Interior lights stuck on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights stuck on

99GT
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi, I have an 04 gt. I was driving last night and all of the sudden all of my courtesy lights turned on and refuse to turn off. I pulled the fuse after unplugging the battery and leaving it overnight to reset. Can anyone help me please? I added floor courtesy lights a month ago by splicing into the wires in the bcm. Don't know if I overloaded something, or if a sensor on a door handle may be the culprit.

TruGreenGAGT
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
is the dimmer wheel clicked all the way to the right?

99GT
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Negative. That was my first thought

TruGreenGAGT
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
then two things.
dimmer switch went bad. happen to have a spare you can swap in?
or door switch went bad, making the car think the door is open and to turn the lights on. although they should turn off after 10 mins as a battery save function.
try turning the car on with the doors shut and wait around 15mins, if they dont shut off I'd assume that the door switches are good. and its something else.

also pretty sure if you overloaded or had a short the lights would not turn on at all.

99GT
01-13-2013, 07:32 PM
then two things.
dimmer switch went bad. happen to have a spare you can swap in?
or door switch went bad, making the car think the door is open and to turn the lights on. although they should turn off after 10 mins as a battery save function.
try turning the car on with the doors shut and wait around 15mins, if they dont shut off I'd assume that the door switches are good. and its something else.

also pretty sure if you overloaded or had a short the lights would not turn on at all.

I'll try turning it on and waiting. Don't know of this matters but I unplugged the dimmer switch and they stayed on. I'll grab one from the junk yard tomorrow, but where is the door switch? I've never seen a car without the plunger.

TruGreenGAGT
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
its built into the door latch, would need to remove the inner door panel to gain access and maybe its just a loose wire. assuming the driver door be the bad one as it sees more use.

99GT
01-14-2013, 02:10 AM
So is there like a sensor that clips onto the latch to tell it when it's open? Like could I just twist it out and put another in?

TruGreenGAGT
01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
no idea i just know its part of the latch....mines never had a problem so i never looked