Grille Shutters [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grille Shutters

greddy2race
03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
I saw that the Chevy Cruze eco has these grille shutters that close at high speeds to improve gas mileage. I wonder if anyone knows a way to do a type of retrofit or DIY design to work on our GTs.

BJPbrandon2448
03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't think it would have the same effect on our cars... It's all about the aerodynamics, It's hard to explain but on our cars it would fit to deep inside of the front grill to actually function... It would probably have a negative effect on the Grand Am unless you could find a way to locate on the very front of the insert to round off the front end, you couldn't mount it where the grill kits go... and FYI. that shutter grill isn't improving the mpg all that much maybe an additional 2-3 miles a gallon at most.

HOYS
03-17-2013, 11:17 PM
I saw that the Chevy Cruze eco has these grille shutters that close at high speeds to improve gas mileage. I wonder if anyone knows a way to do a type of retrofit or DIY design to work on our GTs.

Most likely won't do a thing.

Hi from Dayton!

greddy2race
03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I was just seeing if anyone had heard of or attempted such a mod.

AaronGTR
03-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Never heard of anyone trying it. I've thought about it myself, and it would probably be more effective on my RK sport front bumper since the "nostril" openings are larger and the grill is right up at the front. In the end though I don't think the gains would be worth the effort involved. You'd have to figure out a shutter system with some kind of mechanical system to open and close it (either vacuum or electrical) and find a way to mount it to the bumper, then you'd have to design a control system for it and decide if you wanted to operate it manually or do some time of speed activation switch. It would be a lot of work.

Metallman56
03-18-2013, 10:44 PM
not to mention if you cover up too much your going to have a horrible overheating problem. that would be my luck, finally figure out how to make it work, and over heat.

greddy2race
03-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Well I have seen this forum called eco modders where they had some good ideas for it. For instance, wiring it into the cooling fan, so that if the engine gets too hot and the fan turns on then the shutters open as well. Neat concept but the feasibilty on a low budget is pretty much nil.

bricooper78
03-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Aerodynamically, there are far more wasteful areas of the GA then the upper grille openings, with the lower dam and air scoop, there should be little loss (heat gained) in just sealing those upper nostrils anyhow, it would act more like the 1/3rd of other cars, that are all bottom breathers and do just fine, it would get warmer a hair quicker, and cool right back off as soon as it started moving.

If you really wanted to do go that route, I'd seriously just block them, don't worry about engineering the flaps. And cover up the fog light holes, they're nearly as big and are just dead space aero wise

AaronGTR
03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I don't think overheating would be any issue at all. The upper nostrils don't provide any cooling air on most GA's. They route air to the ram air ducting, and even if you remove the ram air ducting, there is still a shroud behind there that directs air from the bottom of the bumper (which is forced up by the lower air dam) and routes it into the A/C condenser and radiator. That same shroud blocks any air from the nostrils from getting to the radiator, so unless you've removed that shroud, blocking the nostrils would have no effect on heating/cooling.

bricooper78
03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
(Can I celebrate the fact that I said something smart enough that Aaron agreed??)

Worst case would be like the mid 90s Camaros, they get warm sitting and idling, all you have to do is roll them forward and they go back to normal. And IIRC there was a guy over on GAOC that had a custom nose, he took it and cut it open like 1 big opening, but then it looked like a 01 Malibu, so he covered it back up with something, I'd recognize the name if I saw it, but can not freakin' think of it for nothing...

Metallman56
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
aaron correct me if i'm wrong (which is pretty common) but werent there some g/a's with your bumper that had overheating problems. i know mendoza was having such issues, but i dont remember if he had the same bumper as you.

spartan0199
03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Here you go. ;crap

bricooper78
03-19-2013, 08:20 PM
They did that exact same thing in motor trend when the viper came out and they were running it vs the corvette to see which one went fastest

AaronGTR
03-19-2013, 08:35 PM
aaron correct me if i'm wrong (which is pretty common) but werent there some g/a's with your bumper that had overheating problems. i know mendoza was having such issues, but i dont remember if he had the same bumper as you.

Not that I can ever recall. Even though the RK bumper loses some of the middle opening, it gains open space on the sides, and as long as you leave the shroud in and the rest of your cooling system/fans/etc are working properly, then it shouldn't overheat.