E-Brake broken (kind of) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : E-Brake broken (kind of)

Cam2Fast
01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
So I went to park my car one day as I always do, on my driveway which is a very steep grade and when I engaged the parking brake, it felt fine until I let it go and realized it wouldn't stay. Seems the button had popped out quite a bit and there was no ratcheting action at all... gone. Whatever clutch or gear is in there to keep the brake up is apparently busted although the brake itself still works perfectly fine.

Is this repairable or does it make more sense just to replace the whole handle? How might I go about such a task? Thank you.

bricooper78
01-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Just hit a junkyard and nab another one. Ironically I hold my button in while I'm putting my brake on, so far so good lol

There was another post on another site just couple weeks ago about the same thing

Cam2Fast
01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Lol that's what I figured... damn thing. Worked fine for more than a decade only to go tits up on me now.

How much of a PITA is it to swap it out? Do I have to rip everything apart to get at it? I'd prefer not to have a mechanic destroy my interior over a brake handle.

bricooper78
01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154247&highlight=brake+handle

2nd post has some links to .pdf files on "how-to" remove this stuff, it ain't terrible, but you'll need to be patient.

It just unbolts and you have to remove the cable, of course..
but, its a remove the console kinda job... lame.
I'll dig you up a link

kzulfic
01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Removing the console sucks. I find it more comfortable to take out the seats first. Just 2 bolts per seat and a plug on the drivers seat.

rocketfast123
01-30-2013, 08:42 AM
1 liter sprite bottle works great at holding up the parking brake. I'm just too lazy to remove the center consul.

Cam2Fast
01-30-2013, 09:15 PM
No no no no no.... I have so much custom wiring going up through there. I can't rip all that apart. I'll never get it all back together again. WTF this thing have to break for?

Seriously looking at the sprite bottle option.

I guess I shouldn't have hooked nitrous into the cupholder and my subwoofer volume control into the lid. What a mess.

Thanks for the PDFs. I know you were trying to help. I just have a sick feeling now though thinking of fixing this. I wish cars were designed to be more repair-friendly.

TruGreenGAGT
01-30-2013, 09:22 PM
No no no no no.... I have so much custom wiring going up through there. I can't rip all that apart. I'll never get it all back together again. WTF this thing have to break for?

Seriously looking at the sprite bottle option.

I guess I shouldn't have hooked nitrous into the cupholder and my subwoofer volume control into the lid. What a mess.

Thanks for the PDFs. I know you were trying to help. I just have a sick feeling now though thinking of fixing this. I wish cars were designed to be more repair-friendly.

um ya you got pics of the parts in bold??