Tranny help 4t45e got me stumped [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny help 4t45e got me stumped

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 03:06 AM
okay guys so heres the low down...new to the site reason for no pics but any ways i have a 99 GA se2 i think...yeah pretty sure its a 2. 3.4 LA1 competely stock no mods what so ever and if im correct i have the 4t45e? so heres my prob coming home last week and turned of a main road and started up a hill it shifted like it should have on the slown down no jerks nothing at all as soon as i start to accelrate up the hill she runs right through all the gears with a nice thud.( i know this was nothing breaking as its done it before when i first got the car) back when it did it the first time i scanned it and came up p0742 TCC stuck on...ive had solenoid problems before in my focus and what not...so i fig. i would try to change and flushed it with a new filter seeing as how she had 190,000 on it at the time even the filter i took out i could easily blow throught inside looked beautiful for the mileage i honestly expected worse so any way cleared the code filled her up with new fluid and took it for a 60 mile drive straight no stopping light when off no hard shifts or anything...cool ok it was fine for about a month then the motor **** the bed ..CAM split right in two at 1500 rpm idk why dont care was bound to happend with the miles got a newer motor used with 70,00 on it put it in new UIM and LIM Head and valve pan gaskets all others were totally fine motor was taken care of...any ways :attention while it was out i changed the tcc solenoid just for the heck of it...now its doing the samething but now no 3rd or 4th gear just shifts into drive awesome and into second very nicely no slips jerks nothing alll normal and just stays there like a manual kept in second with the clutch out no matter what i do put it in third second whatever it will not budge from second i have SES light codes pulled were p0133 and the good old p0742 again why>>>?????;crap i also have the abs and BRAKE llight on i but i do have trac control this i totally confusing me so far ive cleaned the mas air flow sensor check all harnesses and connections on the out side good ground and all vaccum lines are good just redid all that when i put the motor in Note that i havent even put 4000 on this motor with the trans already actin up Theres all the info help please >>

sleepyalero
12-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Umm tough to say about the tranny, yes you have the 4T45E. If the abs, trac, and service lights are on, you have a bad front hub assembly.

Hopefully someone can be more of a help about the transmission.

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 11:29 AM
ive just replaced the pass. side hub assem. it was bad causing abs and trac off stay on constantly replaced it and back to normal all lights off REM. i still have full control over my traction control it works as it should just the ABS and Brake are on along with the ses i just hope its a pressure switch i really do any good info would be awesome guys this is one of my dream cars would like to get her running like a top for my DD and i got another motor and body i would like to start to build a track car outta just for some fun and show some ricers that a LA1 can put ya in the dirt....nice alero 15k hids? ya got on there ??

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 11:37 AM
sorry just read your mods they looked higher

sleepyalero
12-15-2012, 11:38 AM
ive just replaced the pass. side hub assem. it was bad causing abs and trac off stay on constantly replaced it and back to normal all lights off REM. i still have full control over my traction control it works as it should just the ABS and Brake are on along with the ses i just hope its a pressure switch i really do any good info would be awesome guys this is one of my dream cars would like to get her running like a top for my DD and i got another motor and body i would like to start to build a track car outta just for some fun and show some ricers that a LA1 can put ya in the dirt....nice alero 15k hids? ya got on there ??

I've shown quite a few people that LA1's have some beef. ;)

No, 8000k. And thanks. :) 6 speed 3400 ;)

You should have just read the blue/black lettering below....

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 11:46 AM
AWesome lol so far the only thing i couldnt touch was a stock grand prix gtp i was maybe a 2 feet back from his front bumper lol. that was with the motor that **** the bed with 193.000
i dont know much about the f40 but i bet that swap was fun. i really hope this tranny is not **** i also for got to mention that it will go back to first when i come to a stop like it should then into second again as i take of and just stays there is runs and feels okay as far as shifting goes so i know it cant be a mechanical internal part im about half way of getting the side pan off to do some resitence tests .......wish i had a GA head to help lol

sleepyalero
12-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Well my car used to have the 4t45 but it went out, I have never heard or had the problem you are having.

Where did you get the transmission?

The F40 is from a Pontiac G6

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Thats sweet is it a direct bolt on? you gotta mess with wiring at all ??? 6sp manual or auto? and this is the trans i got the car with all i did was swap in a newer motor. its driving me nuts maybe aaron gtr would have some helpful info..? hoping he will take a peak at this lol any mods on your motor
?

sleepyalero
12-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes bolts right up. Some wiring but not much... More of just the neutral safety switch, re wiring for reverse lights... It's a 6 speed manual transmission. 3.4 aleros/ga's only came factory automatic. (No manual option was offered)

All the mods I have are in my signature.. No internal work.. Yet. But there will be a turbo soon enough.

Aaron might stop in. He usually does.

unchained_01
12-15-2012, 01:51 PM
You had it fushed or just dropped the pan and did a filter change ?

HOYS
12-15-2012, 02:45 PM
The TCC sounds like it is shot.

Either replace the solenoid or get a new trans.

(Replacing the solenoid in the car stinks FYI).

