SES Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES Light

WyattEarp
02-16-2013, 03:45 PM
First I would like to say Hi to everyone, this is my first time posting. I recently purchased a used 2002 Grand Am Se I think, it has a 4 cylinder engine.

The Service Engine Soon light came on and I drove back to the used car dealer for them to check out. 1 hour drive later, they tell me I had a bad gas cap and they replaced it and the SES light was off. A few days later it came back on.

Rather then driving all the way back again for a run-a-round I decided to buy a code reader. I bought the Innova 3100 CanOBD2 Diagnostic Tool. This tool gave me a reading of "P0442Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)"

I doubt its the gas cap again. I went and fueled up again, made sure the cap was tight enough, cleared the code. I few days later it came on again.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? There is 183000 Klms on the vehicle.

Thanks

bricooper78
02-16-2013, 07:13 PM
You don't fill up with it running do you?

That's telling you exactly what the issue is, there is a small leak. it's letting fumes out.

Check the actual filler neck, make sure there isn't gummed up crap on there, which would keep the fuel cap from sealing. It's a pita, I've had a couple issues with mine over the years, it's more annoying than anything. However, the evap system does have some vacuum lines, and one of them may have a small crack in it. But that cap is public enemy number 1.

PS, welcome aboard! Notice we were warned on the main page lol it tends to get a bit rough sometimes on everyone, but we're just playing around!

Shade2012
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
You don't fill up with it running do you?

That's telling you exactly what the issue is, there is a small leak. it's letting fumes out.

Check the actual filler neck, make sure there isn't gummed up crap on there, which would keep the fuel cap from sealing. It's a pita, I've had a couple issues with mine over the years, it's more annoying than anything. However, the evap system does have some vacuum lines, and one of them may have a small crack in it. But that cap is public enemy number 1.

PS, welcome aboard! Notice we were warned on the main page lol it tends to get a bit rough sometimes on everyone, but we're just playing around!

Unless you're locoman, then we're serious.

WyattEarp
02-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Ok thanks bricooper78 I will check those areas out. The car is shut off when I fuel up. I did notice the "new gas cap" they put on was very well used. I'll post what I find.