Fuel Pump Changed, now loss of gas milege [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Changed, now loss of gas milege

xtreamdnbfreak
11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I have a 2004 Grand Am GT, 3.4l. The Fuel pump died, and the shop replaced it with a factory pump... Prior to the original pump dying i would get between 250/260 miles per tank before the gas light (reserve light) would come on.. Now, since the pump has been changed, the gas light comes on at 190/200 miles....

Why would i be loosing almost 50/60 miles? I called the shop, and they told me they have no clue why..... Could it be something to do with them needing/forgetting to calibrate something for when the light comes on.. Because also, again prior to the original pump dying, we would be able to put 13+ gallons in when we really ran the car down... Now we can only put 12.5, and it is a 14 gallon tank

Thanks

Keith

chris_gt_74
11-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I have a 2004 Grand Am GT, 3.4l. The Fuel pump died, and the shop replaced it with a factory pump... Prior to the original pump dying i would get between 250/260 miles per tank before the gas light (reserve light) would come on.. Now, since the pump has been changed, the gas light comes on at 190/200 miles....

Why would i be loosing almost 50/60 miles? I called the shop, and they told me they have no clue why..... Could it be something to do with them needing/forgetting to calibrate something for when the light comes on.. Because also, again prior to the original pump dying, we would be able to put 13+ gallons in when we really ran the car down... Now we can only put 12.5, and it is a 14 gallon tank

Thanks

Keith

I'm not sure if our pumps have floats or not but maybe something got bent when they changed it making the car think there is less gas then there really is.

Fireball
11-21-2012, 06:52 AM
Compare how much gas your putting in when the light comes on.
The gauge itself isn't an accurate measure of mileage... the fuel you put in for x amount of miles is far more accurate.