driver door and fender hitting each other [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : driver door and fender hitting each other

greygoose08
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
dont know what is going on with this now here all of a sudden. i hit a raccoon this summer and thats been the only damage, and it was only the bumper cover. replaced it. now a couple months later the door and fender hit a very little bit. now all of a sudden i cant even open it halfway and it is hitting terribly bad. to the point it almost wont open any further. anyone have any ideas here. everything looks lined up in body lines and gaps like it should. should i replace the fender? maybe theres a bent bracket on the fender or something? im clueless bout it how it all of a sudden just wont open

unchained_01
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
All depends where it's hitting your "a"pillar could be rusted out on the bottom. Check there and see

kzulfic
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
You door molding, or the part of your rocker may be a little loose. Have you determined exactly what's making contact?

greygoose08
01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
no not yet, im giong to rip it apart this weekend to see whats going on.

greygoose08
01-21-2013, 04:12 PM
yup, bottom of fender rusted out. go figure. new ones on way!

kzulfic
01-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Glad you figured it out, but check your rocker panel while you're down there. If the fender rusted more than likely something else did too.

spartan0199
01-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Funny my car started doing the exact same thing yesterday morning when the temp dropped to 0 degrees. Driver door is catching hard. Too cold to look at it and the car is too old to be overly concerned.

pauljs75
01-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Likely the majority of cars with this problem are from places that have freezing weather.

One of the few flaws on these cars is that the front doors have a serious issue with icing in the winter time. DO NOT PRY THEM! If they happen to ice up.

On last gen Grand Ams, heavy snow melt or freezing rain has this habit of running down the A-pillar and forming a clod of ice right where forcing the door open will break or bend part of the car door or quarterpanel and not the ice.

Just something to be aware of. If you get iced out of the car, just take time pouring warm water down the door seams until it can be opened without forcing it.

I know better, but my dad did quite an expensive number on my car because of his stupid impatience. It pissed me off, and I had to go for a year with a door that sticked and popped until I could save up enough to fix it.