Crnks but wont start 2000 grand am [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Crnks but wont start 2000 grand am

micheal_2014
02-22-2013, 02:34 AM
I am having the same problem with a 2000 grand am with the 3400 engine. I have replaced the crank and cam shaft position sensor's. It is getting fuel, the Ignition control module test good over 12 times, new plugs, wires, and i have a 6 different coil packs. but still no spark at all. And the ecu was reflashed from the dealer.(there is not a security code as far as i know of) Any ideas what else it could be??

pauljs75
02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Any codes from a diagnostic scanner plugged into the OBDII port?

I think the engine related circuits are also on the engine bay fuse box, so it might not hurt to give that a look over as well. (There are also fuse boxes on both sides of the dash which are accessable when front doors are opened, but I think those are mostly lights and accesory circuits.) Yeah it sounds stupid, but I've seen people jump into working on tricky and expensive stuff first because they overlooked trying the cheap and simple solutions.

micheal_2014
02-25-2013, 03:54 AM
Thats the first thing i checked. I used to just to conclusions bt i learned the hard way lol. SO i start off with the cheapest and worked my way up. I have been told just beacause something will test good off the car doesnt mean it is good. So I ordered a new ICM Ignition control module. For some really odd reason all of my coil packs went bad at the same time or so it seems. The coil packs should still have some sort f sign like only one terminal working on one or two packs but I have six of the same thing and i keep getting the same results of no power on either coil pack terinal and nothing through the spark plug wires. And if it was the injectors going bad as far as i know the ICM wouldnt have any power at all.
I'll re update after i get the part install ed and let ya know thanks for the input. IT is greatly apperciated.

micheal_2014
02-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Ok i installed the new ICM and yet nothing at all.... THe only thing left to change wouldbe the wiring harness. as far as i know of. Anything else that you can think of??
1 check fuses
2check ODB 2 meter
3 fixed anything that has come up the cam shaft position sensor, ICM, spark plugs, plug wires, fuses and a new reflashed Engine computer.
4 check if its getting fuel
5 Check it if has spark
Nothing!!!
Has fuel, power, good plugs, and god sensor signals.
NO spark what so ever it has power going in but not coming out...

Anything esle at all??

micheal_2014
02-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Ok i installed the new ICM and yet nothing at all.... THe only thing left to change wouldbe the wiring harness. as far as i know of. Anything else that you can think of??
1 check fuses
2check ODB 2 meter
3 fixed anything that has come up the cam shaft position sensor, ICM, spark plugs, plug wires, fuses and a new reflashed Engine computer.
4 check if its getting fuel
5 Check it if has spark
Nothing!!!
Has fuel, power, good plugs, and god sensor signals.
NO spark what so ever it has power going in but not coming out...

Anything esle at all??

TDavis
02-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Was going to say maybe a fuel pump out of spite but you said you're getting fuel. Mine cranked but you couldn't here the fuel pump engaging. Changed that along with putting in new spark plugs/wires and fuel filter since we already had those and runs like a dream now.

micheal_2014
03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Ok have the ICM fuse blown so i replaced it and it still does the same thing. No spark, no start but it cranks like crazy. Anyone with an Idea on how to read codes?? when i turn it over the lights all come on like normal b ut after i quit the battery light comes on the seat belt light comes on like usual and the oil light flashes exactly 7 times, on the fifth flash the check engine light comes on. Any idea's????

I'm going to check the fuels pressure officially tomorrow. Im just waiting for the pressure gauge.

bricooper78
03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Have you taken a plug boot off and tried to arc it on a screwdriver or the block to make sure you're not getting spark?

From the million things you're changing, if you actually have spark, with everything being tested that many times and showing ok, and it's still not running, I wonder if you do have spark, and have a vacuum line that popped off and that's why you're not getting it to run. From trying to read through this, that or jumping time are the only two things that come to my mind.

You didn't post any codes, so I imagine you don't have any?