Spark Plug Wire [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Wire

stakeout00
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I changed out the plugs and wires in my 2000 GA GT 3.4L w/ 122k miles today. But I couldn't get plug wire #1 off of the spark plug (back side of engine passenger side). I pulled and tugged and twisted and that SOB wouldn't come off. The other two wires in the back were also a PITA, but they did come off w/ some words of encouragement.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions on how to get that wire off? It is in a position where I can't get any leverage or room to pull the thing out.

kzulfic
01-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Grab a looong pair of pliers, and pull away. They can be a PITA if you don't use grease when you replace them, so get some dielectric grease, and put a little on the terminal, to help you later on.

stakeout00
01-26-2013, 11:14 PM
I've tried that. All the boot did was stretch. I've pulled and twisted, I'll have to try it again tomorrow.

This is the first time the plugs have been changed. I'm putting dielectric grease i the plug wires this time. I just gotta get the last d*mn plug wire out.

stakeout00
01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
I finally got the last plug wire off and completed the job. What a PITA. Here is what the last wire came out looking like. After I ripped the boot in half, I pulled on the heat shield and it came out separately. I had to get a knife and screw driver to cut out/pry out the remaining part of the boot.

Glad that is done