Window/lock switch bulbs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window/lock switch bulbs

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 09:06 AM
I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get some replacement bulbs for the window and lock switches. I know about the LED conversion but I'm wanting just stock incandescent bulbs.

I've looked and haven't been able to find anything other than bulb covers or condoms as some people call them.

I did the led conversion but it seems to be almost to intense of a light so I have to turn it down and then I get a flicker when there is a voltage change like hitting the brakes or rolling the windows up or down.

If any one has any info on where to get just regular stock replacements it would be appreciated!

Thanks

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 09:28 AM
RockAuto should have them, but you may have to search a different car or truck, just so you get a part number for it.. I think I'd searched for GMC Yukon and found bulbs, but it was forever ago

TruGreenGAGT
04-18-2013, 09:50 AM
if your LED are too bright, try putting the stock condoms over them, it'll help block some of the brightness.

other than that a junkyard would be helpful just go around and take multiple bulbs and pocket them

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info I may try the bulb covers on the led bulbs hopefully that will help even out the color also. For whatever reason each size of blue is a different color so it's all mismatched right now.

Ill also look on rockauto again I only searched on the GA tab and came up with nothing other than the entire switch which I don't need.

TruGreenGAGT
04-18-2013, 10:16 AM
oh you got blue LED....not sure the stock orange bulbs covers would work then. youd get like a purplish color I think...

might have to try an source some blue covers

TDavis
04-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Must be smoking something, i love my LEDs. They're not THAT much brighter to where it sticks out like a soar thumb to where it bothers me.

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Ya I've found a place for bulb covers so that's not a problem. I can get 10 for like 6.50 and then whatever shipping is. Hardest part I'm having is figuring out which size.

Here is a link to the covers
http://www.mcmaster.com/#light-bulb-covers/=mdj7ny

Scroll all the way down and those should be the correct ones. I believe I would need all three of th "s" ones which are t1 t1 3/4 and t3 1/4

Just thought blue bulb covers might be an easy alternative to led replacements especially since the LEDs obviously don't dim the same way an incandescent bulb will

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 10:32 AM
The LEDs are not that bright as you're thinking they'll be lol

No reason not to go LED, save energy, and looks alot better, it will not stick out as much as you think.

I love the look of them but they are plenty bright I've had them in for a while now and if I turn them all the way up they hurt my eyes while driving at night. That and the colors don't match so I need some way to even them out. Like the bulb for the lock switch is a different color than the bulb for the window switch :-/

TDavis
04-18-2013, 10:35 AM
I love the look of them but they are plenty bright I've had them in for a while now and if I turn them all the way up they hurt my eyes while driving at night. That and the colors don't match so I need some way to even them out. Like the bulb for the lock switch is a different color than the bulb for the window switch :-/

They hurt your eyes?? Are you 70 years old? XD

Where did you get your LEDs from? I got mine from superbrightleds.com and got red and it matched perfectly well.

TruGreenGAGT
04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Id say remove any LED and just measure the width and go from there, prob the 1/8" be your best bet as im sure 1/4" is too big

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 10:43 AM
They hurt your eyes?? Are you 70 years old? XD

Where did you get your LEDs from? I got mine from superbrightleds.com and got red and it matched perfectly well.

Hah no I'm not 70. I got mine from superbrightleds also. Maybe it's just the blue bulbs intensity is more than the red? I don't know but if I can't figure anything out ill just have to go back to regular bulbs with blue covers. I'd prefer not to since I've already spent the money.

Also I like the regular led bulb opposed to the high powered ones. The regulars seem to dim better than the high powered ones. And they have less flicker if they are dimmed. I think the dimming might be solved by a big 3 upgrade because it affects my headlights also. If the black is applied then my headlights dim a little too.

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Human eyes see white light best, due to it being a mix of other hues.
We see red light in the daylight 2nd best, and blue light at night 2nd best.. wavelengths of the colors. its why you see the red flashlights and in vehicle lights for military and police, for night time, the wave pattern of red light doesn't "go as far" as blue, so it's harder to see, helps to hide them from the enemy... well, used to back in the day lol

TDavis
04-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh, completely missed where u said your LEDs were blue. I can see why blue would mess with your eyes.

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 01:13 PM
So could that be why the blue light seems to be intense at night? Even though you said blue light we see 2nd best at night? I just figured it was a contrast thing where red has more contrast to dark than blue does... If that makes any sense

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 04:52 PM
yea, lemme try this..

3 identical 55watt lightbulbs, one white, one blue, one red..

In daytime, we'll see the white, then red, then blue

At night, we'll see white, blue, then red.

It's the wavelength of the light itself, but you've got the issue that I've got going on, I still have the stock gauges in, but I've done my doors with blue led, and they do seem quite a bit brighter than the dash, however I usually have the dimmer about 2/3 anyway, so it really doesn't bug me, but yes, at night, blue light will appear brighter than red, you are correct sir

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 06:56 PM
yea, lemme try this..

3 identical 55watt lightbulbs, one white, one blue, one red..

In daytime, we'll see the white, then red, then blue

At night, we'll see white, blue, then red.

It's the wavelength of the light itself, but you've got the issue that I've got going on, I still have the stock gauges in, but I've done my doors with blue led, and they do seem quite a bit brighter than the dash, however I usually have the dimmer about 2/3 anyway, so it really doesn't bug me, but yes, at night, blue light will appear brighter than red, you are correct sir

Are your blue lights all the same color? Where did you get them from?

I just got my hvac fog and shifter overlays from blackcatcustoms.

Also while you have yours turned down do you get a flicker from hitting the brakes? Am I correct that a big 3 upgrade should fix that issue because it makes my head lights dim a little also when I apply the brakes.

