AC Compressor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : AC Compressor

xalteph
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
How do you vacuum out the air to recharge the AC system with freon? Do you have to vacuum the air out?

rocketfast123
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
Is your system completely empty? Or has some gas in it?

AaronGTR
01-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Shops use a special machine to apply vacuum to the system. You can't typically do this at home. You need special equipment/fittings etc to get all the air out and refill the system without letting air back in. They usually apply a deep vacuum then fill with a premixed charge of refrigerant, lubricant, and dye.

This serves two purposes. The vacuum level helps check the seals on the system for leaks, and removing the air and moisture from the system before filling makes the system run more efficiently and last longer by limiting corrosion and wear.

When I had to replace my A/C system I just installed the components myself and took it to a shop for filling. Still blows ice cold.

rocketfast123
01-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Shops use a special machine to apply vacuum to the system. You can't typically do this at home. You need special equipment/fittings etc to get all the air out and refill the system without letting air back in. They usually apply a deep vacuum then fill with a premixed charge of refrigerant, lubricant, and dye.

This serves two purposes. The vacuum level helps check the seals on the system for leaks, and removing the air and moisture from the system before filling makes the system run more efficiently and last longer by limiting corrosion and wear.

When I had to replace my A/C system I just installed the components myself and took it to a shop for filling. Still blows ice cold.

1. Yes, but and I moonlight as a hvac tech. You can rent a vacuum pump at autozone. Linesets are pretty cheap, fittings can be found on amazon.
As for a premix? refrigerant, stay away from the all in one stuff. The stuff at the dollar store is working fine in my car.

2.True

3. But it's very easy to do once you understand it.