bcm or passlock? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : bcm or passlock?

madmike77
04-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I have had my 02 gagt brand new since 10/01 and have almost always found the fix for any problems on these forums, however I have a new issue that I just cannot diagnose . My car started cutting out on me while driving and would start back up after a short period of time and now has been in my garage for 2 months with no success .I replaced the fuel pump thinking it was the problem however it was not , so I finally found someone with a mac tool to read any errors in computer and found none but he ran a jumper wire from ignition fuse under hood to another fuse under hood and it fired right up took the jump wire off and would not start. After turning car off with jumper wire still connected the lights on whole car would stay on and not turn off until jumped wire was removed . I had done the no solder passlock bypass at the ignition over 2 years ago and I hade more of the same parts I used left over so I replaced it thinking that was the problem and still no luck , anyone have any ideas on what I should check next I would greatly appreciate your input......Oh yeah forgot to mention alternator is good and battery is also good, and I unplugged the bcm harnesses and checked for corrosion and they are all clean....help please!!!

BrittsBen
04-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Possibly a security issue? You could try taking the ignition cylinder down to an electrical shop with your key and having them reprogram it.

spartan0199
04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
I had an issue with my Grand Am cutting out occasionally when driving, not safe. The car would just turn off.

I noticed when it did this the doors also unlocked like they do if you turn the key off. I stalled the car by blocking the air filter to confirm the doors would not unlock in this case.

I ended up changing the ignition switch where you put the key in.
You can swap the ignition cylinder into the new switch so you don't need that part or new keys.

In my case this fixed the problem.

madmike77
04-04-2013, 09:47 PM
ok so I rebuilt the dummy sensor with a 22k ohm resistor and took the ignition cylinder out of ignition housing and gave it along with the 3 prongs on the circuit thing a good cleaning with rubbing alcohol and wd40 put it back together and did the 10 minute relearn and it fired right up , turned it off and started it 4 more times just to confirm I wasn't just lucky.

madmike77
04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
well i was wrong..... the damn passlock is still giving me issues car cut out on me while driving only once since last post , however at least 4 times i had to do a relearn to get my car started and i was told by many shops that since i had bypassed the passlock i should not have to do a relearn and now my car is acting funny i failed emmissions for a bad fan 1 circuit so i took the car home and fan 1 was not working so i switched the relay with fan 2 and its working fine took it to a shop and no codes , drive car home then back to emmissions ses light comes on so off to autozone i go to now have a po420 code these cars seem like they are more problems than they are worth.

dwoodwarth
04-10-2013, 04:26 PM
The resitor trick does not seam towork on the newer model. ga's.. take it out wire it back stock and get a new ignition switch