Help a noob out [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob out

sidvicious512
02-27-2013, 05:15 PM
I recently bought a 99 Pontiac Grand Am v6. The folks I bought it from said it had been sitting in their yard for about eight months. The oil looked good but the coolant looked rusty. I drove it about 60 miles home and it started overheating so I pulled over and saw coolant pouring out of the overflow on the reservoir. Once I finally got it home I changed out the thermostat, drained the radiator, and put water in it. I know it's not a good idea to use straight water as coolant but this is strictly temporary. It still overheats but randomly and the heater goes cold at random. I've bled the cooling system as best as I can with the bleeder valve over the water pump. Sometimes it pushes air out, other times just coolant, but sometimes nothing comes out at all. The car has plenty of power, there's no water in the oil, and the coolant doesn't appear to have oil in it so I don't think it's the head gasket. I'm at a loss here guys and I have no idea what to do. Help a noob out. I'd be happy to provide pictures and give more detail if this description isn't enough.

EJ01GAGT
02-27-2013, 05:57 PM
drain the water add real coolant rebleed the system and maybe a new coolant reservoir cap and see what happens.

sidvicious512
02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
I forgot to mention that I did get a new cap.

EJ01GAGT
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Cool see what coolant does and bleeding the system

sidvicious512
02-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Okay here is where my noobness really shows, I can't find the drainco ck on the radiator and I have no idea how to drain the engine. Can I get a step by step on this? I'm really not a mechanic and I'm sure it shows.

Edit: Lol I can't say co ck

bricooper78
02-27-2013, 11:08 PM
driver's side, bottom. little white plastic plug, i used a 1/4" ratchet extension to twist and pull, pops out(if you pull hard enough lol) and drains. i think it'll drain without pulling it all the way out.
hulk strong lol

sidvicious512
02-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Really? This is on the engine? I'm just having a hard time imagining a white piece of plastic that just pulls out but is supposed to hold at least 15 psi. I can't check right now it's too dark out but I'll get to it tomorrow. If there's any more detail you could give me that would be great or point me to an instructable with pictures. My googlefu has failed me and there doesn't seem to be any "free" Haynes or Chiltons online for my car.

unchained_01
02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
its on the bottom corner of the radiator

sidvicious512
02-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I found it. I can't believe I overlooked it before. So how do I drain everything, the motor, and the heater coil included?

dylanbour
02-17-2016, 10:34 PM
What did you find out was the problem?