coolant question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant question

03black
01-20-2013, 03:42 PM
i saw somewhere that the factory coolant is known for eating away the intake manifold gaskets. What coolant should i put in my car? seeing as my coolant is gone right now from a stupid TB bypass.

Nick-G
01-20-2013, 04:28 PM
You should use dexcool.

03black
01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
i thought dexcool was bad?

3800L67GAM
01-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Every time I used dexcool it would gunk up every where

bricooper78
01-20-2013, 07:12 PM
i thought dexcool was bad?

10 years ago maybe.

Use the dexcool, it's fine. I have 21K miles on a drain and refill with new dex, no issues. never had the issue w/ my 01. You're ok.

Starglow
01-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Dexcool when used in the GA turns brown especially in the coolant tank. You can use regular coolant as well with no issues, but you should flush out as much of the old Dexcool as possible before refilling with fresh coolant.

bricooper78
01-20-2013, 07:57 PM
If you switch FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM COMPLETELY OUT first. It will be your best bet.

Also, with dex, replace your coolant sooner than 100K miles. 50K is plenty for it to go, and if there are leaks, yes it can gum up, it reacts with air somehow, the newer versions were supposed to have addressed that however.

bottom line, it's your car, the old style antifreeze is what it is, dex can run twice as long, and should NOT go 100K miles no matter what. It's a cheap thing to do to help preserve your car.
Use the search button, "dexcool' and see what you read on here alone. The posts with problems are from 5 years ago or more, but a flush and refill is a good thing to do for your car's health.

AaronGTR
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Just use the prestone long life coolant you can get at the auto parts store. It's basically the same thing, and is GM dexcool approved.

The problem before was with the gaskets, not the coolant. Since then they've changed the gasket material and design, and they've improved the coolant formula as well.

As stated, the coolant is good for 5 years or 60,000 miles. You shouldn't run it longer than that. If it's due to be replaced, get new coolant and a bottle of prestone cooling system flush and follow the directions on the bottle, then fill with the new coolant.

kzulfic
01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
If you switch FLUSH YOUR SYSTEM COMPLETELY OUT first. It will be your best bet.

Also, with dex, replace your coolant sooner than 100K miles. 50K is plenty for it to go, and if there are leaks, yes it can gum up, it reacts with air somehow, the newer versions were supposed to have addressed that however.

bottom line, it's your car, the old style antifreeze is what it is, dex can run twice as long, and should NOT go 100K miles no matter what. It's a cheap thing to do to help preserve your car.
Use the search button, "dexcool' and see what you read on here alone. The posts with problems are from 5 years ago or more, but a flush and refill is a good thing to do for your car's health.

^ This. Make sure you get all the old stuff out, but still use dexcool. You can you the ethylene glycol too(just be sure to flush all dexcool out if you do), but it is not necessary.

Like Cooper said, change it frequently just like any other coolant, just sooner. If you don't take care of your cooling system this is where you will have problems. If you go to long without changing your pH levels will drop to low, and it will turn your coolant acidic, which will give you scale, mineral deposits, and deterioration of gaskets. With our engines, and any other engine with aluminum parts the deterioration will happen sooner. Different metals have different affects, on how fast the coolant will degrade.

AaronGTR
01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
^ This. Make sure you get all the old stuff out, but still use dexcool. You can you the ethylene glycol too(just be sure to flush all dexcool out if you do), but it is not necessary.

Stop spreading misinformation. That is not correct. I've researched this and posted it up here about 100 times. Dexcool (and the other approved long life coolants) all use ethylene glycol as well.

They all use ethylene glycol as the anti-freezing agent. The difference between the old style coolant and the long life coolant is what they use as a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor. The old stuff used a silicone based one. Long life coolant uses organic acid.

read this.
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/Extension/ExtProg/machinery/Articles/engcool.htm

kzulfic
01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Stop spreading misinformation. That is not correct. I've researched this and posted it up here about 100 times. Dexcool (and the other approved long life coolants) all use ethylene glycol as well.

They all use ethylene glycol as the anti-freezing agent. The difference between the old style coolant and the long life coolant is what they use as a lubricant and corrosion inhibitor. The old stuff used a silicone based one. Long life coolant uses organic acid.

read this.
http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/Extension/ExtProg/machinery/Articles/engcool.htm

Whoopty freaking doo, you want a cookie?

Why do you have to be a **** about everything you correct? Everything else I said is true, and I'm just trying to help the OP.Sorry I don't know it all like you Aaron. I don't mind being corrected, but do you always have come off the wrong way?

