00GAGT Warm Fast idle...where to start? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00GAGT Warm Fast idle...where to start?

AuroraGuy
01-05-2013, 06:24 PM
My 00 GAGT has developed a new and fun problem over the last few weeks.
I have 110,000 miles on it.

Cold starts are never an issue.
Recently it seems to get fussy about starting when its already warm.
For example, I am driving for some time...engine is 190F..I go into the store, come out and go to start it..it starts and then dies. Crank and crank and crank and it starts, stumbles and then evens out.

I didnt think too much of that until THIS week when all of a sudden, my idle has gone to 1200-1500 when fully warm...however, this is random. Sometimes it will do this and sometimes it wont.

I am wondering if the warm start issue and fast warm idle are related and where to start checking? - There are NO CODES.

I see some guys have had this with bad IAC or TPS but I dont want to just start throwing parts at it for no good reason...

;crap

bricooper78
01-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Ever changed the fuel pressure regulator? they're only 50K mile part iirc, and they can cause that, mine had an issue similar to that caused by the fpr

AuroraGuy
01-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Ever changed the fuel pressure regulator? they're only 50K mile part iirc, and they can cause that, mine had an issue similar to that caused by the fpr

Well thats interesting. No I have never changed it.
Come to think of it, I have been doing something so long it has become
second nature:

I know in the COLD AM, if I try and hop in and crank it ASAP, it will crank and crank and then fire.

If I turn the ignition ON (only) then hear the fuel pump spin..put my seat belt on
and then turn it to START, it always fires up ASAP.

So again, I dont know if any of these issues are related.
Looks like one of the easiest things I can do is take out the IAC and either clean it or replace it.

Whats involved in the FPR replacement? Where is it?

bricooper78
01-05-2013, 06:40 PM
*just while you're at it, new fuel filter would be a good idea*

the fpr is on the drivers side of the motor, up front, underneath the cabling that runs in to control the throttlebody, its that little can looking thing. i'll dig ya up a pic

http://www.greatautohelp.com/sitebuilder/images/PICT04242-470x264.jpg

That would be the thing he's taking off with that ratchet lol

AuroraGuy
01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
*just while you're at it, new fuel filter would be a good idea*

the fpr is on the drivers side of the motor, up front, underneath the cabling that runs in to control the throttlebody, its that little can looking thing. i'll dig ya up a pic

Thanks...cool.

Ok..so where is the fuel filter on this car?
Is it conveniently located in the fuel tank?

My 91 toyota was impossible to change w/o using an impact..you had to HIT it quick and fast to break the bolts loose..

After reading up on what the FPR does, it makes sense that this could be bleeding down my fuel PSI and causing the need to run the fuel pump prior to trying to start.

;crap

[ChaosweaveR]
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
The fuel filter is located next to the fuel tank, tucked next to the front of the rear suspension. There might be a charcoal box in the way, I know mine has one.

sleepyalero
01-05-2013, 07:31 PM
ive got 180k miles and stock fpr lol

bricooper78
01-05-2013, 07:46 PM
^ well he sucks, so don't listen to him lol

but I would also get mass air flow cleaner, it's the sensor just before the intake on the driver's side, between the motor and the air filter box. 7 bucks, take it out, douche it out real good, if there is any little carbon rocks, you can take toothpick or something small and pop them out, just be careful with the wires that are in there behind the screen, if you break them you are in trouble... so be careful, i just spray the crap out of the wire, and poke at the screen when i do mine. little cleanup, and you should be good as new

AuroraGuy
01-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Ok..took out the MAF sensor...it wasnt bad actually...I could see all 3 white little marshmallows (so to say).
But I cleaned it...

I took out the IAC valve - was black and crappy then I took out and replaced the TPS.

The OEM TPS did not have any spring-e-ness to it like the new one does.
Not sure if they are supposed to or not???

The new one definitely has a spring in it when you put it on the shaft and rotate it slightly to align it to the screws.

[ChaosweaveR]
01-06-2013, 09:50 AM
They're supposed to feel somewhat "springy", that's normal.

AuroraGuy
01-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Well the OEM one had NO spring. Zip.
So I took It apart but there didnt appear anything broken inside and I didnt see a spring.

Well, after doing all of this - the car runs like new and SO FAR, no fast-idle once warm.
I hope swapping out the FPR will solve my warm start (stumble/stall) issues.