Car doesen't hold coolant. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car doesen't hold coolant.

ClintonP929
12-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, my car doesen't hold coolant, I'd be driving around for a couple weeks or less and then the low coolant light would go on. It doesent show any signs of leaking at all.. No puddle where I always park, and I look under car after driving and see nothing... Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?

kzulfic
12-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Could be many things, any recent work done that may have caused a leak?

What's your oil look like, is it milky or discoloured? Any overheating? These could be signs of LIM gasket or even head gasket

Open your hood inspect LIM gasket, look on the drivers side underneath throttle body, and inspect LIM gasket there. Could be coming out there and burning up you should notice steam coming out if its blown near the outer edge of the LIM.

Most likely you will experience overheating with LIM, or head gasket.

Have you looked around your water pump? At first when the bearing starts to go it tends to drip out, its just a small weep hole.

Any problems with belt squealing? This could be another sign of the water pump, fluid tends to drip on the belt. Check your hood for coolant marks, if its getting to the belt most likely it will sling it there.

Start with these and report back, and tell us what you find.

ClintonP929
12-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Could be many things, any recent work done that may have caused a leak?

What's your oil look like, is it milky or discoloured? Any overheating? These could be signs of LIM gasket or even head gasket

Open your hood inspect LIM gasket, look on the drivers side underneath throttle body, and inspect LIM gasket there. Could be coming out there and burning up you should notice steam coming out if its blown near the outer edge of the LIM.

Most likely you will experience overheating with LIM, or head gasket.

Have you looked around your water pump? At first when the bearing starts to go it tends to drip out, its just a small weep hole.

Any problems with belt squealing? This could be another sign of the water pump, fluid tends to drip on the belt. Check your hood for coolant marks, if its getting to the belt most likely it will sling it there.

Start with these and report back, and tell us what you find.

Ummm, non of the above? And not making any strange noises I dont think.. here is a vid, keep in mind its a cold start..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWLOacdCJzg&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Now that I watched the video I see you cant hear much audio.... So not sure how much that would help, but the engine is running..

ClintonP929
12-07-2012, 01:25 AM
I should also mention, my coolant cap is a bitch to take off/put on, is it plausible that my cap is screwed and doesent seal properly and it boils out?

greddy2race
12-07-2012, 09:39 PM
I have a similar problem, and I have an idea, however in plausible it might sound. I believe it is my LIM, but its not leaking into the oil. It seems like there is a small leak directly into the intake. I have noticed an above average amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust at idle. But oil looks good, car idles a bit rough sometimes. Could that be a possibility?

ClintonP929
12-07-2012, 11:06 PM
I have a similar problem, and I have an idea, however in plausible it might sound. I believe it is my LIM, but its not leaking into the oil. It seems like there is a small leak directly into the intake. I have noticed an above average amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust at idle. But oil looks good, car idles a bit rough sometimes. Could that be a possibility?

Now that you mention it, my car has white smoke from exhaust aswell...

kzulfic
12-07-2012, 11:31 PM
A rough idle and white smoke is a good sign that your LIM is bad. If your not sure the gasket is bad take it to have a compression test done.

EDIT: If you are experiencing rough idle, take a can of carb cleaner and sray where the LIM mates to the heads. Most likely it's idling rough because of a vaccum leak from either the LIM gasket or some other source. Also spray around the upper intake brake booster and other vaccum operated parts. This will help you locate the source. when you spray in affected area you will notice the idle pick up and smooth out. If you notice this you have located your problem.

ClintonP929
12-07-2012, 11:51 PM
SO I took my car to "Great Canadia Oil Change" for an oil change, but while I was in there they said my coolant has low PH levels.. Does that make any sense, or may be another problem? They recommended a "Rad Flush" but I was thinking it may just be a money grab...

kzulfic
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, it depends on the last time you had it flushed and replaced. If it has been a while, then yes. Whith aluminum components in our cars it degrades the coolant much faster than cast iron causing the ph levels to drop. when the ph levels are low it causes the coolant to turn acidic, which in turn causes your gaskets and aluminum to deteriorate, water pump, heater core and radiator leaks and problems. I'm not sure what the ph level is supposed to be, but a quick google search can tell you.

It is definitly good to keep up on regular coolant maintence, it will save you in costly repairs later on.

EDIT: Ideal ph levels should be around 9.5-10.0 and will be fine down to 7.0 anything lower should be flushed and replaced

OH2GT
12-09-2012, 04:42 PM
my car doesen't hold coolant, I'd be driving around for a couple weeks or less and then the low coolant light would go on. It doesent show any signs of leaking at all.. No puddle where I always park, and I look under car after driving and see nothing.

I had the same symptoms last summer. It ended up being a crack head. I hope that's not your sitch as it was expensive to repair. OH2

ClintonP929
12-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I go home in a couple weeks and let my dad know what you guys said, he is way more mechanical than myself..

jmgubbins5
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Looks like you have a leak a s s wipe

kzulfic
12-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Looks like you have a leak a s s wipe

WOW! YOU CAN READ!:applause:

ClintonP929
01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
So, I know I posted this a while ago and havent given an update. Thats because i have not done anything.. But earlier I started my car in the parkade at my school, and it made sooo much white smoke out of the exhaust it was crazy and filled that level of the parkade within a couple minutes.. Video of smoke right after start..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txrPL_ngy98&feature=youtu.be

And after I got to my girlfriends place (about a 5 minute drive) I looked at oil to see if the coolant made its way to the oil.. here is a pic

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/1889/img22081.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/img22081.jpg/)

Oil looks way over filled, but I think that may be because it was just running? Atleast that how it works on my dirtbtike.. Anyhow does that look normal to you guys? I got the oil changed at a shop a couple months ago.. Oh and on original post I said the coolant lasted a couple weeks, now it lasts a day, maybe 2 if im lucky with same symptoms as before, the car is seeing a mechanic tommorow, just wanted to know what you guys think so I can compare to mechanics overview

GrandAmMe
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
That's a headgasket forsure. The smoke is a pure giveaway.

bricooper78
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
^ x2

kzulfic
01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
That's a headgasket forsure. The smoke is a pure giveaway.

Yeah, and if he isn't getting much in the oil, or leaking all over, he's burning it.

Have you pulled your plugs? If you're burning coolant you'll notice a kind of Orange residue on them. Should stand out if you're going through it that fast.

Also wouldn't hurt to test your coolant for combustibles, and get a compression test.

dagenais
01-22-2013, 08:45 PM
white smoke means you are burning it, crack head or gasket... another test is put your finger in tail pipe you will have liquid coming out taste it if sweet then anti-freeze.

ClintonP929
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
white smoke means you are burning it, crack head or gasket... another test is put your finger in tail pipe you will have liquid coming out taste it if sweet then anti-freeze.

Thanks for replys guys, ill try that later tonight I knew anbtifreeze was sweet but didnt think it would be sweet after going through exhaust :b

ClintonP929
01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Mechanic looked at it. you guys be right :/