only 1st and 2nd gear no SES light at all. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : only 1st and 2nd gear no SES light at all.

sixripper69
12-19-2012, 09:35 PM
so i got the solenoid figured out as in my earliers post (4T45E got me stumped) so the solenoids arent stuck at all all were checked and test okay after putting everything back in i threw a bottle of lucas in it as you guys suggested and nothing still only first and second...it went to torque lock one time and totally skipped third. SES illuminted right after that while driving i scanned it Current fault code was P0742 as before TCC stuck on (i use Torque). right after i unplugged the obd2 plug (still driving ) the light went away and back to only first and second gear again. i can take to 60 in second and it wont shift not even try...Now if it hit torque lock once wouldnt that mean my toque converter is good on all levels in that mode and out of it? My car runs good when it only had first and second doesnt slip ever solid feeling reason why i think its not that But im open to suggestions, Also why is it throwing a code when it malfuntions in to Torque lock then when not shifting out of second it does not throw a code i never cleared my codes ever that was the only one stored i let it go just to see what would happen...ANY help Please......its my dd:horse: THis is the third time im pulling the trans and motor .... in less then a month ... pretty sure i could set a record but its not something im proud about in any way

sleepyalero
12-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Go buy a new transmission, that's what I would do.

bricooper78
12-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Just to do it, google transmission shops around you, call all of them, explain what you're getting, and see what they say.
Take notes.. Around here, several of them will tell you what they think it could be, based on info, along with the old "but without looking at it, I can't be sure on that"

If 3 or 4 places tell you the same thing, I'd buy their story. And, if it's something major, whoever gives you the best deal, or was the best to you over the phone (mechanics aren't necessarily "people persons" so don't be put off by short answers) ... give them some cash, and save your frustrations.
grey hairs don't look good on you youngins lol

sixripper69
12-21-2012, 12:41 AM
thanks for the input i got my buddys snap on scanner that will interface with the BCM and got the code p0730 incorrect gear ratio..so im not sure where to start now i read the tsb for the code and says to replace direct clutch pistion assembly along with checking a few other things kinda makes me worried about my pcm...and no offense but i never call a shop ever....i have no desire to all of them around her are a bunch a crack ups...dont know a lug from a spark plug imo...im one of those people who only pull up to a shop for mount and balance alingment etc...noone else touches under my hood but me lol :) just gonna order a rebuild kit and go from there...

sixripper69
12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
took your advice sleepy alero...and went and got a used trans outta a 99 alero lol ;)

sleepyalero
12-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Good to hear, although then03+ trans would have been a better option. (Should have told you) they are built better apparently. But you should do fine.,

How many miles on this trans?

sixripper69
12-27-2012, 02:23 PM
the yard was unsure of the mileage kinda bummed on it but she looks well taken care of and i didnt know about the 03+ being better did they not change the gear ratio for the 2000 and up trannys??

sleepyalero
12-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I forget all the info about the 03+ see if you can search around for the info on why its better, I've just seen people talk about how it is, but been awhile so I don't remember how it's "better"

AaronGTR
12-28-2012, 08:39 AM
the yard was unsure of the mileage kinda bummed on it but she looks well taken care of and i didnt know about the 03+ being better did they not change the gear ratio for the 2000 and up trannys??

No change for the gear ratios from '99 all the way through '05. They just have a different final drive ratio for SE (3.05:1) and GT (3.29:1).

An '03+ trans would probably have less mileage on it of course. They did make minor upgrades to some bearings and such over the years for longer life and durability, with the last significant changes in '03. Nothing major though. There was a small change to the valve body too in '01 I think. Something about a cross drilled shaft of some kind on the 1/2 shift actuator for fluid pressure relief that they eliminated and made solid.

Basically the newer trans might work a little better or last a little longer, but if you increase the power they all have weak clutches and still need upgrades. They should all work the same in your car, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

sixripper69
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
why was the 4t45e made so weak......i dont understand...especially for what they named the car GRAND (for grandprix luxury) and AM (for trans am performance) coulda bolted a better drivetrain to it....its usually the other way around lol motors go before trans does. just my 2 cents...i have a extra motor laying around for a build...just need some ideas on what way to go would like to make a low boost track car...any ideas inputs Pistons, valves and valve springs, Cam, ? Fuel upgrades...? anyways. trans is going in tonight. will let you guys know how it performs only paid 265 for plus my old one...:( i really wanted to keep my old one though....for a 4t45e build oh welll i ll keep you guys posted thanks for all the advice and info...so happy to be a part of this forum

sixripper69
01-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Go buy a new transmission, that's what I would do.

done did that was fully installed and test drove late last night...it runs Awesome...i never realized how great lower mileage trans feels in a GA now i know and i love it Seems as if everything is running awesome no DTC's or SES light....still have the ABS and BRAKE on constantly ...WHY?

got a lil alero in me now sleepyalero... even thought is the same trans lol