2000 GT chrome wheel cover removal ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GT chrome wheel cover removal ?

wistech
11-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Can these be removed without breaking them ? I see you can get new covers but I would like to clean up the corrosion on the outer lip so they will have to come off to repair. If they can be removed with out breakin them . What holds them on tree rivets or glue?
Thanks

AaronGTR
11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Pretty sure they are glued on with some kind of epoxy. I don't think you'll get them off in one piece.

MAC the KNIFE
11-28-2012, 08:27 PM
ditto that. i've tried to pry the plasti-chrome cover off a ruined wheel. they're glued on, and you'll just crack it. junk yard wheels probably aren't that expensive

TDavis
11-28-2012, 08:46 PM
If there was a simple way to take them off I would of done it by now. The plain silver stock GT wheels look sooo much better then the chromes.

MAC the KNIFE
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
...The plain silver stock GT wheels look sooo much better then the chromes.

#personal taste

depends on the car color, imo. then again, all the stock style 16" look like crap nowadays

*except for mine of course

HOYS
12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I've taken them off plenty of times. Heat and pry up on the undersides around the spokes. You pretty much have to destroy the cover to get them off.

Flap wheel on the aluminum wheel itself to get the epoxy off, sand, paint.

chris_gt_74
12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I've taken them off plenty of times. Heat and pry up on the undersides around the spokes. You pretty much have to destroy the cover to get them off.

Flap wheel on the aluminum wheel itself to get the epoxy off, sand, paint.

You have any pics of them removed? I wanted to do this at one time but figured the wheel would look ugly without a center cap.

HOYS
12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Here are my wheels but with hubcaps on.

If I am correct the salad shooter (99-02.5) wheels are the same aluminum wheel underneath the cover as the uncovered ones that were sold.

My 02.5-05 wheels are different than the un covered wheels as the uncovered aluminum wheels have holes in the spokes.

chris_gt_74
12-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Here are my wheels but with hubcaps on.

If I am correct the salad shooter (99-02.5) wheels are the same aluminum wheel underneath the cover as the uncovered ones that were sold.

My 02.5-05 wheels are different than the un covered wheels as the uncovered aluminum wheels have holes in the spokes.

So the 05's have holes in them? Like where at, the little triangles?

HOYS
12-03-2012, 12:56 AM
So the 05's have holes in them? Like where at, the little triangles?

The same style wheel that comes OE without the chrome cover. I'm pretty sure they came 03-05 but I'm not sure, but yes that is where there are holes. I really want them :) Very rare.

chris_gt_74
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Hmm I wonder if mine have the holes behind the cover?

wistech
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
The same style wheel that comes OE without the chrome cover. I'm pretty sure they came 03-05 but I'm not sure, but yes that is where there are holes. I really want them :) Very rare.
If they are a good looking wheel underneath I will most likely just sandblast and refinish . What are you using for center caps on your wheels?

HOYS
12-03-2012, 09:52 PM
If they are a good looking wheel underneath I will most likely just sandblast and refinish . What are you using for center caps on your wheels?

Stock Chromtec center caps.