EGR Smoke [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : EGR Smoke

ALindquist
01-19-2013, 02:14 AM
So my car started smoking randomly today. White smelly smoke. Pulled over, popped the hood. looked like the hose coming off the back of the EGR valve was smoking. I looked around for a leak but there wasn't anything real obvious. turned it on again, waited 5 minutes and nothing happened. Pulled in at home for the night and I poked my nose over to the edge of the hood and I smelled it again, so obviously somethings happening. Should I be replacing a hose? Or the EGR itself? Thanks.

AaronGTR
01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Hard to say. There is a heat insulating sleeve around the EGR tube. If that got wet or simply absorbed some moisture from the air, it could have just been water vapor coming off it. I had this happen to me with the header wrap I used on my headers, which I've since taken off. It would make smoke come from under my hood every time I started the car.

It could also be a leak from somewhere though. Impossible to say without taking some things off to investigate for signs of leaks (such as carbon streaking from an exhaust leak).

MAC the KNIFE
01-19-2013, 07:40 AM
you said it smells. moisture or steam shouldn't have too much smell to it. but if you've got a little oil on something, and most things under the hood are a bit greasy/oily, then you might be smelling that.

try parking over a big piece of cardboard after you drive the car. check the next morning to see if you've got an oil or coolant leak.

the gasket for my rear rocker cover blew out after an engine back fire once. it kept dripping just a little bit of oil onto the block, just enough to see white smoke come up when it was parked with the hood up. at first, i thought it was the egr!

let us know how it turns out.

ALindquist
01-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately it keeps snowing here, so I don't think I could park over cardboard without it getting soaked. When I was looking at that sleeve on the tube off the back of the EGR I thought I could see what looked to be a melted spot. Which could explain the bad smell, and the smoke. I'm just not really sure how that could have melted. Aren't heat shields not supposed to do that. I'll have to look at it again to make sure.

AaronGTR
01-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately it keeps snowing here, so I don't think I could park over cardboard without it getting soaked. When I was looking at that sleeve on the tube off the back of the EGR I thought I could see what looked to be a melted spot. Which could explain the bad smell, and the smoke. I'm just not really sure how that could have melted. Aren't heat shields not supposed to do that. I'll have to look at it again to make sure.

The heat sleeve over the EGR tube is supposed to hold heat in, and yes it isn't supposed to melt. But that doesn't mean it won't get burned if it's exposed to more heat than it's limit. It's only made of fiberglass and nomex, and it's designed to take the heat from the metal. If you have an exhaust leak blowing hot gas on it, that's a lot hotter than just the tube. ;)

ALindquist
01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
The heat sleeve over the EGR tube is supposed to hold heat in, and yes it isn't supposed to melt. But that doesn't mean it won't get burned if it's exposed to more heat than it's limit. It's only made of fiberglass and nomex, and it's designed to take the heat from the metal. If you have an exhaust leak blowing hot gas on it, that's a lot hotter than just the tube. ;)

Is there a way for me to remove that sleeve to inspect the tube without cutting it off?

MAC the KNIFE
01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
flashlight and inspection mirror?

AaronGTR
01-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Is there a way for me to remove that sleeve to inspect the tube without cutting it off?

Probably not. They put the sleeve on when they assemble it before they put the ends on, and I don't think it will fit over the ends. If you suspect it has rusted out and got a hole in it or something, you might as well just replace it. It's not expensive. It can be a bit of a pain to get out is all, depending on how rusted it is. Spray some penetrating oil on the nut in the exhaust manifold and let it sit for a while before trying to remove it.

ALindquist
01-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Well I haven't had any more issues with it since that first incident the other day; which I find a little strange. I can still smell it under my hood, but no smoke. I've got a GM salvage yard 15 minutes away, maybe I'll call them find out if they have one of these tubes, just in case this happens again. I really try to do everything I can to avoid going to mechanics, but this sounds like it could be a real pain to replace.

AaronGTR
01-20-2013, 08:41 PM
No, it's not really that hard.

ALindquist
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
So I keep smelling it when my cars not moving so i had a look under the hood again today. I watched this smoke coming off the heat shield right where it bends back towards the engine. I also noticed a small ring of liquid on the tube directly above it, right where it clamps. So I'm thinking, new hose clamp maybe? It's -12 with the wind outside right now so I can't do a whole lot of investigating unfortunately. I do have a picture of it, perhaps you can confirm my suspicions.

http://i.imgur.com/t3YKDNL.jpg

unchained_01
01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Looks like hose above the egr tube may be leaking and dripping on the EGR tube check the hose for cracks You can probably just cut the cracked/hard section off and reattach

ALindquist
01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Do you know whats running through that hose? I have literally zero knowledge regarding replacing these hoses. I won't have a chance to look at it again until tomorrow.

BrittsBen
01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Not to patronize you but could you possibly take a picture for us?

Without a good description it would be hard to say what may be leaking. Sometimes a little bit of flexible hose from an auto store can be jerry rigged to fix broken tubes (depending on where the break is). If you look the the back left side of your engine bay there should be a small diagram showing you what goes where. If you can make it to an auto store a knowledgeable staff member may be able to do it for you.

ALindquist
01-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Not to patronize you but could you possibly take a picture for us?

Without a good description it would be hard to say what may be leaking. Sometimes a little bit of flexible hose from an auto store can be jerry rigged to fix broken tubes (depending on where the break is). If you look the the back left side of your engine bay there should be a small diagram showing you what goes where. If you can make it to an auto store a knowledgeable staff member may be able to do it for you.

Not to patronize you ;) but there's one two posts above. It runs into the engine right above the EGR line. I think its coolant but I wasn't sure. It's too damn cold for me to do any actual work on it right now, so I'm asking all my questions on here instead. I'll probably have to clear my garage out.

AaronGTR
01-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Both those hoses are coolant hoses. They attach to the heater core back at the firewall. They are rubber hoses with a plastic quick connect fitting clamped into the end of them. Looks like one of them is probably dripping on the exhaust.

ALindquist
01-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Alright, thanks for all the help. Sorry about my endless questions. I'll work on figuring out how to replace that this weekend.