2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

chi_town
02-11-2013, 05:38 AM
So I've been noticing that my GT's heat is colder at times and than it heats up at other times. My temp gauge in the car shows just over the lowes the first 140deg , than it will just almost dead center between 140-200. I have checked the oil, it didn't have any type of milky looking substance and i even had the tech show me after it was just changed and it was just dirty nothing more .

I've been under the asumption that it has a lower temp thermostat and it's just either sticking open or closed . Other than that my first assumption was the intake manifold but I do have heat, but it's only real heat not just mild heat at times so im not really sure that that would be the problem.

So please any and all your input is greatly appreciate .

Thanks for your help

Chi_Town

Nick-G
02-11-2013, 07:35 AM
If your coolant is in good condition I would just replace the thermostat and see if it makes a difference. Its cheap and easy to do so why not.

AaronGTR
02-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I would just try replacing the thermostat, and use an OEM 195 degree unit, not a lower temp aftermarket.

chi_town
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
I noticed today that there is a little bit of coolant leaking from somewhere not sure but it's leaving a smal spot on my driveway . I really do hope that it's not the intake manifold gasket. I may try to bring it in and have it looked at this week some time .

If it turns out that it's nothing major, im going to just flush the coolant and change the thermostat out and hopefully that will improve the heat .

Chi_Town

chi_town
02-21-2013, 03:13 AM
No help ?

sleepyalero
02-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Well what other help is there to give? I also agree do a thermostat change. And can't really give you any further insight until you tell us where the leak is. Good luck.

FuriousG
02-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I'd also advise parking on a piece of cardboard so that you can figure out where the coolant is leaking from. If it's from the overflow tube then that's another clue that would point to the thermostat. Any other external leak could also change the pressure within the coolant lines and cause the fluctuation in temperatures. If that's the case, you might have a good thermostat and just a leak to fix instead (although a new thermostat couldn't hurt either.)

chi_town
02-24-2013, 03:32 AM
A friend noticed that there is a slight coolant smell that was coming from the vents earlier today, but i still had heat and it eventually went away. The car was parked and warming up for about 20min but otherwise , I drove it for about 10min to walmart, and ran in for maybe 15 and came back out and the smell was still there. Driving back to my place just now I didn't notice any smell what so ever ( 96 miles ) heat was pretty good the entire way.

Im just stumped because if it's the termostat , that wold explain the temp issue, but the coolant smell is where it makes no sense, and there is no milky substance in the oil, as it was just changed and that was one of my worries , didn't see anything on the oil cap either .

thoughts ?

Chi_town