running wierd... :-( [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : running wierd... :-(

GTfiend
02-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Ok so heres the deal... bought the car a year ago ( 2002 GA GT 3.4 with 119k MI) ran fine till about 2 months ago. before that i was getting around 23mpg now im getting about 14mpg. when im in drive idling at a stop sign i can feel kinda like the engine is struggling and its vibrating. like a constant reoccurring droning type of feeling. actually it happens no matter what gear its in but its more noticeable in drive.

What I have replaced/fixed:
Plugs
wires
fuel filter
fuel pressure regulator that was leaking
Intake air temp sensor connector
air filter

I also paid to get the injectors cleaned professionally a while back. I have no check engine light on. BUT it seems like the car is getting harder to start. I will turn the key and it will have to turn more and more to get it running. I was thinking ignition coil pack? any input is appreciated! ( I did search... nothing really answered my question)

bricooper78
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Is there any way you can get a vid of this and put up here?

GTfiend
02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Is there any way you can get a vid of this and put up here?

i will see if i can borrow a camera. i dont know to much about cars but I did do all the above stuff by myself... but im guessing my engine is misfiring... i dunno. just irritating cause if I wanted 14mpg I would have bought a truck!

bricooper78
02-21-2013, 06:52 PM
B'ah, my truck is about 12mpg lol you're still doing better...

You have no sort of engine light, and it's running bad. Vacuum line leak comes to mind, first thing, check to make sure they're plugged in all the way, the pcv valve, it's on top of the valve cover, has a bend on top of it, then hose, then another bend back around on the top of the motor, that being up top, it could've got knocked loose, and it may not be "off" but it isn't tight either, something like that could make you have some issues.

GTfiend
02-21-2013, 07:04 PM
B'ah, my truck is about 12mpg lol you're still doing better...

You have no sort of engine light, and it's running bad. Vacuum line leak comes to mind, first thing, check to make sure they're plugged in all the way, the pcv valve, it's on top of the valve cover, has a bend on top of it, then hose, then another bend back around on the top of the motor, that being up top, it could've got knocked loose, and it may not be "off" but it isn't tight either, something like that could make you have some issues.

hahaha.... forgot to mention today I had it in and they checked vacuum with a gauge and said it was fine. they couldnt figure it out. The guy said 14mpg is good... i call BS.

bricooper78
02-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Well, with winter blend, in town, "hot rodding" it (i'm old, so i usually kinda just cruise, take that into mind lol ) i get about 17. that's with a Cold Air Intake (the CAI you read about) and I was messing with some ducting from the driving light hole back to the filter when I got that reading.. never really checked after. Stock air intake, 75 degree day, on the highway, one time I got 36mpg, but that was the only time i got that much, I assume I had a good tail wind.

14 is a bit low, but you're further north than me, and I know our winter blend kills the mileage, especially if you're on 89octane. use 87 (no ethanol, all gas, higher $ but gives you more mileage by 1 or 2 mpgs) and see if that helps any. it will still be a winter 87, but may help you out to get you up to 17ish

Starglow
02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
Plugs
wires
fuel filter
air filter

Check your coil packs for corrosion on the spark plug wire terminals or just replace them. Also clean the MAF sensor because it gets dirty over time which can affect air/fuel mixture ratio and in turn gas mileage.

GTfiend
02-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Check your coil packs for corrosion on the spark plug wire terminals or just replace them. Also clean the MAF sensor because it gets dirty over time which can affect air/fuel mixture ratio and in turn gas mileage.

is that the only thing that will make them bad is corrosion? how would I test them?

MAC the KNIFE
02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
just pull the rubber boot off of the pack's metal plugs. at 100k miles, 5 of mine were fine, but there was 1 that was rusted awfully. i removed the rust and covered each plug with di-electric grease before plugging the rubber boot back on.

