What type of spark plugs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What type of spark plugs

T50
04-18-2013, 12:42 AM
What type of spark plugs are the best to get.

I currently have ac delco iridium in the car PN: 12568387

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-41-101-Professional-Iridium-Spark/dp/B000BYEKCY

should i go with NGK laser iridium plugs? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_laser-iridium-spark-plug-ngk_18090203-p?searchTerm=ndk#fragment-1

I'm expericencing a misfire when cold start. plugs look moderately ok to my eyes. But i'll replace them anyway.

knightrida
04-18-2013, 02:35 AM
I upgraded mine last year to Bosch platinum IR fusion plugs. They have been great.

[ChaosweaveR]
04-18-2013, 04:38 AM
What type of spark plugs are the best to get.

I currently have ac delco iridium in the car PN: 12568387

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-41-101-Professional-Iridium-Spark/dp/B000BYEKCY

should i go with NDK laser iridium plugs? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_laser-iridium-spark-plug-ngk_18090203-p?searchTerm=ndk#fragment-1

I'm expericencing a misfire when cold start. plugs look moderately ok to my eyes. But i'll replace them anyway.

Don't bother, stick with the AC Delco Iridiums. GM engines are fickle and don't like anything but AC Delco or NGK. Stay away from Bosch plugs, as the waste spark ignition system on our cars tends to melt/ruin plugs like those.

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 08:34 AM
I have the NGK iridium, which I have read are made right along side those Delco plugs, but then I read they weren't. But I have read so many issues with ford and gm about bosch stuff in the early 00's that I'm too paranoid to use it

rocketfast123
04-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Ac delco Iridium or Ac delco rapid fires

G.I.Ceo
04-18-2013, 08:49 AM
I've used NGK's in mine for years. I use them in all of my cars and have had no issues with them.

T50
04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
sorry, i meant NGK plugs, not NDK, I'm most likely going to get the NGK, I'll be staying far away from bosch with all the bad things i've heard about them..

geldartb
04-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I have the NGK iridium, which I have read are made right along side those Delco plugs, but then I read they weren't. But I have read so many issues with ford and gm about bosch stuff in the early 00's that I'm too paranoid to use it

if you look at the plugs even though they are packaged AC Delco they are stamped with NGK on them..

[ChaosweaveR]
04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
if you look at the plugs even though they are packaged AC Delco they are stamped with NGK on them..

Correct. NGK is probably the best you can buy for a street car.

TDavis
04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
When i replaced my sparkplugs, wires, fuel pump, and fuel filter i just got AC Delco iridium plugs because the 8mm MSD wires where not necessary.

AaronGTR
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Stick with the stock plugs you have. If they've never been replaced and/or have 100k miles or more on them, then they are probably due to be replaced. If not, then you probably don't need to replace them. Misfires aren't usually due to spark plugs. It's pretty hard for a spark plug to malfunction unless it's excessively worn. Usually misfires are due to some other sort of ignition problem, fuel issues, or excess back pressure from a plugged catalytic convertor.

geldartb
04-18-2013, 04:22 PM
the ac delco iridium's were factory parts on the 04-05 3400's..

unless the ceramic got cracked. happened to one of my plugs and would only misfire under heavy load (aka WOT). light or medium it was fine.

T50
04-18-2013, 09:22 PM
well i assume they were replaced, but i could be wrong, I'm going to replace them, my gas mileage sucks, it's about 17mpg

did the original wires have cyl #s on them? and made by delphi?

StormTec2.0
04-18-2013, 10:23 PM
I have NGK and like them.

AaronGTR
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
well i assume they were replaced, but i could be wrong, I'm going to replace them, my gas mileage sucks, it's about 17mpg

did the original wires have cyl #s on them? and made by delphi?

Yes, the original plug wires had numbers on them that made it easy to match up to the coil packs which are also numbered. Not sure who made them, but Delphi is probably a safe guess.

If you're car has over 100k miles on it and you don't think the spark plugs or wires have ever been changed, then changing both might be a good idea. Plug wires are another regularly replaced item at the 100k service interval, as well as O2 sensors.

T50
04-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Well, i might possibly have a cracked block, (white exhaust) and coolant level going down.. So, i'll try to get that corrected first especially if the plugs are going to get bad, my uncle knows some good sealer that should work on small cracks..

Nick-G
04-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Don't use any kind of sealer in your cooling system its going to cause more harm than good.

