Bar's leak head gasket fix [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bar's leak head gasket fix

greddy2race
03-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Has anyone tried this stuff as a temporary fix to the LIM and/or head gasket? And if so how well did it work? It has gotten good reviews on Amazon and Advance Auto, but I thought I would check with the 3400 experts.

Unfortunately this economy... and two kids, makes it hard to afford a full repair of the gaskets. Just tired of the puddles and white smoke.

sleepyalero
03-20-2013, 01:27 AM
do it yourself it will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

rocketfast123
03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Y'll be better off keeping it topped off and making sure no coolant is getting into your oil. That stuff is no good.

AaronGTR
03-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Just don't do it! All the additives in the world won't fix the root problem, and they typically end up coating the inside of your cooling system with gunk, making it less effective and causing other problems later down the road that are a lot more work and $$$ to fix.

Fix it right, fix it once.

jordan1111
03-21-2013, 11:50 AM
Has anyone tried this stuff as a temporary fix to the LIM and/or head gasket? And if so how well did it work? It has gotten good reviews on Amazon and Advance Auto, but I thought I would check with the 3400 experts.

Unfortunately this economy... and two kids, makes it hard to afford a full repair of the gaskets. Just tired of the puddles and white smoke.

I was hesitant about using Bar's Leak too! I used it a couple of months ago for my coolant leak, because I noticed my coolant reservoir I had to add coolant every two weeks. I poured a bottle of Bar's Leak in the radiator hose, and it stopped the leak. I still check from time to time, and my reservoir bottle is still at the recommended level.

sugar ray
03-22-2013, 10:41 PM
once you have a bad gasket, no miracle in a bottle will eliminate it. Perhaps the stuff works for MINOR gasket issues but I can't see it curing the LIM issues ascociated with the 3400's. Did my own LIM and head gaskets for aorund $200 (included gaskets, new coolant, and head studs I had to replace after snapping a few etc....)

greddy2race
03-23-2013, 10:22 PM
well the issue is a minor gasket issue, nothing fully blown, just have to top off with about 2 quarts coolant once a week.

GrandAmMe
03-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Please just don't do it. This stuff destroys cooling systems. Fix the thing right or don't fix it at all.

AaronGTR
03-24-2013, 08:03 AM
well the issue is a minor gasket issue, nothing fully blown, just have to top off with about 2 quarts coolant once a week.

I'd call that way more than "minor". 2 quarts is a lot man. Just fix it the right way and be done with it. Putting that crap in your cooling system will also hurt it's cooling efficiency.