2000 2dr Gt head light issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 2dr Gt head light issue

chi_town
01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
So I just picked up a 2000 GT and I can't seem to figure out why my driver side head lamp barely puts out any light even when I've replaced the bulb with others. I've swapped the bulbs from each side and no matter what I put on the driver side the bulb is really dim but fully lit on the passenger side . What could cause this ? I've cleaned the connection on that end, checked the fuses under the hood, and only other thing I can think of is a bad wire somewhere in that part of the loom but wouldn't that cause both sides to act up ?

I would really like to figure this out so please any and all help would greatly be appreciated .

chi_town
01-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Just noticed that if i put the bulb back into the driver side headlamp that both my fog lamps go out and wont turn back on unless the bulb is removed , has to be something with the wiring somewhere just don't know where or what exactly is going on .

PLEASE HELP

TruGreenGAGT
01-19-2013, 03:12 PM
is your high beam indicator on at all??

unchained_01
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
The fog lights go out when the high beams are on. Also the grounds in the lights need to be checked for corrosion.

chi_town
01-19-2013, 03:23 PM
The high beam indicator does engage , and i know the fog lamps go out when the High's are activated but they go out once i put the bulbs in when they are still on lows but not while the passenger side bulbs are in .

What do you mean the grounds in the lights ? I've tried 4 bulbs total, which includes the bulb from the passenger side that is working fine, and still the same results the bulbs either wont light up at all or they just illuminate very slightly almost like a dimmer parking lamp.

unchained_01
01-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Could be they relay and the ground is on the inner fender.

chi_town
01-19-2013, 03:36 PM
relay under the hood? It doesn't seem like there is a relay for headlamps just to 15 mini fuses . And, how far into the inner fender is the ground ? I may have to go take a look at that and hopefully maybe it just needs to be cleaned up .

chi_town
01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
The only issue is that the only light that doesn't work like it should is the headlight so could the ground still be the issue ?

TruGreenGAGT
01-19-2013, 04:02 PM
i was meaning is the high indicator on when the lights should be in low beam mode. its possible that wires got switched or are shorting out

chi_town
01-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Oh gotcha , no it's just on if i actually put the highs on .

TruGreenGAGT
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
interesting???
what happens if your remove the pass side light but leave in the driver side?
does it get brighter or stay the same?

Edit: also these cars are picky. check and clean your battery cables.

FuriousG
01-19-2013, 04:26 PM
relay under the hood? It doesn't seem like there is a relay for headlamps just to 15 mini fuses . And, how far into the inner fender is the ground ? I may have to go take a look at that and hopefully maybe it just needs to be cleaned up .

The ground on the inner fender is a small black box near your air filter box. Should be a bunch of wires going into it from underneath and it looks like a relay pack but it's actually just a grounding connection. If that connector has water in it then you could get all sorts of grounding problems with your headlights.

You can see the connector I'm talking about on the right in this picture. I removed my air filter box for the CAI and I had to move that grounding box slightly since the screw broke off when I tried grounding my projectors to it but it's in the same general area.
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll133/Eyezauh8/Halo%20install/P9260097.jpg

bricooper78
01-19-2013, 07:15 PM
and ground problems will make it VERY HARD to get good light. dim lights are bad grounds on that bulb a lot of the time. get that thing figured out

chi_town
01-22-2013, 12:57 PM
These headlights are a PITA to re install after you remove them btw, I mean wtf , and I've still not been able to pull the intake off to get to that ground either so hopefully this weekend I'll get around to doing that when im not working . Is there an easy way to install these lights, because It seems like those little round cream colored plastic pieces with the screens coming from them need to almost slid into the brackets but they don't sit right when you push them that far back ...

BrittsBen
01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Peel you inner fender well up or take your bumper off and headlights are a sinch. If your bumper is in relatively good shape and will go back over the lights with an extra set of hands to help you. I personally despise the headlights on these cars as my daily driver is an 01 civic. They have basic headlights but after driving my lady's grand am it feels like i have halo projectors lol.

If all else fails look online for a cheap replacment headlight and work on cleaning out an corrosion or rusty grounds while your at it. In all likelihood after a year or so the headlight will have moisture in it but I've had decent luck and they store work great.

chi_town
01-24-2013, 02:27 AM
I have to do something , they are just sitting in the spots for them on the front end pushed in as far as I could possibly get them. I intend on purchasing aftermarket ones but not until I get the re install down , and find a set that aren't just junk ebay ones or junk ones in general that will eventaully just fog up after a few months like my other head lamp purchases have .

There has to be a way to re install these headlamps properly without having to mess with it for hours on end .