Inaccurate fuel gauge? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate fuel gauge?

Jimmayy12
04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
So i am having some problems with my fuel gauge. i just got a fuel pump replaced about a month ago, and have had this problem since. basically my car reads inaccruately by 1/4 tank. it goes on empty when there is still 1/4 left. im not sure why its doing this seeing that the fuel sending unit is working fine and sending the proper amount of pressure. also the o2 sensor is acting a little lazy but nothing that make this the cause of the problem. this problem only started happening when i got the new fuel pump installed. anybody know or have a solution? im not from the states so its too expensive to buy "chevron techron"

bricooper78
04-07-2013, 04:04 PM
I myself am of the opinion that it is something wrong with a batch of fuel pumps, as you have to be the 10th person to have this issue on here, and we've yet to figure anything out to link them aside of "changed the fuel pump".

TDavis and myself both just changed ours, and to my knowledge he has had 0 problems, nor have I gotten past 1/2 tank (don't drive mine much) so I honestly can't tell you mine acts any different, but we did both get the factory OEM (aka expensive if you don't go to rockauto for it) pump. A couple others have mentioned the cheaper pump, maybe that is the cause, we haven't been able to pinpoint it to anything, so it's all just an assumption man.

Jimmayy12
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah i dont understand why. i actually had the pump replaced after about a week of the problem figuring it was just the one, but the other one is doing the same thing. and i didnt get mine from rock auto as i needed it replaced right away since my car actually died while driving on the main drag in my town lol. So i ended up getting a pump for like $180 because my mechanic sourced it out for me. and i didnt want to get an OEM one for that reason. i checked with my dealership and the cost was $489 for a replacement fuel pump.

but you are right, i have heard many people with the similar problem but dont know what it is. i am probably going to be ordering a bottle of chevron techron just to see if that solves the problem. hopefully there will soon be a solution to this problem. it is very strange seeing i am still getting the same mileage i was before.

bricooper78
04-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Well, it would worry me, but if you know your range, and fill up at that range, you know you'd never be out. Mine is at half tank, and that's about all the lower I really let it get, but I'm half tempted to let it go and see if mine has any difference.

DELPHI Part # FG0375 {22631715, 22683260, 88957239, 88967292, 88967294} Module Assembly
Contains Internal Pump Strainer

That is what I got from RockAuto, and IIRC it was almost half of what the local parts stores were asking. But, I have a truck, and it was snowy, and the truck was being driven anyways, so waiting 3 days for it to show up was not an issue. You had to get yours running, it happens to us all man

sleepyalero
04-07-2013, 06:28 PM
apparently your grand am is slammed... pics?