Please quick help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Please quick help!

nousername
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Im stuck on trying to get my thermostat out. I have a grand am 3.4

how do i remove this part? I hope this is what cause the housing not being able to slide out all the way. if not then its the cross over pipe and covering. such a bad place for it...

anyhow heres what i need to know how to remove

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg602/no_username654/2013-03-29_17-32-15_887_zps1388d35c.jpg

the thing on top of the thermo housing

AaronGTR
03-29-2013, 07:20 PM
That is a bleeder line that returns to the over flow tank on the other side of the engine bay. Runs across the front of the engine and connects to a rubber line part way across. You should be able to just unclip that line from the engine so it flexes at the rubber part and pull the whole thing out of the way. Or you can put a wrench on the brass fitting to keep it from turning and put another wrench on the line nut and disconnect it from the coolant pipe. It shouldn't be all that hard to turn, but if it is you might want to use a line wrench so you don't strip the nut. Shoot a little liquid wrench or wd40 down in there too if needed. Also you have to have both bolts that hold the coolant neck to the manifold completely out in order to remove it. The thermostat is behind that and sticks out a little which makes it hard to slide out, but you can do it with enough maneuvering. :thumbs:

nousername
03-29-2013, 07:43 PM
That is a bleeder line that returns to the over flow tank on the other side of the engine bay. Runs across the front of the engine and connects to a rubber line part way across. You should be able to just unclip that line from the engine so it flexes at the rubber part and pull the whole thing out of the way. Or you can put a wrench on the brass fitting to keep it from turning and put another wrench on the line nut and disconnect it from the coolant pipe. It shouldn't be all that hard to turn, but if it is you might want to use a line wrench so you don't strip the nut. Shoot a little liquid wrench or wd40 down in there too if needed. Also you have to have both bolts that hold the coolant neck to the manifold completely out in order to remove it. The thermostat is behind that and sticks out a little which makes it hard to slide out, but you can do it with enough maneuvering. :thumbs:

Merci,

Well got that all done. Now putting it back together. All i can say is **** this placement of the crossover pipe. Who the hell designed this!!!!!

This bottom bolt is going to be a b****

When im done i broke something and not sure what the piece is called so ill update a pic soon and hopefully youll see it sometime

EDIT heres the pic. got time to spare

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg602/no_username654/2013-03-29_19-44-49_539_zpse525c012.jpg

nousername
03-29-2013, 09:09 PM
God damn is there anyway to remove the exhaust crossover? This pipe is literally in the way and impossible to get the bottom bolt in

Starglow
03-29-2013, 10:33 PM
God damn is there anyway to remove the exhaust crossover? This pipe is literally in the way and impossible to get the bottom bolt in

It would be much easier if you remove the TB and get it out of the way for better access. You can start the bottom bolt with your fingers...just be patient. Yes, it's a tight fit but it can be done.

kzulfic
03-29-2013, 11:03 PM
That part you broke is your PCV tube with grommet.

AaronGTR
03-30-2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah, removing the cross over pipe is a LOT more work than you want to get involved in. And looks like you broke the PCV tube going to the PCV valve in the front valve cover. If there's enough sticking out on the other side, you might be able to splice it with a piece of rubber hose. It might cause a vacuum leak later though, so you'll probably want to replace it eventually.

nousername
03-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Yeah, removing the cross over pipe is a LOT more work than you want to get involved in. And looks like you broke the PCV tube going to the PCV valve in the front valve cover. If there's enough sticking out on the other side, you might be able to splice it with a piece of rubber hose. It might cause a vacuum leak later though, so you'll probably want to replace it eventually.

Yeah your probably right :( Have a buddy with skinny hands coming over today. Hopefully he can get that bolt on. if not im saying screw it and towing it somewhere. I cant get it. My pops cant get it

Anyhow i thought that tube was for the oil case and it leads into were you dump the oil? So if i go to the parts store what do i tell them what i need?

EDIT: i went under oreilleys and they dont have anything listed as a pcv tube

kzulfic
03-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Yeah your probably right :( Have a buddy with skinny hands coming over today. Hopefully he can get that bolt on. if not im saying screw it and towing it somewhere. I cant get it. My pops cant get it

Anyhow i thought that tube was for the oil case and it leads into were you dump the oil? So if i go to the parts store what do i tell them what i need?

EDIT: i went under oreilleys and they dont have anything listed as a pcv tube

I think It's a dealer only part. You can grab one from a junk yard, I see quite a few that aren't broken at the yards around me. The dealer part name is "PCV tube with gromet". I'll see if I can find you a part number.

It will have some oil in it, PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation.

nousername
03-30-2013, 08:30 AM
I think It's a dealer only part. You can grab one from a junk yard, I see quite a few that aren't broken at the yards around me. The dealer part name is "PCV tube with gromet". I'll see if I can find you a part number.

It will have some oil in it, PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation.

Thanks ill have to call up some junkyards near and see if they have any.

EDIT: Got the part ordered throught a dealership. Now to get that bolt on!

O1GAGT
03-30-2013, 10:22 AM
The bottom bolt hole on the thermostat housing is notched so you may be able to get away with just loosening the bottom bolt. It may also help to remove the throttle body or worst case remove the whole upper intake manifold.

In situations like these you may want to see if you can get at it from the side with a socket and extension. Sometimes swivel sockets or wobble extensions make all the difference when working in tight places.

nousername
03-30-2013, 10:28 AM
The bottom bolt hole on the thermostat housing is notched so you may be able to get away with just loosening the bottom bolt. It may also help to remove the throttle body or worst case remove the whole upper intake manifold.

In situations like these you may want to see if you can get at it from the side with a socket and extension. Sometimes swivel sockets or wobble extensions make all the difference when working in tight places.

Yeah i tried just having it loose. But there thermostat sticks out to much so you cant get around to fully position the housing. Swivel socket would work but i cant even get the screw started by hand and theres no way a socket will fit on the bolt and the small distance between the bolt head and the exhaut pipe

Somethings going to get broke today i can feel it

BrittsBen
04-01-2013, 03:13 AM
Some of those vac hoses can be had from rockauto and other online distributors for a little cheaper than your local auto store or dealership but time and shipping is involved so unless you can jerry rig it, go ahead and spend the extra money. The only vacuum hose that cannot be had except from a dealership that i've run across so far is the map sensor vacuum harness. Why did they have to design the vacuum hoses out of cheap small plastic tubing you ask? Planned Obsolescence.