AaronGTR
01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Whoopty freaking doo, you want a cookie?

Why do you have to be a **** about everything you correct? Everything else I said is true, and I'm just trying to help the OP.Sorry I don't know it all like you Aaron. I don't mind being corrected, but do you always have come off the wrong way?

You ever think maybe it's you taking it the wrong way?

Sorry if I get tired of correcting the same stupid people's same stupid mistakes all the time. Like I said, I've posted that info here about 100 times. It gets old. I just try and post the correct info the shortest most concise way possible. I'm not here to blow sunshine up your ass and make you feel good about yourself. If you want to help people out, research and know what you are telling people is correct before you post it. :rolleyes: Otherwise other unfortunate noobs who come here may look up this topic and find your post and think it's the truth.

kzulfic
01-21-2013, 09:24 PM
You ever think maybe it's you taking it the wrong way?

Sorry if I get tired of correcting the same stupid people's same stupid mistakes all the time. Like I said, I've posted that info here about 100 times. It gets old. I just try and post the correct info the shortest most concise way possible. I'm not here to blow sunshine up your ass and make you feel good about yourself. If you want to help people out, research and know what you are telling people is correct before you post it. :rolleyes: Otherwise other unfortunate noobs who come here may look up this topic and find your post and think it's the truth.

No, I'm not taking it the wrong way. I see your posts, and they way you just put people down, and I do the same thing so I know what you mean about stupid people, but damn I had one thing incorrect, and you're all over it. You simply could have stated your case, and I would have changed my original post so nobody got confused, or seen incorrect info, But know you had to start of by saying " Stop spreading misinformation".

No, I don't expect you to blow sunshine up my ass, but just don't be a ****. Like I said I don't mind being corrected, so what I posted somthing wrong. I usually research things, but I thought I had it right, so shame on me I guess. You act like you have never been wrong before.

AaronGTR
01-21-2013, 09:38 PM
oh, I've been wrong before....

So I learned what I was talking about and stopped posting things I wasn't sure on, or I stated that I didn't know for sure.

And if someone says I'm wrong and proves it, I say "sorry, my mistake" instead of getting all butt hurt about.

kzulfic
01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
What about the power steering thread? You got pretty butt hut about that one, and didn't day you were wrong. You just said that it wasn't the right way, which it wasn't right nor wrong, just personal preference.

TDavis
01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Haven't asked my dad specifically why but he has heard bad things about Dexcool. Again, haven't asked specifics on why.

He's been around/working on cars for around 35 years. I'm actually teaching him new things that I learn since hes not that familiar with the newer cars.

bricooper78
01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
What about the power steering thread? You got pretty butt hut about that one, and didn't day you were wrong. You just said that it wasn't the right way, which it wasn't right nor wrong, just personal preference.

Butt hut FTW!!!!!!!!!!

sounds like something Tom Brady does!!! omg that killed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:applause:

AaronGTR
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM

No, I said I've tried it and it doesn't work on my car. Maybe it's got something to do with my stiffer tranny mounts, but it doesn't fit. And I also still think it's the wrong way to do it. My PS pump bolts were pretty tight the first time I took them off and they wouldn't have come off with a swivel. I needed a ratchet with a straight socket to get enough torque.

Anyway, that's a difference of opinion if you want to call it that. That isn't the same as simply being wrong.

kzulfic
01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
No, I said I've tried it and it doesn't work on my car. Maybe it's got something to do with my stiffer tranny mounts, but it doesn't fit. And I also still think it's the wrong way to do it. My PS pump bolts were pretty tight the first time I took them off and they wouldn't have come off with a swivel. I needed a ratchet with a straight socket to get enough torque.

Anyway, that's a difference of opinion if you want to call it that. That isn't the same as simply being wrong.

Call it what you want, you're just to hard headed, and there's no arguing with you. forgive me Aaron you are GOD. Hail to the!

BTW, you were butt hurt, wheather you admit it or not, you were.

AaronGTR
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Call it what you want, you're just to hard headed, and there's no arguing with you. forgive me Aaron you are GOD. Hail to the!

BTW, you were butt hurt, wheather you admit it or not, you were.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

3800L67GAM
01-21-2013, 10:26 PM
Shiz this forum hasn't changed a bit since I was gone :p

bricooper78
01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Well it got a bit less confused, but aside of that, no.

3800L67GAM
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Well it got a bit less confused, but aside of that, no.

It's time to start cooper boot camp!!!