Intake manifold gasket replacement (Grand am 2004 2.2.) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Intake manifold gasket replacement (Grand am 2004 2.2.)

Inmissouri
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Hello to everyone reading this. I'm new to posting to forums so if you can bare with me..
I was needing tips, advice, maybe a guide to replacing the intake gaskets. I have looked through the different threads and there isn't a whole about the 2.2 ecotecs.

The reason I am wanting to change the intake gasket is because I think it's leaking coolant into the oil, and a vacuum leak that's throwing up ses light(evap). Now I've gone through all the hoses to and didn't find a leak, but you can hear the hissing noise coming from the engine. More specifically, it seems to come from the area where the power steering reservoir is located, or inside the engine.. Idk. It's really hard to tell .

It is not blowing smoke which I think it means that it's just not being combusted. But the dipstick has the milk chocolatey stuff on the end. I check my engine fluids all the time so it just started and hopefully the intake gasket is the key.

My spark plugs aren't fouled.

If any more info is wanted or needed, I'll be happy to post additional info.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from anyone with any helpful advice!

Inmissouri
04-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I removed the intake and I don't see how the intake could cause coolant in reservoir... ;crap.

Greasemonkey51
04-08-2013, 05:03 PM
sounds more like a head gasket if coolant is in the oil.

kzulfic
04-08-2013, 07:17 PM
It's a head gasket, your 2.2 intake manifold doesn't see any coolant. If you have coolant in your oil, stop driving, you will only cause yourself more problems. The coolant is no good for you bottom end, those bearings won't last long like this.

If you want, you can take a can of carb cleaner and spray where you hear the hiss. This should cause the RPM to spike or the car to die, that is if the head gasket is toast, but I'm almost certain it is.