00' Grand Am HVAC Evaporator [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00' Grand Am HVAC Evaporator

buffbison
03-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Is it necessary to completely take out the front dash just to reach the evaporator? My AC crapped out. I'm deciding on replacing the whole thing or not. I heard the evaporator is the hardest part of the replacement job.

If the dash has to be taken out, is it feasible to cut out part of the dash to get to it? By all means, my grand am isn't worth more than $500 because of high mileage and normal wear/tear so doing that isn't a big deal. Plus I can get the replacement parts very cheap. It is just i am recently out of a job and have a newborn son. we dont want to spend money on a new car but i am willing to do the work on replacing the a/c so we can have him in the car. We relocated to SC and not quiet used to the summer heat.

Thanks!

EJ01GAGT
03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
u meam the accumlator dryer?

rocketfast123
03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
u meam the accumlator dryer?

The e-vap is what the fan blows across so your car can get cold.

buffbison look at your PM

The job doesn't look too hard. But you can clean it out also

AaronGTR
03-14-2013, 09:11 PM
They don't fail very often. I haven't replaced one myself, but I've also heard they are hard to replace. The lines for the A/C connect to it right back at the firewall. You could always just take all the lines and everything else off and blow out the evaporator with compressed air. Get new O-rings and seals for the system (those should be cheap) and reconnect everything. Replace what ever is bad on the front of the system (usually the compressor, dryer/accumulator, and condensor) and have the system vacuum tested. That will tell you if there are any leaks. If it's all good, then the evap doesn't need to be replaced and they can just fill the system with refrigerant and oil and you are set.

I did this on a 97 grand prix I had. Replaced basically everything but the evap and lines. It seemed to work just fine. It's A/C didn't get as cold as the A/C in my grand am, but then it never did even when I first bought it.

buffbison
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
i have one more question before I start replacing the parts. When you turn on the AC knob, you should hear a hissing sound, the air pressure being moved. Now that I don't have cold air, it does not make that sound. Is that an indication the compressor is bad or is it the AC switch/a valve in the dash that causing the leak or is it the dryer/condenser/compressor more likely? I tested the AC lines and there is no pressure. I even added 134a and it was gone the next day.

thanks!

rocketfast123
04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
The hissing you hear on the inside is the vent doors adjusting air flow.

buffbison
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Well, I fixed the AC and it blows ice cold air. I just replaced the condenser, drier, and all o-rings. One question is left, i added 20oz to the system, how much is needed to completely fill the system? I was thinking two pounds is sufficient. It already blows cold air though.

EDIT....one more thing, i used PAG oil to lubricate the orings. i didnt know to use 525 mineral oil until after the fact. I found some forums where some say it is okay to use it and some do not recommend since it can cause fittings to corrode. will using PAG be okay or should i vacuum the lines and redo the orings?

thank you everyone for your help, especially rocketfast! those instructions are better than the haynes repair manual!

buffbison
04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
FYI, I called a Chevy dealer, they said a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM V6 holds 1.35lbs of refrigerant.