GTfiend
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
if one was not working properly wouldnt it trip ses? better yet wouldnt a misfire trip SES?

im gonna test them with a multimeter later. at this point im hoping one is going out cause im sick of trying to chase this problem down

jonny
02-22-2013, 09:06 PM
they checked vacuum with a gauge and said it was fine. they couldnt figure it out.
did they hook it up to a scanner, just because there is no light on now. there could be a code stored in the computer. auto zone or other parts stores will scan it for free.

GTfiend
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
they checked vacuum with a gauge and said it was fine. they couldnt figure it out.
did they hook it up to a scanner, just because there is no light on now. there could be a code stored in the computer. auto zone or other parts stores will scan it for free.

Had it scanned at autozone last night... No codes. :-( I did take off all 3 coil packs and check them for resistance. from left to right i got 5.96k 5.93k 6.03k ohms...

GTfiend
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Maybe its not even a misfire. what else can cause the engine to shake or pulse a little while at idle at a red light in drive? You cant tell on the tach but to me it just feels uneven... Im making a drive to north Carolina in april so I gotta have this thing running ok.

bricooper78
02-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Idk if the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve may be going on you, but that would trigger the light and a code... or it should anyway.

did you clean that MAF sensor? they do carbon up, can of cleaner is 6 bucks... also, the actual throttle body gets carbon too, that may not be a bad thing to look at, just make sure the intake side is clean, since you've cleaned the fuel side.

jonny
03-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Ok so heres the deal... bought the car a year ago ( 2002 GA GT 3.4 with 119k MI) ran fine till about 2 months ago. before that i was getting around 23mpg now im getting about 14mpg. when im in drive idling at a stop sign i can feel kinda like the engine is struggling and its vibrating. like a constant reoccurring droning type of feeling. actually it happens no matter what gear its in but its more noticeable in drive.

Plugs
wires
fuel filter
air filter

I also paid to get the injectors cleaned professionally a while back. I have no check engine light on. BUT it seems like the car is getting harder to start. I will turn the key and it will have to turn more and more to get it running. I was thinking ignition coil pack? any input is appreciated! ( I did search... nothing really answered my question)

i would try the ignition control module, i think it is weak spark that's why it runs rough at ide.

GTfiend
03-04-2013, 08:57 PM
Cleaned MAF already. Checked ignition coil packs. If the coil packs are good wouldn't the icm be ok?

GTfiend
03-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Well icm tested good at auto zone... testing fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If thats not it I'm pouring gas on the car and lighting a match

GTfiend
03-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Well fuel pressure tested at 48 psi so I'm pouring gas all over the car as we speak... gonna go find some matches. I'm never buying GM again.

greddy2race
03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
post a video of that... lol

unchained_01
03-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Check the 02 sensors and the egr for blockage And also did you replace the o rings on the injectors ?

GTfiend
03-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Check the 02 sensors and the egr for blockage And also did you replace the o rings on the injectors ?

The garage I took it to said the 02 and egr were fine... but who knows if they actually tested them or just told me that cause there's no CEL on. I'm leaning towards injectors... I checked ignition and fuel pressure. So it has to be compression or fuel injector problem...

GTfiend
03-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Well... I took a break on the engine problem to take car of the suspension. I'm running a tank of fuel mixed with techron. Got about a quarter tank left. Still no change though. Irritated.

2001gt
03-19-2013, 11:55 AM
check your crank sensor. does it start really hard too? like it seems to just chug when turning the key and it just runs like a dog the rest of the time?

PhantomLover007
03-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Clogged cat? This was why mine had no power.

Hanauer51
03-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Clogged cat? This was why mine had no power.

x2 had the same probelm

2001gt
03-21-2013, 11:24 AM
i dont think itd be a clogged cat he would actually probably throw a code for cat inefficiency or something related to the o2 sensor

Hanauer51
03-21-2013, 12:48 PM
i dont think itd be a clogged cat he would actually probably throw a code for cat inefficiency or something related to the o2 sensor

Not always the case, mine never threw any code, replaced the cat and haven't had a problem since.

sugar ray
03-22-2013, 11:11 PM
i had a similar issue. the problem on my 02 was a plgged cat as well!! Horrible gas milage and loss of power. However, in my case I was getting a code