Idler Pulley torque specs? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Idler Pulley torque specs?

fastmodena
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Anyone know the torque specs for the 2 idler pulleys?

I am finding conflicting info. Either 18ft/lb or 33 ft/lb is what I have found. Anyone know the correct spec?

chris_gt_74
01-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Lol I literally just put 2 new one's on my car yesterday. Needless to say I didn't bother with torque specs. I just tightened it tight and gave them a extra tug.

AaronGTR
01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Ya know, that's the weird thing... I've got a factory manual and I've never been able to find a torque listing for them. In fact, to remove the front cover you have to remove at least one of those pulleys to get to a bolt behind it that holds the timing cover on, but in the removal/installation instructions for that it never once mentions taking off that pulley or reinstalling it or gives a torque spec.

I would just torque it to 30-35 ft/lbs and call it good. 35 is the spec for the medium size cover bolts and the belt tensioner bolt, and they are the same thread, so that should be good. Honestly I almost never torque mine. I just hand tighten. I torque stuff like the timing cover bolts, intake manifold bolts, etc that are very critical to avoiding leaks and not stripping out.

fastmodena
01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
I was thinking around 30 or just hand tighten. Thought I would check here first. I couldn't remember what I did last time I replaced the idler pulleys. That was only in NOV 2011! I replaced with Dayco idler's and a Dayco tensioner. Tensioner seems good still but the pulleys are shot, I never really liked them from the beginning for some reason so I am going with Gates this time.

3800L67GAM
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I was thinking around 30 or just hand tighten. Thought I would check here first. I couldn't remember what I did last time I replaced the idler pulleys. That was only in NOV 2011! I replaced with Dayco idler's and a Dayco tensioner. Tensioner seems good still but the pulleys are shot, I never really liked them from the beginning for some reason so I am going with Gates this time.

Hand tight is good enough no more paragraphs about torque sPecs.