2003 Grand Am No start/no crank [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Grand Am No start/no crank

linkinpark9812
12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to it being the actual starter/solenoid, but I would like to see what you guys think.

It ran fine/started when going to school. Came back out and it wouldn't start. All other systems worked. Basically if you wanted to replicate the situation in your car, it basically did the same thing as if you had the car in gear. When turned to start, everything would do its thing as normal, such as the dash and whatnot, but no crank or even solenoid noise.

I check the "PCM Acc" fuse which some said handles the neutral safety switch, and its good. Tried moving the gear shifter around too.

I then checked to make sure the starter relay under the fuse box hood was clicking. It was when I turned to start. Now I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that relay directly powers the solenoid wire on the starter.

So then I checked to make sure the Starter was getting power by checking the volts across the two big terminals on it. I got proper voltage.

So to bypass all car systems, I took a jumper cable, put one end on the solenoid post (the small wire on the starter) and then touched the other end to the battery positive. I got some small sparks, indicating a load, but no noise/clicking from the solenoid whatsoever.

So does it sound like the diagnosis is good? Also it isn't a security problem, no flashing security light.

bricooper78
12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
smack it with a hammer.

try it again, see if it doesn't turn over.

if the bendix is sticking, smacking it will most of the time break it loose for another time or two, and it also helps to show the starter is the problem

linkinpark9812
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
smack it with a hammer.

try it again, see if it doesn't turn over.

if the bendix is sticking, smacking it will most of the time break it loose for another time or two, and it also helps to show the starter is the problem

I actually did, I forgot to mention. I hit it with a wrench multiple times, while it just sitting there and also while someone held the key in the "START" position. I only hit the starter though, not the solenoid.

bricooper78
12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
yea just whack the starter.. it's not fool proof, but it's a good 75%'er lol

if you're getting power down to it, it's about gotta be. i think our o'reilly can check starters, the machine that does alternators can do starters too iirc

linkinpark9812
12-03-2012, 09:35 PM
yea just whack the starter.. it's not fool proof, but it's a good 75%'er lol

if you're getting power down to it, it's about gotta be. i think our o'reilly can check starters, the machine that does alternators can do starters too iirc

I don't know, I mean I whacked the hell out of it, or so I think I did. It died in a parking lot, so now I have to decide if I want to towed to my house or to a mechanic.....

Also when I do it with the headlights on and turn it to start, nothing dims, so I assume there is little to no load happening which again brings it to being the solenoid.

bricooper78
12-03-2012, 11:00 PM
You could very well be right, if it's dead to the starter, then you're right, nothing's getting past there, down to the starter itself.

and you directly touched the starter with a lead off the battery and it did nothing, correct? if so, that sure sounds like the internals (solenoid) is dead in there to me

linkinpark9812
12-03-2012, 11:26 PM
You could very well be right, if it's dead to the starter, then you're right, nothing's getting past there, down to the starter itself.

and you directly touched the starter with a lead off the battery and it did nothing, correct? if so, that sure sounds like the internals (solenoid) is dead in there to me

Ya, I checked to make sure that the two main wires (+ and -) for the starter had a connection, and it did based on getting a +12 volt reading. I then directly applied + voltage from the battery to the third small lead on the solenoid, which should cause the starter to crank.

While I did get a bit of a spark when connecting to positive, indicating some type of load, I got nothing from the solenoid, no noise or clicking or anything.