Fuel gauge readings are off? Help? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel gauge readings are off? Help?

themanytoys15
02-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I have a 02 ga gt. I put $10 of gas, next thing I know I have quarter full in the fuel gauge, when I had it in close to empty. Is my fuel pump failing?

greddy2race
02-01-2013, 10:51 PM
It is your fuel sending unit..mine reads full when I have above a quarter tank and empty when i'm below a quarter tank

rocketfast123
02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Run some fuel treatment. This new crap #### with the sending unit. I had a problem in my grand am. (rip sandy). a long time ago where i ran it at 1/4 or less for about 4 months...(crappy job) and sometimes ride home on the low fuel light, and to work. I filled it up for the first time and when i left the gas station it went to empty.

I added some cheap STP treatment and problem was fixed. Being that your car is old, it wouldn't help to change your fuel filter. I taking my car to the good year place, I'm not dealing with plastic fuel lines.

edit!!
Been drinking 4loko so it read rite to me

TruGreenGAGT
02-01-2013, 11:44 PM
the GA correct me if I'm wrong has a 12 gallon tank....

so if you were at or close to Empty. and put $10 (roughly what 3 gallons with current gas price) then you start your car and it shows 1/4 tank???

thats about what I'm getting from your post....I'd say your being paranoid and everything is fine. casue ya not no mathematician but pretty sure 3 gallons is a 1/4 of 12....

shiwnath
02-02-2013, 12:17 AM
This is a common problem with GM vehicles produced around our model years. It was actually a Technical Service Bulletin:

Subject: Info - GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits #05-00-89-078A - (09/14/2006)

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and update information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078 (Section 00 -- General Information).

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.
Added Benefits and Uses

The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.
The Four Benefits

Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:
• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

If you don't feel like wasting money by paying stealership prices and buying the GM stuff, I've read before that Techron makes GM's fuel plus additive and they stuff the market under their brand is pretty much identical.

thapunisha333
02-02-2013, 04:05 AM

i think its 14 gallons but close enough

themanytoys15
02-02-2013, 05:23 AM
I'll try the fuel treatment cleaner, I do change my fuel filter regularly around twice a year, but haven't added FUel treatment cleaner in awhile cause I stopped believing In it. Thanks for your guys help

themanytoys15
02-02-2013, 05:26 AM

so if you were at or close to Empty. and put $10 (roughly what 3 gallons with current gas price) then you start your car and it shows 1/4 tank???

thats about what I'm getting from your post....I'd say your being paranoid and everything is fine. casue ya not no mathematician but pretty sure 3 gallons is a 1/4 of 12....

No, I meant I put $10 in at 1/4 empty, then the gauge jumped all the way to 3/4 full. Originally With $10 the gauge with not even be close to 2/4!

themanytoys15
02-02-2013, 05:28 AM
This is a common problem with GM vehicles produced around our model years. It was actually a Technical Service Bulletin:

Subject: Info - GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits #05-00-89-078A - (09/14/2006)

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2007 HUMMER H2
2006-2007 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years and update information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-00-89-078 (Section 00 -- General Information).

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.
Added Benefits and Uses

The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.
The Four Benefits

Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:
• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.
• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.
• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.
• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

If you don't feel like wasting money by paying stealership prices and buying the GM stuff, I've read before that Techron makes GM's fuel plus additive and they stuff the market under their brand is pretty much identical.

Who knew that a simple solution to this problem would be a fuel cleaner?! :amraam:

TruGreenGAGT
02-02-2013, 08:59 AM
No, I meant I put $10 in at 1/4 empty, then the gauge jumped all the way to 3/4 full. Originally With $10 the gauge with not even be close to 2/4!

ok so ya then i guess something is wrong....
so you had a 1/4 tank put roughly 3 gallons in ($10 worth) then the gauge showed you had 3/4 tank....were normally it should just go to 1/2

greddy2race
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
In my GT manual it says the fuel capacity is 15 gallons, cause I know I have ran out of gas before put a gallon in to get it to the gas station and put in almost 14 more gallons. So I'm pretty sure our cars hold a lot. I just need better fuel economy now.... but is it for sure that the fuel cleaner stuff will work? Cause when I get my taxes I was just going to have the whole sending unit replaced.

shiwnath
02-02-2013, 12:18 PM
In my GT manual it says the fuel capacity is 15 gallons, cause I know I have ran out of gas before put a gallon in to get it to the gas station and put in almost 14 more gallons. So I'm pretty sure our cars hold a lot. I just need better fuel economy now.... but is it for sure that the fuel cleaner stuff will work? Cause when I get my taxes I was just going to have the whole sending unit replaced.

If i were you, I'd try this stuff first. I've actually read on a couple forums that people were having good results with it. I haven't tried it myself because I've been broke, but it's one of the things definitely on my list. Plus it's cheaper than replacing a sending unit that might still be in working condition.

plastic_indian
02-02-2013, 07:54 PM

*snip*

The Four Benefits

*snip*

Just goes to show that occasionally gems can be found, even on the Interweb...

I'd never read this TSB before; I'd always assumed sending unit damage was caused by the ever-increasing alcohol content of pump fuels...

On a side note, be cautious when substituting chemicals noted in GM service bulletins. I've personally lost my ass chasing lean conditions with clogged Multec II injectors by running Motorvac or other aftermarket chemicals, only to find that one round with the blue GM injector detergent solved the problem.

themanytoys15
02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Solution to the problem: changed fuel filter, added Chevron Techron, filled her up, drove for about 2 hrs. And she's back to normal. For the time being......

stakeout00
02-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice. I'll have to try the Techron. My fuel gauge doesn't read accurately. I'll get 125-150 miles out of the first 1/4 of the tank and 50 miles out of the last 1/4 tank.