TDavis
04-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Blue LEDs don't as much hurt my eyes as much as it messes with them. It looks a bit "blurry" because of the hue.

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 07:36 PM
The led fogs are actually doing that "blurry" look as you say Tanner, I'm trying to adjust to that..

Scott, if you've got lights fading/blinking... I would lean to a ground problem as the culprit.

Follow your ground from your battery to the frame, and see if it's corroded or broken at all, that would be a very good first thing to check.

As far as mine, I got mine off eBay, and they're the same color. Well, either eBay or superbrightleds, one or the other, but mine are the same color and brightness from what I can tell, I have a 4 door, so my driver's side is alot longer than the passenger, I assume that it'll be brighter due to that fact.

I have a "cool" white in my shifter, but the factory sticker still over it, I haven't ordered overlays, I haven't really decided what I want to do with it yet. I hope they match, but as long as they're close, I'll be okay with it

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Did you do plug and play bulbs or did you have to add a resistor and all that jazz?

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
I got plug and play, small LED with the little round base on it, just sets and then takes a quarter, half turn and locks in place. Mine is an 01, but I highly doubt they'd be different.

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Ya I would imagine they are the same..

Are your all the same size or did you get like 3mm and 4mm?
That is what is giving me the color variation the size difference in bulb

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
It's been several years since I did this, so bare with me lol

I remember there was something with 3, 4, and 5mm bulbs, depending on what you had, it would depend on which switch you used. So, I think I ended up with a 4 and 3, but I don't remember exactly. I got my info from a thread from TruGreen, maybe over on GAOC. I'll do some digging and see if I can find it and post you a link

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Okay, here it is, it's over on GAOC

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125889

These are what he bought, and used 3mm on both, but his is a 2door. There are a few pages of question and answer in there too, it's a good read, TruGreen knows his LEDs like none other lol

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Hah ya that's where I got the idea at... He always seems to have great ideas and I always feel bad for wanton to steal them lol

Ill read through it again just bothers me that the LEDs aren't the same color for whatever stupid reason. I emailed super bright LEDs to see what they can tell me if it comes down to it ill just get all the same size/style and make them work with some enginuity

kzulfic
04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
I have green leds everywhere and they are all the same hue/color. I also purchased from superbrightleds.

03GT SilverGun
04-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Ya I did blue ill have to try and get some pictures up for you all so you can see my dilemma

bricooper78
04-18-2013, 10:20 PM
pics always help!

03GT SilverGun
04-19-2013, 10:12 PM
Lets see if I can get these pictures in here...

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag65/03gtsilvergun/07153B31-71F8-4BAF-AE3E-C86EE05E762A-16480-00000DACE546CE17_zps678a0129.jpg
Black cat customs hvac overlay with the mod that trugreen had done with some led strips.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag65/03gtsilvergun/9F7F4A45-D599-4D19-A382-BA7F014B9062-16480-00000DACEE950C0C_zps57c8c432.jpg
And another shot of the hvac overlay

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag65/03gtsilvergun/3A8708D1-CB3F-40D3-A2AE-812BA128CB1C-16480-00000DACFA68764A_zpsaefe7ee6.jpg
This one has the high powered LEDs in it. This is the most significant in color variation but the camera doesn't show it. The lock button is a 3mm and is more dark blue than the 4mm window bulb

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag65/03gtsilvergun/BEF5CE6E-14E4-4C33-89BE-35BC59D474DA-16480-00000DAD0682C0F4_zps9f5adea3.jpg
This is the regular neox bulbs the color between these is much closer than the high powered ones.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag65/03gtsilvergun/A3D9CC8F-B8CF-4C8B-920A-46D2F7E8A079-16480-00000DAD009EA0F2_zpsd399dbe7.jpg
Lastly is the black car customs fog/dimmer wheel overlay with a 4mm high powered led behind it. I believe someone put foil in the housing to help reflect the light forward.

03GT SilverGun
04-19-2013, 10:18 PM
The intensity doesn't show as well in the pictures... I swear its there lol. Overall I'm really happy with the overlays. The 3mm high powered LEDs are the closest match to the led strip I used behind the hvac overlay.

I thought about trying to solder the smallest section of led strip I could to each bulb spot but I think that wouldn't work out to well.

Since the drivers window uses that clear thing to help "funnel" the light to the switches it isnt as bright as the others.. Obviously

PhantomLover007
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Nice

bricooper78
04-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Oh, I thought you meant like driver's door vs passenger door, not door lock vs window switches!

You're right, the camera doesn't show any difference, once it gets all the way dark I'll go look at mine, I don't think they look any different. I couldn't find the past order (yes, I have an email folder with almost everything I've bought online in it lol ) in the email, so I don't know what I ordered, but I don't think they were even high power.

03GT SilverGun
04-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah for sure let me know! It drives me nuts.. I think I'm just gonna use 3mm high powered LEDs in everything and just use some electrical tape to help keep them in place that way evrything is for sure the same color.

I emailed super bright but haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe Monday ill get a response.

On a side note has any one done the led kit from blackcatcustoms? I emailed them and they said it is completely plug and play I'm just worried about the color variation. I could probably just use the led strips I have left over to do my gauge cluster so I know the hvac and gauge cluster would at least be the same.

On a side side note... Any suggestions on a new head unit? I've had jvc in the last and absolutely loved it so I was thinking maybe another jvc

bricooper78
04-21-2013, 09:29 AM
I found a single DIN JVC that is only radio and a usb plug for either iPod or jump drive... I'm highly drawn to that. But I'd really rather have a double din, I really don't like plastic install kits. But crutchfield had them on sale for like 90 bucks, that's a helluva deal!

And I kinda sorta went to sleep on the pics last night, I got sidetracked and then went on to bed... so I'll be out and about tonight, I'll remember to look!