This car cannot be fixed... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : This car cannot be fixed...

99GrandAmJB
12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
I have replaced the entire cooling system three times. New water pump, thermostat, radiator, and hoses. Finally got the cooling system under control yesterday after replacing the thermostat again, and it ran fine. Wake up this morning and start the car, it idled fine but the SES light came on. Then I drive it for maybe 3 miles and the temperature shot to above 260. I pulled over and as I'm slowing down I lose all control of the car. The engine shut off, but I still had power. After letting it cool down for a few minutes I started it again and the engine was skipping like crazy. Drove another 2 miles to a gas station, went inside, came out and it wouldn't start. I had to jump the battery even though there were no signs leading up to the battery dying. Drove it home after that, temp shot up to 260 again and as I pull in the driveway, the radiator blows. What could possibly cause all of these issues?

Fireball
12-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Is it possible that the head gasket is bad and pressurizing the cooling system?
Are you losing coolant at all? How does the oil look?

KillNThrill24
12-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Yupp had the SAME **** happen with my GA. I ended up doing head gaskets and up. Including LIM gaskets which are also prone to going out on these cars. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. Got mine all back together and used green prestone in it and haven't had a cooling issue since

Nick-G
12-23-2012, 12:46 PM
I have replaced the entire cooling system three times.

This right here tells me that you should have brought the car to someone who knows what they are doing a long time ago.

Got mine all back together and used green prestone in it and haven't had a cooling issue since

Switching from dexcool is not recommended.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Bad headgaskets will wreak havoc on the coolant system's pressure.

Agreed, switching out the DexCool is a stupid idea.

sleepyalero
12-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah. Even though I've heard bad things about dexcool... But i will never change it for something else because its recommended for these car.

2000 GT Coupe
12-23-2012, 02:17 PM
To switch from dexcool all you have to do is make sure the entire system is cleared of all dexcool.

mixing them is a very bad idea but switching is not the problem.
the green has worked very well for decades you will obviously want to flush and replace more often.
However dexcool in these cars seems to need replacing at shorter intervals then recommended any way.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Yeah. Even though I've heard bad things about dexcool... But i will never change it for something else because its recommended for these car.

>horror stories

Always take note that the sludge stories all come from 2005 and prior. Anybody trying to say DexCool going bad now is covering their ass for neglect. DexCool has intervals just like normal coolant. Flush it every 45,000-50,000 miles and you shouldn't have an issue.

sleepyalero
12-23-2012, 02:58 PM
;1197639']>horror stories

Always take note that the sludge stories all come from 2005 and prior. Anybody trying to say DexCool going bad now is covering their ass for neglect. DexCool has intervals just like normal coolant. Flush it every 45,000-50,000 miles and you shouldn't have an issue.

It's good up to 100,000?

Either way I change mine once a year.. So about every 10k miles lol.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-23-2012, 03:21 PM
It's good up to 100,000?

Either way I change mine once a year.. So about every 10k miles lol.

I don't trust that. I've had zero issues for 82,000 miles since I changed the LIM gaskets (with revised ones) and flushed out the coolant a year ago.

Fireball
12-23-2012, 03:22 PM
My brother hasn't changed his coolant on his ecotec in 250,000 km..

bricooper78
12-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I did mine at 99K, had the car for 20K before that, dunno what has been done up til that point, but mine was crystal clear, I drained from the plug at the radiator, and refilled, no problems, and I didn't even do it right! (I was in a hurry to get a hood, shut up, like you've never skimped? lol )

[ChaosweaveR]
12-23-2012, 03:33 PM
My brother hasn't changed his coolant on his ecotec in 250,000 km..

>implying that not changing the coolant means it's a good idea

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/Xaus59/random/3114809F-EAEC-49D9-9B05-DB95E9B9E370-33554-00001B3EF107D16F.jpg

emncfi
12-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Yupp had the SAME **** happen with my GA. I ended up doing head gaskets and up. Including LIM gaskets which are also prone to going out on these cars. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. Got mine all back together and used green prestone in it and haven't had a cooling issue since

Ditto here, same issues a year ago, totally agree, its not hard to do, just takes time, and a few beers.

sleepyalero
12-23-2012, 03:51 PM
;1197641']I don't trust that. I've had zero issues for 82,000 miles since I changed the LIM gaskets (with revised ones) and flushed out the coolant a year ago.

