Wont Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wont Start

knightrida
03-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Hey whats up been awhile since i been on here. I have a problem (duh) i have 12.4 volts to my batt. I have lights and stereo works fan works etc. Except when i turn the key to start i get nothing. At first i got a click then tried again and got nothing the guages do the sweep. No security light flash. Is it my starter or something else? Before i parked it for the winter i had slow drag on the starter then it would crank over. How much of a PITA would it be to remove and replace the starter? Or should i check someting else besides the starter like fuses etc?? Thanks in advance

kzulfic
03-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Sound like a starter to me, you can give it a couple taps with a hammer and see if she'll turn over. All it is is two bolts and a couple wires, pretty straight forward.

knightrida
03-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks. Tried the tap with a hammer and nothing. Looks like im gonna have to replace the starter. Glad its simple 2 bolts like my chevy truck. My only problem is going to be jacking it up to get the starter off. Being the ground is soaking wet and my car sank into it over the winter we had. Hopefully all it is is just the starter not something else like the ignition.....

kzulfic
03-30-2013, 03:57 PM
You said you heard a click, so ignition should be fine. Sucks about the work area you got. I feel your pain, I had to change the fuel pump in my blazer in the snow, while it was really wind out. Froze my ass off and everything was just sooooo rotton. The only thing that went well was the re-assembly.

knightrida
03-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah been there before working in crap climates changing out stuff in a deep freeze with the wind blowing right at you. It sucks to say the least. Yeah i heard a click once and then after that it was nothing. Turn the key and nothing. Quick question i did a batt cable mod in it. On the cables i trimmed off some of the rubber and removed the factory 8mm stud that goes to 3/8 and just went and got a couple of 3/8ths bolt 1 1/2 long corse thread with lock washer and nut. Inserted it into the cleaned out hole with nut and washer all the way to the bolt head. Inserted the 3/8 bolt into side post batt and tight it down. Then ran the nut and washer up to the hole and put about 10 ft lbs or torque on both bolts. I tested the bolts and they were recieving 12.4 volts. Would that have anything to do with it? Only reason i did that mod was for extra room for my sound system cables. This is what it looks like:
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h429/dkhill29/photobucket-3894-1364690117198.jpg

kzulfic
03-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I would back the bolt out some, it doesn't need to be all the way in and you could damage the battery that way. Just thread it in a way, but not too deep the tighten the nut. I don't think the washer is necessary though.

I really don't think it would cause the problem though. I did the same to a previous car for the same reason and never had a problem.

BrittsBen
04-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Should you be up to the task of removing the starter it can usually be bench tested for free at a local auto store.

knightrida
04-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Cant get the darn last bolt out for the starter. Got one bolt loose the bolt toward the front on the car I cant get off..... I have tried just about everything except air tools. Was going to have it bench tested today but I cant get the last bolt off. Tried extension, open end, universal joint no luck at all

bricooper78
04-02-2013, 05:41 PM
It's been several years since I changed mine, but isn't there a cap you can pop off that makes getting up there WAY easier? I'm far too fat to fit under my car or I'd try to get you a pic of what I was talking about

knightrida
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
It's been several years since I changed mine, but isn't there a cap you can pop off that makes getting up there WAY easier? I'm far too fat to fit under my car or I'd try to get you a pic of what I was talking about

A cap?? I have looked under it again and don't see a cap. I could be wrong and nt looking in the right spot. But its a pita to get to this last bolt I keep slipping off of it. I need a 12pt socket my others ones keep slipping. If anyone has a pic of the cap please post it. Thanks

BrittsBen
04-03-2013, 09:51 PM
No idea brother, sorry it's giving you hell. I recently paid a mechanic/friend to change my oil pan gasket and they used a cherry picker (dude is rather large) to get to it. The removal of the starter was part of the process so I'll try asking him tomorrow. In the mean time you might be suited to try googling starter removal for grand ams/aleros/malibus. You might could find pics and I'll look around as well.

BrittsBen
04-03-2013, 09:53 PM
here go, compliments of grandamgt and google

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86240

knightrida
04-03-2013, 10:56 PM
No idea brother, sorry it's giving you hell. I recently paid a mechanic/friend to change my oil pan gasket and they used a cherry picker (dude is rather large) to get to it. The removal of the starter was part of the process so I'll try asking him tomorrow. In the mean time you might be suited to try googling starter removal for grand ams/aleros/malibus. You might could find pics and I'll look around as well.

Thanks man. This stubborn *** bolt is pissing me off. One bolt keeping me from taking my bad starter off. Im able to get a socket on there but I keep slipping off of it. Mind you its a mess under there from my oil pressure sens blowing last year. (yes I cleaned up the posts at least on the starter) Replaced it last year but didn't get a chance to clean up the mess. Its on my to do list. Im just hoping its the starter not the ignition. Gonna tackle it more Friday and get my friend to help me that has better tools. (Long story as to mine got stolen over the winter) So I have a Stanley set from wally world now. Side question is there a neutral safety switch that could be at fault?

BrittsBen
04-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Sometimes the deep walled impact sockets work great. Got mine from snotto zone and some adapters so I could use them on smaller sockets. They work great at getting slightly stripped bolts to the point I wish I had short impact sockets for every day stuff. If all else fails with a stubborn or stripped nut/bolt, you'll have to get some vice grips (maybe small ones or medium ones or needle nosed ones) and turn it little by little till the SOB comes off then replace said nut/bolt (local hardware store will get you something close usually). I'm hoping those pictures might help you get er done. Good luck.

bricooper78
04-04-2013, 07:16 PM

I knew that had came up before, I was all over that thing before I figured out that dammed cover came off..

knightrida
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Was able to get the starter off today. Last starter bolt was rounded a little. Took a lot of cussing and sweat to get it off. Took it to local parts store and had it bench tested and guess what it was the starter. It turned over very slow at first and then nothing after that. Guy even tapped it with a hammer to make sure. So Im going to be looking at a new starter. He quoted me $152.74 for a starter with lifetime warranty. And $120.97 for a 2 year warranty. Looked online and found them a lot cheaper. So once I find the best deal online I order it.

kzulfic
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Glad you figured it out, you can get new starter bolts from the auto parts store. I think I paid $6 for mine, but not absolutely sure.

knightrida
04-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Glad you figured it out, you can get new starter bolts from the auto parts store. I think I paid $6 for mine, but not absolutely sure.

Yeah im going to get 2 new 15mm bolts for the starter. Don't like that one being rounded a little like that. At least now I will get the chance of cleaning up that mess of oil under my car. And while im at it change my oil and filter.

kzulfic
04-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Be sure to get replacement GM starter bolts, don't just use any bolt. You need to have the knurled bolts because they act as a locating dowl, also as a fastener. Basically the knurled portion keeps the starter from shifting position.

knightrida
04-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Got new starter and GM starter bolts and hooked it all up and she fired right up. Replaced other things while I was in the fix it mood. Had the batt load tested and alt checked and all are good they both passed. Now she needs a good bath and a good detail job. tha t will have to wait until next week once it stops raining. Thanks for all the help guys. You all have been a great help

kzulfic
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Welcome, glad you got everything figured out.