Power steering question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power steering question

Wgflatliner
11-11-2012, 10:02 PM
So here is the issue: I know the sound of a power steering pump low on fluid.. You know, the "rrrrrr" noise it makes that gets louder when you turn the wheel.

The issue is just that. It makes that noise, more so when it's cold out. The weird part is the fluid level is at max. It does bubble up as well.

I'm thinking the pump is at fault, but I'm not particularly sure. I don't want to throw money at it guessing, either.

Any other input?

Edit: is there a place I need to look in order to find out if my car has variable effort steering or electronic variable orifice steering?

I do understand there is a possibility that it it could be the rack and pinion.

Part of me wants to be safe and just replace stuff as a preventive measure, but the fiscal side of me says to not throw money away.

kzulfic
11-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I need to know what engine you have to help you entirely, but let's assume you have the 3.4.

If it has variable assist steering there will be a a plug on the left of the power steering pump if your looking at it from passenger side.

If your not sure if its the power steering pump take a bar of some sort (pry bar) and touch it to the pump (while running) with your ear to the handle and move it around different areas other than the pump and see where it loudest. If it's loudest on the pump than that should be your problem. If not could be one of your idler pullies. Your idler pullies when the bearings wear out make a similar sound to the power steering.

If you can't determine what is that way try removing the idler pullies and inspect them, if they are worn to the point of making that much noise the bearing should catch when spinning by hand. One is just below the power steering pump and the other is next to the alternator.

[ChaosweaveR]
11-11-2012, 11:37 PM
OP has the LA1, if I remember right from another thread.

Chances are, the air in the system could be causing the noise...the fact that there's air in the system, probably points to a hose failure and line replacement in the past. I've seen pumps that have run dry because of leaks have a loud whine as a result.

I'm just speculating, but look into doing a fluid flush before replacing the pump unit.

kzulfic
11-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Well I'm assuming he doesn't have any leaks since he said it was full without stating that he added any.

I could be wrong though. Air in the system could be a cause of the whine too.

Wgflatliner
11-12-2012, 08:42 AM
I need to know what engine you have to help you entirely, but let's assume you have the 3.4.

If it has variable assist steering there will be a a plug on the left of the power steering pump if your looking at it from passenger side.

If your not sure if its the power steering pump take a bar of some sort (pry bar) and touch it to the pump (while running) with your ear to the handle and move it around different areas other than the pump and see where it loudest. If it's loudest on the pump than that should be your problem. If not could be one of your idler pullies. Your idler pullies when the bearings wear out make a similar sound to the power steering.

If you can't determine what is that way try removing the idler pullies and inspect them, if they are worn to the point of making that much noise the bearing should catch when spinning by hand. One is just below the power steering pump and the other is next to the alternator.
It's definitely the power steering pump. If air is trapped how do you get it out?

rocketfast123
11-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Charge your fluid. I bet it's real ugly looking. And never been changed.

Wgflatliner
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Took the pump off to visually inspect it. The pump had a messed up seal, so I replaced it and bled the system of air. Fixed it!

kzulfic
11-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Good, glad you got it fixed. Hope the info helped.

Wgflatliner
11-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Good, glad you got it fixed. Hope the info helped.

It did, thanks.