AaronGTR
04-19-2013, 07:39 PM
^This. Adding sealers to your cooling system will just hurt it's effectiveness, and damage the other parts of the system. Also if it's a significant leak, they still won't seal it. In all honesty, I highly doubt you have a cracked block. These things are cast iron. It takes a heck of a lot to crack one. Much more likely is a cracked/warped cylinder head, or just a bad head gasket. Cheaper and easier to replace than an entire engine as well. Do a compression test and see if any of the cylinders is low, or the compression builds up but drops off quickly, or doesn't build at all. That will usually indicate a blow gasket or a bad valve.

Greasemonkey51
04-21-2013, 06:57 AM
I have a question. Got a 02 Grand am Ive had the car for like 5 yrs don't know how long the plugs been in there. I never changed them thinking its time. How much of a pain is it to change the plugs in these cars. the mileage is dropping since I got it Iam sure a tune up is in great need TIA.

PhantomLover007
04-21-2013, 07:57 AM
I have a question. Got a 02 Grand am Ive had the car for like 5 yrs don't know how long the plugs been in there. I never changed them thinking its time. How much of a pain is it to change the plugs in these cars. the mileage is dropping since I got it Iam sure a tune up is in great need TIA.

The front ones are easy. The back ones are a PITA.

Best bet is to use a flexible socket extension or something like that. To get the threads started on the plugs, use a piece of rubber hose (3" or so). It helps a lot. Your knuckles and arms will get skinned up a bit. You will have to move the coil packs out of the way also.

AaronGTR
04-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Front plugs are easy. Rears are a little harder, but not that bad in my opinion. You can get to them pretty easy if you remove the ignition control module with the coil packs on it. Then you can reach back there with a ratchet and short extension and get them loose.

Spark plugs and wires should be replaced at 100k miles if not earlier. Also the front O2 sensor should be replaced around then, and that has an effect on fuel mileage. Also make sure you replace the fuel filter and air filter every 30k miles or so. They will affect it also. Oil and filter every 5-6k miles and use a good filter and good oil (synthetic or synthetic blend). All those things will help mileage and help the engine last longer. Might want to try running a bottle of fuel system cleaner as well after changing the filter.

T50
04-21-2013, 02:07 PM
2002 grand am gt V6 3.4l

Just changed mine yesterday, from i believe to be the original, back ones i've use a 3/8" ratchet with a 6"extension and a 5/8" deep well socket, I placed socket and extension on first then the ratchet, worked out ok for me, plus had about a 5" hose to slip over the plug that was snug to hand turn it in, worked great, once in i just yanked it off.

front ones i've used a 3" extension

the only issue i had was Cyl #2 (front left one) it was alot of liquid wrench and back and forth on it, turns out some of the threads were bowed out in an section which messed the threads up, but luckily i was able to thread the new plug in with the ratchet without a great deal of effort,

just take your time, and it should be fine, I've installed ngk laser iridium no more misfires

Greasemonkey51
04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
2002 grand am gt V6 3.4l

Just changed mine yesterday, from i believe to be the original, back ones i've use a 3/8" ratchet with a 6"extension and a 5/8" deep well socket, I placed socket and extension on first then the ratchet, worked out ok for me, plus had about a 5" hose to slip over the plug that was snug to hand turn it in, worked great, once in i just yanked it off.

front ones i've used a 3" extension

the only issue i had was Cyl #2 (front left one) it was alot of liquid wrench and back and forth on it, turns out some of the threads were bowed out in an section which messed the threads up, but luckily i was able to thread the new plug in with the ratchet without a great deal of effort,

just take your time, and it should be fine, I've installed ngk laser iridium no more misfires

Thank you all for the input so you can get them from the top then (rear ones). That makes it a lot easier iam tall and have skinny arms and hands and monkey arms lol.

bricooper78
04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, do it from the top, going from underneath would be a nighmare lol

kzulfic
04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
Yes, do it from the top, going from underneath would be a nighmare lol

That's what she said. lol

bricooper78
04-21-2013, 03:44 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/Memes/kitty_bomber_zps6711e432.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/bcooper78/media/Memes/kitty_bomber_zps6711e432.jpg.html)

Okay, don't whore this one up, he was just askin' lol

kzulfic
04-21-2013, 03:51 PM
But I couldn't resist the urge!

Really though it is the way to go. Get a swivel ratchet, 6" extension, swivel socket, and a spark plug socket. Should be a breeze.

Greasemonkey51
04-21-2013, 04:17 PM
k will do thanks again...