Transmission questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission questions

04GaGT1981
01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
ok, im sure its been asked here before? but searches were bringing up a lot of unrelated posts so it was getting confusing......SO

just put in an ENTIRE fuel pump/filter. so now shes actually running again. so now the next problem to stand out is......

every here and there (seems like the colder it is)

if i put her in D i get a little bit of a delayed shift going into second, and then when it makes second....theres a noticeable thump....but does ok, then on the same ride, if i manually shift 1..2..3....D it shifts perfectly fine. some days its fine whether manually shifting or just D. but it never slips/shifts hard when i do it manually

so do i have a shift solenoid going down? or the whole tranny? it ALWAYS shifts fine when i manually shift it. every maybe 1 trip out of 5 she'll hard shift second. so im not sure. and can the solenoid be replaced VS the whole transmission

ALSO can someone point me to a good thread on whether i can convert my 04 GT coupe to manual? i noticed i do have a shift light in my dash. and have heard it can be done, (if the automatic is going its all the excuse i need)

thanks, sorry if this is a wicked repeated question.

sleepyalero
01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73212&highlight=f40

there ya go, it wont be cheap.

ive got the 6 speed swap in my alero. :)

04GaGT1981
01-29-2013, 01:29 PM
hmmmm well what about a 5 speed? i heard someone say the g6 manual would fit?

sleepyalero
01-29-2013, 02:37 PM
hmmmm well what about a 5 speed? i heard someone say the g6 manual would fit?

The g6 manual is what I have.... It's a 6 speed (F40) transmission.

The 5 speed is a getrag 282.

There's some info on the 5 speed in this thread.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63950&highlight=speed+swap

rocketfast123
01-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Spend $50 and change fluid. Your old fluid is just thicker in the cold. Also let not forget motor mounts and trans mounts.