tutorials for removing car door? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : tutorials for removing car door?

sabelotodo
12-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi all,

I'm curious to know if there are any videos showing how to remove doors from a Grand Am sedan. I have some rust on three of my four doors as well as some dents and paint scrapes. I would like to swap them out for doors with the body style from the 03-05 Grand Am. (I'm going to be replacing the damaged bumpers with that same style so that everything matches.)

I plan on going to a few different salvage yards. Before I go about doing that, I would like to know how difficult it is to completely remove a door and install a new one. Any helpful pointers are appreciated.

sleepyalero
12-07-2012, 04:59 AM
it should be pretty easy... couple bolts in the door jam and it comes off.

AaronGTR
12-07-2012, 02:51 PM
No videos that I know of. It's not a very common repair, and most people doing it themselves usually know what they are doing already.

It shouldn't be really hard though. You'll probably need a helper to hold it up while you take out the hinge bolts though. There is also some wiring going into the door, so you'll have to take off the interior panel and disconnect some stuff so you can pull the wire harness out after unbolting the door. Things like power mirror, door lock and window switches, speakers, etc.

sabelotodo
12-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Can you guys give me a ballpark figure of what I should expect to pay for doors in good condition?

sleepyalero
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Maybe 60$ at a junkyard...