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 02:51 PM
honestly i dont mind doing anykind of work to the GA,s i think GM did a decent job of fitting things into place must i say ive seen alot more crammed FWD's then these cars.....did you not read my first post ive replaced the solenoid. already its not even 5000 miles old ??? im already more then half way to the solenoids with removing the motor...suprisingly it can be done with some ingenuity and carress and i did not flush it corrections just dropped the pan whats the easiest most productive way to flush it? ANd alero thats awesome i would be so curious how it would run lol...probably pulls pretty good and how did fitting the clutch pedal and everything go? thanks for advice guys keep it coming

msmith1956
12-15-2012, 05:43 PM
With 190k on the tranny, I wouldn't recommend flushing it. I would just change the filter, and refill and add a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix to it.

AaronGTR
12-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Since you already changed the solenoid but you are still getting that code, the problem is probably somewhere else in that circuit. It could be a bad TCC release switch, also called the TFP (trans fluid pressure) manual valve position switch. This switch sends a signal to the PCM telling it that the torque convertor is released.

If the TCC regulator valve solenoid is working, but the switch isn't, the PCM will think the TCC is still locked. Remove the switch and inspect for a damaged or leaking seal, sediment or debris in the switch, damaged switch contacts, or stuck switch contacts. Replace if you find any of these. The problem could also be in the wiring harness, but since it's a high mileage trans and the fluid and solenoid have been changed, it's more likely some junk may have got knocked loose and stuck in the switch.

sleepyalero
12-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Speak of the devil ... ;) ^

sixripper69
12-15-2012, 10:19 PM
i know right ^^^ lol i was leaning towards the pressure switch ive checked my harness and all relays and wires all are good just pulled out the motor lift so ill have the side pan off tom and start some resitence testing and cleaning...AaronGTR thanks for your in put i really agree with what your saying. i may just replace the presssure control switch just for the hell of it would that explain not having 3 or 4th??? sleepyalero im really lookin into this swap :)

sleepyalero
12-16-2012, 12:29 AM
What are you swapping?

kzulfic
12-16-2012, 12:46 AM
From the previous posts, and high interest in you car, i would assume the F40.

sleepyalero
12-16-2012, 03:38 AM
If that's the case. I wish you luck!

sleepyalero
12-16-2012, 03:41 AM
honestly i dont mind doing anykind of work to the GA,s i think GM did a decent job of fitting things into place must i say ive seen alot more crammed FWD's then these cars.....did you not read my first post ive replaced the solenoid. already its not even 5000 miles old ??? im already more then half way to the solenoids with removing the motor...suprisingly it can be done with some ingenuity and carress and i did not flush it corrections just dropped the pan whats the easiest most productive way to flush it? ANd alero thats awesome i would be so curious how it would run lol...probably pulls pretty good and how did fitting the clutch pedal and everything go? thanks for advice guys keep it coming

Sorry I missed this. Here's a better insight for you, and even better because you have a grand am.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73212&highlight=F40

sixripper69
12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Yess the F40!!!! how does your ride run with the 3.4 mated to it >>>? and it wont be a swap basically a install on my track car, i will have the side pan off today and post some pics of the internals and do some testing...

sixripper69
12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
pretty useful thanks for the link ....side pan is almost off and going to inspect the **** outta it so ill keep you guys posted thanks for all the advice and support already its helps out alot... and i will be doing a f40 but not a swap i have a 99 ga gt rolling chassis i just picked up for my track car project....so it will just be a install not really a swap but thats prob around next year sometime

sleepyalero
12-16-2012, 03:31 PM
It's nice. It's notchy and chattery, but does the job with no problems, also a lot more vibration in the car. (Because stiff trans mounts) aside from that its quite awesome.

AaronGTR
12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
i know right ^^^ lol i was leaning towards the pressure switch ive checked my harness and all relays and wires all are good just pulled out the motor lift so ill have the side pan off tom and start some resitence testing and cleaning...AaronGTR thanks for your in put i really agree with what your saying. i may just replace the presssure control switch just for the hell of it would that explain not having 3 or 4th??? sleepyalero im really lookin into this swap :)

Not sure if that would cause it not going into 3rd and 4th or not. It's possible... if the TCC needs to be unlocked to upshift to those gears and the PCM thinks it isn't. It could also be something else though, like a bad shift solenoid on those gears, or a cracked accumulator piston or something. They are plastic and can get brittle with heat and age and one good high pressure shift at WOT can crack one if it's old enough. You'd have to inspect them to tell of course. Superior Transmission parts used to make an aluminum replacement for those. Not sure if they are still available or not.

sixripper69
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
i would think its electrical aaron ....since ive had this prob before also i never horse on my car only every now and then i honeslty dont think ive ever had it shift at WOT not that it wasnt doing it i just let off around 4 and half.... i have just got the motor out minutes ago i pulled both 1 &2 and 2&3 solenoids there was two of them i also pulled the new tcc and the pressure control switch that would be the big black fat one right? i wanted to check all for resistence instead of spending money for no reason. i did get a bottle of lucas to put in when i get her back together all electrical plugs and connections are okay so im guessing it a solenioid on the same circuit im guessing i guess we will seee more input is awesome anything i could do to help my trans or motor any CHEAP or Free mods i could do while shes out....

sleepyalero
12-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Intake, plugs wires, ignition, exhaust. Etc

sixripper69
12-17-2012, 03:00 PM
all solenoids checked out okay....im am stumped to hell and back ive just read something that if your TPs is going bad that your vehicle wont shift out of second gear this was especially for the grand am...i have another tps im going to put her in tonight and bolt everything up and see what happens wish me lucks any other ideas ANYONE...how much did your swap run you sleepy alero ...??/