100k mile maintenance help and suggestions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 100k mile maintenance help and suggestions

Hanauer51
03-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, so my car hit 100k miles a couple months ago, and since I got my taxes back I just wanted some of your input. My car is running strong, no problems at all. About two years ago I had the lower intake resealed and repaired. In the past year I've put a new fuel pump in, and replaced the serpentine belt. My breaks are getting pretty bad. If I'm replacing the breaks should I think about getting some rotors, perhaps new cross-drilled rotors. Anyway, any suggestions on what should be looked at/ repaired since I did hit 100k miles?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

unchained_01
03-10-2013, 08:40 PM
If you haven't changed your trans fluid , I would do that
But do not have it flushed !!!
Struts and related suspension parts
Gas filter Plugs and wires

Hopefully you your doing your own maintenance Will save you a lot in labor !!

bricooper78
03-10-2013, 08:55 PM
^ fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator too..

if you're doing that, clean the MAF sensor, it's a quick and easy thing to do, and it's more than likely all carbon filled too.
I changed Antifreeze at 100K due to it's a nice round number, and I'd had the car fo 30K miles, wasn't sure when it had been done last.
That should do you quite a bit of good!

unchained_01
03-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Clean EGR tube and port on intake Replace 02 sensors.

bricooper78
03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Check your couple of vacuum lines, they do deteriorate over time, it's another cheap thing.

change all your tail light bulbs, turns, reverse, upper 3rd brake light... i'm anal about lights being lit lol so i did that too. this guy just did some custom "on off on off" pattern lol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/2013-03-11183818_zps10f7f474.jpg

AaronGTR
03-11-2013, 11:02 PM
To the OP... do you have any kind of maintenance records? Dates/mileage of when anything was changed last? That helps a lot in determining what needs to be done.

If you have the owners manual, first thing you should do is look at the 100k service and see what they recommend. Usually it's things like replace belt, spark plugs and wires, O2 sensors, and such. Since you already replaced the belt that is good. I'd do plugs and wires though. O2 sensors, some people say if they aren't throwing a code and making the check engine light come on to leave them alone, but their performance does degrade over time. If you have the $ I'd at least replace the front one since that is what controls fuel trim adjustment. You might get a little better fuel mileage at least.

Changing the trans fluid and filter would be a good idea too. Don't get it flushed though! Just drain and refill.

Other things should be done earlier than 100k miles and it would be good to get done if they've never been done. Fluids are the life of the car and most people don't change them regularly. New fluids can help keep systems working longer without breaking down. Flush and refill coolant every 5 years/60k miles, bleed the brake fluid every 3 years (and it's brakes, not breaks ;) ), change power steering fluid, etc. Fuel filter at least every 3 years/30k miles. Don't forget the air filter too, and cleaning the MAF sensor might not be a bad idea.

Hanauer51
03-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks Aaron I'll pull out my records this weekend, cause they are at home and I'm at school. So, maybe providing the records will be of more help to you. lol

Hanauer51
03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Check your couple of vacuum lines, they do deteriorate over time, it's another cheap thing.

change all your tail light bulbs, turns, reverse, upper 3rd brake light... i'm anal about lights being lit lol so i did that too. this guy just did some custom "on off on off" pattern lol

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/2013-03-11183818_zps10f7f474.jpg

Oh trust me I'm anal about that too! haha that just looks silly stuiped lol