Instrument Panel Bulbs? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel Bulbs?

sabelotodo
11-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

One of the bulbs in my instrument panel burned out and I've decided to replace all the bulbs to avoid problems later on. The bulbs are fitted to a gray plastic casing and don't seem to come apart. There are also two different sizes of bulbs. The smaller size is roughly 5 mm across and the larger is 10 mm across.

Do aftermarket versions of these bulbs exist? Or do I have to track down OEM replacements?

Any help is appreciated.

sleepyalero
11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
in the alero, they are 194 bulbs and the grey plastic piece should twist out of the panel, then the bulb should pop out of the grey piece from there. and no im sure you can just replace the bulbs with the same number and any color bulb as well.

sabelotodo
11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm having trouble getting the bulbs out of those gray pieces. I don't think they are meant to be pulled apart.

Inside the plastic casing, there is a little molded metal bracket that the bulb sits in. There are little pieces of metal (coils?) that extend out of the base of each bulb and wrap around the metal bracket. I can see that the ends of those coils are soldered to the metal bracket. So, when I yanked the bulb out -- it snapped off those coils.

(Sorry for the confusing explanation.)

Sleepy, do you know of a place where I can buy replacements?

msmith1956
11-28-2012, 04:11 PM
You can reuse those twist in bases, or buy some new ones at a FLAPS.

bricooper78
11-28-2012, 07:02 PM
ok, I've missed something.

wtf is a flaps? sounds like v.d.

is it friendly local area parts store? that's the only, and i mean ONLY clean one i can come up with

sleepyalero
11-28-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm having trouble getting the bulbs out of those gray pieces. I don't think they are meant to be pulled apart.

Inside the plastic casing, there is a little molded metal bracket that the bulb sits in. There are little pieces of metal (coils?) that extend out of the base of each bulb and wrap around the metal bracket. I can see that the ends of those coils are soldered to the metal bracket. So, when I yanked the bulb out -- it snapped off those coils.

(Sorry for the confusing explanation.)

Sleepy, do you know of a place where I can buy replacements?

these guys would be more of a help then me, i own an alero, even though they are basically the same car, my bulbs just popped right out of the grey plastic knobs. i dont know why yours dont.

msmith1956
11-29-2012, 04:45 AM
ok, I've missed something.

wtf is a flaps? sounds like v.d.

is it friendly local area parts store? that's the only, and i mean ONLY clean one i can come up with

Friendly Local Auto Parts Store... you're close enough though.

msmith1956
11-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Try this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Electrical/Instrument-Panel-Socket/_/N-25pm

sabelotodo
12-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to follow up on this by letting you know my solution. I ended up ordering bulbs from RockAuto.

The original bulbs in my car were Wagner Lighting Products miniature lamps. So, I replaced them with the same thing. The item numbers were slightly different and the plastic casings are different colors, but the bulbs appear to be the same.

quick breakdown:

4 larger sized bulbs -- original: PC 194 / replacement: PC 195

4 smaller sized bulbs -- original: PC 74 / replacement: PC 118

I've attached a picture for anyone who is curious.

msmith1956
12-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Glad you got it repaired.