Clunk when accelerating [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clunk when accelerating

knightrida
04-11-2013, 02:19 AM
I get a clunk or popping noise when I turn to the left and accelerate pretty hard or when I hit a bump when hard on the gas going down the road. Any other time it don't make that noise. (Yeah I could not drive fast and never hear it again) Wondering what could it be. Its coming from the driver side front. Can almost feel it on the floor with my left foot. I checked all the lug nuts they are fine. Could it be a ball-joint? Any help is wanted. Thanks

sleepyalero
04-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Check all suspension on that side. Joints, spring, strut, etc.

bricooper78
04-11-2013, 06:00 AM
Put that corner up in the air, grab the tire, and try to wiggle it up and down. If it moves, that's a good sign that the balljoints are loose.

Then take your hands and wiggle it "left/right", (put your hands at 3 and 9 on the clock) and wiggle it, if it moves there, could be tierod end/wheel bearing.

Or watch this guy, he's pretty helpful, and not like a school movie lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFbb43fwqk

knightrida
04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
K I will jack it up and check all components and see what is what. Hopefully I can find that noise again.

bricooper78
04-11-2013, 08:14 PM
when you said while turning, the first thing I thought of was CV joint, but they typically click repeatedly. but, don't rule it out, check it while you're under there.

knightrida
04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Well I jacked it up and checked everything as I know how and could not reproduce that sound. I hve no idea where its coming from. The CV boots looks fine no wobble or play in the CV shaft. Ball joint looks ok. Strut and spring is ok also. All bushings look ok to. Im stumped

[ChaosweaveR]
04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Well I jacked it up and checked everything as I know how and could not reproduce that sound. I hve no idea where its coming from. The CV boots looks fine no wobble or play in the CV shaft. Ball joint looks ok. Strut and spring is ok also. All bushings look ok to. Im stumped

This happened to me back in November, check the bolts holding the hub bearing assembly to the spindle (both sides of course) a bolt may have backed out and the head of the bolt could be clipping the clamp on the CV boot.

kzulfic
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Could be the bearing plate, when was the last time you changed struts/mounts?

I've also heard of rack mounts breaking, so check the rack out too.

AleroB888
04-12-2013, 10:53 PM
I get a clunk or popping noise when I turn to the left and accelerate pretty hard or when I hit a bump when hard on the gas going down the road. Any other time it don't make that noise. (Yeah I could not drive fast and never hear it again) Wondering what could it be. Its coming from the driver side front. Can almost feel it on the floor with my left foot. I checked all the lug nuts they are fine. Could it be a ball-joint? Any help is wanted. Thanks

I had something similar, but not much more info, here:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85921

knightrida
04-14-2013, 05:55 PM
;1210320']This happened to me back in November, check the bolts holding the hub bearing assembly to the spindle (both sides of course) a bolt may have backed out and the head of the bolt could be clipping the clamp on the CV boot.

Good call there I didn't even think to look there. I will check that out.

Could be the bearing plate, when was the last time you changed struts/mounts?
I've also heard of rack mounts breaking, so check the rack out too.

The passenger side was changed prior to me owning the car. Never thought about looking at the driver side. I will look into that also. Friend of mine said check your inner tie rods would that make that noise? What area should I inspect at the steering rack?

I had something similar, but not much more info, here:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85921

I haven't herd the sound at low speed or backing out or even turning sharp at low speeds. I can turn the wheel lock to lock and get no sound. I can turn the wheel to the right and accelerate fast and get nothing but a tire chirp. Just doing that turned to the left makes that noise. And that sound is dead on like you said like a hammer or wrench and a solid thud that I can feel with my left foot. I will look into all the above suggestions and hopefully that will do the trick. If not I will have to go to the shop and have them put it on the rack and look.

cutlsp
04-19-2013, 05:19 PM
On my car I had a similar noise going on turned out one of the struts was going bad and both strut mounts were shot. I replaced them and the noise is gone.

knightrida
04-19-2013, 05:28 PM
On my car I had a similar noise going on turned out one of the struts was going bad and both strut mounts were shot. I replaced them and the noise is gone.

Im leaning towards that's what my problem is. Herd the noise again today after hitting a pot hole. Thought it was just a rain puddle... ended up being a pot hole.. So look like next weekend im going to be taking it into a shop and have them check the struts. Friend of mine said well this makes a perfect time to lower it if you need new struts. He makes a good point. But I will see.