Did my heater core take a piss? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Did my heater core take a piss?

Pintobean11
03-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Back in September I drove my car up to NY and noticed that the heat would cut in and out. It would work for a couple hours and then not at all. In the past few months I have noticed that my a/c blows rather warm. This wasn't a concern since it wasn't hot down here so I went to buy freon the other day at advanced.

I have recently started to hear what sounds like water up behind the dash. I braked real hard on the way home from work this afternoon and finally saw some water near my pedals. Is this a sign of the core shot?

Pintobean11
03-21-2013, 10:28 PM
anyone?

young gun
03-21-2013, 10:56 PM
No clue. Free bump.

Greasemonkey51
03-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Back in September I drove my car up to NY and noticed that the heat would cut in and out. It would work for a couple hours and then not at all. In the past few months I have noticed that my a/c blows rather warm. This wasn't a concern since it wasn't hot down here so I went to buy freon the other day at advanced.

I have recently started to hear what sounds like water up behind the dash. I braked real hard on the way home from work this afternoon and finally saw some water near my pedals. Is this a sign of the core shot?

You would see antifreeze not water and it would be on the passengers side if it was leaking. And it would stink. Can you explain more by cutting out please. Check the drain hole might be clogged causing the the water noise.

bricooper78
03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85927

Here's a few good things to start with also

Pintobean11
03-24-2013, 06:35 PM
You would see antifreeze not water and it would be on the passengers side if it was leaking. And it would stink. Can you explain more by cutting out please. Check the drain hole might be clogged causing the the water noise. I mean I guess it could be antifreeze leaking in but you're right it doesn't smell.

What do you mean by cutting out?

Drain hole?

Pintobean11
03-26-2013, 05:36 PM
bump

Greasemonkey51
03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
I mean I guess it could be antifreeze leaking in but you're right it doesn't smell.

What do you mean by cutting out?

Drain hole?

is it blowing cold then hot or just shutting down complety

BrittsBen
03-27-2013, 10:09 AM
I would think the AC running warm and the heat being intermittent might be unrelated. Try recharging the ac with some refrigerant. As far as the heat goes, have you ever replaced the thermostat? Sometimes it gets stuck open or occasionally will get stuck up crippling heat output. Good luck with your problem I'd say go with the cheapest things first unless you got a friend that can help you nail it down. Like other members have said, usually if your heater core takes a dump it starts leaking into the floorboard and you'd smell it. I suppose an electrical or mechanical failure within is possible though without it leaking. That would be one of the last things to check for me though cause I wouldn't know how to bench test a heater core without uninstalling it.

Pintobean11
03-30-2013, 07:58 AM
is it blowing cold then hot or just shutting down completyNo, it's just blowing warm.

I would think the AC running warm and the heat being intermittent might be unrelated. Try recharging the ac with some refrigerant. As far as the heat goes, have you ever replaced the thermostat? Sometimes it gets stuck open or occasionally will get stuck up crippling heat output. Good luck with your problem I'd say go with the cheapest things first unless you got a friend that can help you nail it down. Like other members have said, usually if your heater core takes a dump it starts leaking into the floorboard and you'd smell it. I suppose an electrical or mechanical failure within is possible though without it leaking. That would be one of the last things to check for me though cause I wouldn't know how to bench test a heater core without uninstalling it.The thermostat might be an idea. I have noticed that the car does run about 5-10 degrees warmer now. Sucks that it's such a bitch to get too. I think I'm going to try the recharge for now and hope it gets me through summer.

BrittsBen
04-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Here's another cheap thing you can look at that might possibly be playing a factor. The blower resistor motor (usually behind the glove box). I know from my Honda that the resistor gets corroded and shorted out over the years, also sometimes very dusty from a dirty cabin air filter. This can cause intermittent malfunctioning of the blower motor. May not be your problem at all, just something I ran across the other day. The fix involves isolating the bad resistor, removing it and bridging the two contact points with a new resistor (usually can be had from radioshack).

Pintobean11
04-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I have had that problem in my Honda but that caused some of the settings to not work. All of my settings work.