Fuel Pressure Regulator [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator

Kyle
01-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Can anyone give me instructions on how to change a one on a 2000 grand am? mine is leaking gas. Thanks

klokworx
01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
1. Take off the line on top of regulator and put it to the side.

2. Get yourself the right size cresent wrench to take off the fuel line nut. (I do not know the size since I used an adjustible wrench which was a pain) Leave the fuel line attached for now.

3. Get a T-30 star socket to remove the screw that holds the regulator to the fuel rail.

4. Gently wiggle the regulator out of the fuel rail.

5. Now get a pair of needle nose pliers to hold on to the fuel line and grasp the regulator and wiggle it up slowly to remove it from the fuel line.

Now to put the new regulator on:

1. Slide the regulator onto the fuel line(do not tighten yet).

2. Slide the Regulator into the fuel rail.

3. Insert and tighten the bolt that holds the regulator to the fuel rail. (this will give you the support you need to tighten the fuel line nut)

4. Tighten the nut that holds the fuel line to the regulator.

5. Connect the line back to the top of the new regulator.

MilzyZ34
01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
1. Take off the line on top of regulator and put it to the side.

2. Get yourself the right size cresent wrench to take off the fuel line nut. (I do not know the size since I used an adjustible wrench which was a pain) Leave the fuel line attached for now.

3. Get a T-30 star socket to remove the screw that holds the regulator to the fuel rail.

4. Gently wiggle the regulator out of the fuel rail.

5. Now get a pair of needle nose pliers to hold on to the fuel line and grasp the regulator and wiggle it up slowly to remove it from the fuel line.

Now to put the new regulator on:

1. Slide the regulator onto the fuel line(do not tighten yet).

2. Slide the Regulator into the fuel rail.

3. Insert and tighten the bolt that holds the regulator to the fuel rail. (this will give you the support you need to tighten the fuel line nut)

4. Tighten the nut that holds the fuel line to the regulator.

5. Connect the line back to the top of the new regulator.

also lube the o-ring on the new regulator, Silglyde works best, but a little oil works.

Kyle
01-15-2013, 02:10 PM
It hought you have to releave the fuel presssure?

kzulfic
01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
No, you do if you change your fuel pump. If you're concerned about it, just pull the fuel pump relay/fuse start the car, and let it die. Then you'll be fine to start working. It is not necessary though.

AaronGTR
01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
No, you do if you change your fuel pump. If you're concerned about it, just pull the fuel pump relay/fuse start the car, and let it die. Then you'll be fine to start working. It is not necessary though.

That is not necessarily true.

It depends on how recently you ran the engine. There is a check valve behind the pump that stops fuel from flowing back to the tank and keeps pressure in the line after you turn the car on. It can take several hours for that pressure to drop.

In other words, if the car has been sitting and you start working on it, there shouldn't be any pressure. If you run the engine at all first, you better take the cap off the pressure test port on the fuel rail first, put a rag around it, and press in on the schrader valve to relieve the pressure first. :thumbs:

MilzyZ34
01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
not a bad idea to purge the pressure either way because a shower of fuel everywhere is kind of a fire hazard if it hits the alternator stud or battery post. may not be a bad idea to disconnect battery if you're worried about it.

kzulfic
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Good point, but I thought with nothing coming from the fuel pump it would use all that is left in the lines to run it. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

kzulfic
01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
not a bad idea to purge the pressure either way because a shower of fuel everywhere is kind of a fire hazard if it hits the alternator stud or battery post. may not be a bad idea to disconnect battery if you're worried about it.

Another good point!

OP, read all of the above, and you will have no problems.

MilzyZ34
01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
there's always multiple ways to solve a problem. you can remove the fuel pump relay and let it stall, or you can just spend a few seconds to drain the schraeder and disconnect the battery. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. either way not a bad idea to disconnect the battery in case you spill fuel on anything (like if it drips on starter post when you remove the regulator or something. When you pull the fuel pump relay and let it stall, it doesn't use ALL the fuel in the lines, it just uses the fuel until the pressure in the line is too low to run. There still is some fuel though, and it can still drip on stuff. I'm not saying you have to disconnetc the battery, you could just be careful, but if you want to make it completely safe, not a bad idea. I heard of a guy at another shop around here who burnt a 300ZX to the ground because they forgot to purge the fuel and it arc'd on the battery, so just trying to prevent things like that from happening.

kzulfic
01-15-2013, 05:31 PM
I heard of a guy at another shop around here who burnt a 300ZX to the ground because they forgot to purge the fuel and it arc'd on the battery, so just trying to prevent things like that from happening.

I would hate for that to happen. Shops are always in such a rush to get one car out, and another in. Bet he won't skip those few steps next time.

Kyle
01-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Ok got it done. Thanks everyone, anouther thing is you do have to remove that black bracket that holds the two throtle cables in place for clearence.