Squeal of death [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Squeal of death

hyperdrive360
01-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Uknown squealing sound coming from what seems the belt. I tried anti squeal for the belt and no luck. Input ? Video to show what is going on. (click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9phZJrw4g))

klokworx
01-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Its on the tip of my tongue, its been brought up before. But just an FYI, anti slip or anti squeal spray don't do ****

sleepyalero
01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Probably a pulley

hyperdrive360
01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Its on the tip of my tongue, its been brought up before. But just an FYI, anti slip or anti squeal spray don't do ****

Yeah I realize it doesn't work, it was worth a shot, I don't really feel like throwing parts at it, i've been down that road before. And id really like to avoid changing the belt (less than a year old) possibly the hardest belt to change(3.4).

sleepyalero
01-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Yeah I realize it doesn't work, it was worth a shot, I don't really feel like throwing parts at it, i've been down that road before. And id really like to avoid changing the belt (less than a year old) possibly the hardest belt to change(3.4).

After you've done it once, it gets easier every time.

hyperdrive360
01-24-2013, 05:29 PM
*update* (kind-of)
Put a rod to the lower pulley bolt, it was vibrating pretty bad. I believe this is the culprit, not sure why it would make a squeal from a vibration, but its definitely not in good condition. More updates to come as i'm not working this weekend and ill take the belt off and spin the pulleys to make sure the're bad.
And thanks for the replies guys, it means a-lot to a GAGT newbie

[ChaosweaveR]
01-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Definitely not the belt itself, but I was going to say either an idler pulley or tensioner pulley.

By pulley, which one are you going after, the tensioner of just an idler pulley?

SeatreandGT2003
01-24-2013, 06:29 PM
I had that problem but I been a while back I think it's the bearings in the wheels!! I forgot the name of it buys its thoese wheels that hold the stap on!!
I might be wrong !! But that's what I am leaning towards !!
Good luck!! And nice white GT u got!

TDavis
01-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Do zinc plated rotors not rust?

EDIT: oops wrong fkin thread

[ChaosweaveR]
01-24-2013, 07:13 PM
I had that problem but I been a while back I think it's the bearings in the wheels!! I forgot the name of it buys its thoese wheels that hold the stap on!!
I might be wrong !! But that's what I am leaning towards !!
Good luck!! And nice white GT u got!

:facedesk:

I'll give you one thing, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

SeatreandGT2003
01-24-2013, 07:49 PM
;1201609']:facedesk:

I'll give you one thing, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Maybe you are right!! But I know that sound witch I had before on my 99 ga se

Just can't explain it !! Sorry for trying!!
Guess I should not say anything anymore !

[ChaosweaveR]
01-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Maybe you are right!! But I know that sound witch I had before on my 99 ga se

Just can't explain it !! Sorry for trying!!
Guess I should not say anything anymore !

OP has an issue with the pulleys, and you're telling him about wheel bearings that could be making the noise and something about a strap that "holds it down".

Maybe you should keep your jumbled thoughts to yourself.

SeatreandGT2003
01-24-2013, 08:34 PM
;1201623']OP has an issue with the pulleys, and you're telling him about wheel bearings that could be making the noise and something about a strap that "holds it down".

Maybe you should keep your jumbled thoughts to yourself.

Well noted chaosweaver thanks for the heads up for next time!!

SeatreandGT2003
01-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Well I did some hunting found my papers on the parts I changed !!

Changed my idler pulley cause of warn out bearing!
Changed as well my tensioner as well!! Noise was gone after!!!

Sorry for the mix up before as what I said!!

hyperdrive360
01-25-2013, 07:35 AM
;1201599']Definitely not the belt itself, but I was going to say either an idler pulley or tensioner pulley.

By pulley, which one are you going after, the tensioner of just an idler pulley?

Both Idlers (possibly a tensioner, depending on the price), the car has over 250k and these haven't been replaced or even touched since day 1 so its worth 18 bucks a piece for the OEM parts to attempt to fix this headache of a problem.

[ChaosweaveR]
01-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Both Idlers (possibly a tensioner, depending on the price), the car has over 250k and these haven't been replaced or even touched since day 1 so its worth 18 bucks a piece for the OEM parts to attempt to fix this headache of a problem.

If that's the case, I'd replace the idler and tensioner. At that mileage, it's just common sense to replace them if they're original. They're wear items.

plastic_indian
01-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Yeah I realize it doesn't work, it was worth a shot,

When diagnosing a possible belt noise issue, use brakleen or silicone spray. While brakleen isn't good for the belt (and, after drying, belt noise often worsens), it will often temporarily quiet a belt noise or at least change the severity (although excessive application will occasionally cause belt throwing). Silicone spray is the better choice - that slick/sticky feeling on a new belt is silicone; otherwise good belts are often replaced for noise complaints when the only problem was loss of the silicone from an engine degreasing or washing down after a coolant leak repair, etc.

In either case, brakleen and silicone spray have enough other uses around the garage that the cost of a can is a far better value than belt dressing, which is, as pointed out, a virtual waste of money.