsewhere.

They are hosing you on the price!

Had to get it done on my 99 GA.
& that year was more expensive on the parts.
& the bill was no where near that.

sleepyalero
11-15-2012, 05:39 PM
mines done it.... 5 times in like a year. a little annoying, but not much of a hassle for me, cause everytime its happened, its never really affected me on being late anywhere or anything. maybe it does need replaced. but i dont think it will leave me stranded cause i can always do the 10 min re learn and not worry about it for x amount of months.

but good question, i wonder if its really needed to replace it as well?

but if its simple as waiting 10 mins whenever it comes on, and its not gonna have a major affect in the long run, im not going to worry about replacing it any time soon. lol

Mike Jung
11-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Mine did it for few years as a daily driver...then one day lead to total failure.

Was lucky enough to get it home...only took a couple of hours of trying to get it to start :(
Then next day, drove it over to a garage to replace the ignition switch cylinder.

sleepyalero
11-15-2012, 07:42 PM
guess ill be buying a new one, or bypassing it sometime.

thapunisha333
11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
i think weak batteries trigger it too, if theres not enough power to get it started i think it triggers the sercurity. happened to me a few times and threw it on the battery charger for a few hours and hasnt happened in a while.

heavyharmonies
07-30-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm bringing this thread up again, as I had an odd occurrence today that may or may not be related to the issue in my original post.

(By the way, that issue never repeated again, so I never had the ignition lock cylinder replaced.)

When I drove to work this morning, the SECURITY light came on and stayed on. I thought "oh crap, it's probably that damned passlock and if I park I won't be able to start the car again". Well, timing was such that I had to get to work and figured I'd deal with the consequences after work.

I expected the car to not start this afternoon... but it did without incident, although that dash light is still on full time. I drove the car home without problem.

Related to the first incident above or likely something else?

bricooper78
07-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Just on and not flashing is the system telling you it's in "fail bypass mode" iirc, and it knows something is wrong internally within the system, so it's bypassing the system so as not to leave you stranded.

So, the good news, it ain't fixed yet lol but, it's not going to strand you, yet.