Yeah, I keep to up to date on my car, but its not hurting it.

klokworx
12-24-2012, 12:06 AM
I have replaced the entire cooling system three times. New water pump, thermostat, radiator, and hoses. Finally got the cooling system under control yesterday after replacing the thermostat again, and it ran fine. Wake up this morning and start the car, it idled fine but the SES light came on. Then I drive it for maybe 3 miles and the temperature shot to above 260. I pulled over and as I'm slowing down I lose all control of the car. The engine shut off, but I still had power. After letting it cool down for a few minutes I started it again and the engine was skipping like crazy. Drove another 2 miles to a gas station, went inside, came out and it wouldn't start. I had to jump the battery even though there were no signs leading up to the battery dying. Drove it home after that, temp shot up to 260 again and as I pull in the driveway, the radiator blows. What could possibly cause all of these issues?

same thing i got going on here right now. got a misfire code, thought it was the coil pack because of the rotten egg smell... switched the 1/4 with the 3/6 coil packs. same **** happened, coolant pissed out the overflow, my temp gauge redlined, trac off light came on, but i didnt get a code

the worst of my situation is i just spent $952 on an intake gasket change.

Fireball
12-24-2012, 09:54 AM
;1197644']>implying that not changing the coolant means it's a good idea

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/Xaus59/random/3114809F-EAEC-49D9-9B05-DB95E9B9E370-33554-00001B3EF107D16F.jpg

It's not... I've ripped him a new one over it multiple times... when everything corrodes I'll be there doing the slow clap.

I think it's too late to even change it. There's probably all sorts of clumps in the system.

[ChaosweaveR]
12-24-2012, 10:18 AM
It's not... I've ripped him a new one over it multiple times... when everything corrodes I'll be there doing the slow clap.

I think it's too late to even change it. There's probably all sorts of clumps in the system.

I'm surprised he hasn't lost heat or something clogged. The radiator may be a lost cause.

Fireball
12-24-2012, 07:37 PM
;1197696']I'm surprised he hasn't lost heat or something clogged. The radiator may be a lost cause.

I'm in agreement...

AaronGTR
12-25-2012, 04:37 PM
This right here tells me that you should have brought the car to someone who knows what they are doing a long time ago.

Switching from dexcool is not recommended.

;1197632']Bad headgaskets will wreak havoc on the coolant system's pressure.

Agreed, switching out the DexCool is a stupid idea.

Yeah... what these ^ two guys said.

If you replaced everything once and were still having overheating problems, that should be a sign right there something else was wrong. There might not have ever been anything wrong with those other parts. You might have replaced them all for nothing. You might just have a bad head gasket. Next time, if you don't know how to properly diagnose an engine problem, rather than throwing money at it, try asking some questions first and/or take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

AaronGTR
12-25-2012, 04:55 PM
To switch from dexcool all you have to do is make sure the entire system is cleared of all dexcool.

mixing them is a very bad idea but switching is not the problem.
the green has worked very well for decades you will obviously want to flush and replace more often.
However dexcool in these cars seems to need replacing at shorter intervals then recommended any way.

This is not true. I don't even know how many times I've corrected people about this on this forum.

take note people: the color means NOTHING. It doesn't matter if it's green. There is long life coolant you can buy in the store these days that is also green... and red, yellow, and orange as well. None of them are really dexcool either. They don't sell dexcool at the auto parts store. They sell long life coolants that are "dexcool approved". They don't normally sell the old style coolant anymore though, since most new cars call for the new style coolant and they don't want people to accidentally mix them.

And yes, you can actually mix them and it will NOT cause the system to get full of sludge. The difference is, if you use the old fashioned coolant, it's simply not long life any more. They both use water and ethylene glycol as an anti-freeze. The difference is in the lubricant and corrosion inhibitors. The old stuff used silicone based additives, which stick to the inside of the cooling system and can not be easily flushed out, which is why if you put the old style coolant in you car, it can no longer have the long service interval, even if you switch back to the new style coolant.

The new coolant uses organic acid based additives, which were found to be more effective and help the parts of the cooling system last longer if the coolant is changed at the recommended interval. It was designed to make the car parts last longer and make maintenance cheaper. They might have used the old stuff for decades, but competition in the auto market is fierce and the manufacturers look for every edge they can to increase reliability. They sink millions of dollars into research and testing. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

;1197639']>horror stories

The old formula of dexcool would develop sludge in the system in places where there was air in the system when it got hot, so it would get especially bad if you worked on the system and didn't bleed it properly. The new formula will do that too, but not as much. And it's supposed to last 5 years or 60k miles.