a few minor problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : a few minor problems

humonculi
04-22-2013, 01:55 AM
hi i have a few minor problems with my grand am its a 3.4 2003 and if it helps its the 30 years anniversary edition but i doubt that leather seats could hurt the mechanic XD
1. when i start the car sometimes the car take about 2-3 full seconds before its start( the spark plugs and wires , battery have been changed)
2. check engine light = O2 sensor but only light occasionnaly when i floor it to see (im gentle with my baby and the car has been in the family from day 1 car history is clean driven by a lady with kids in the back)
3. sometimes the car doesnt have the same torque
4. and the coolant light comes on sometimes and goes i check and filled it up and it still does it
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 11:47 AM
well i doubt its a 30th anniversery, cause i aint neva herdd a dat!!

but to answer some questions, replace the o2 sensor, replace you coolant resivoir tank the low coolant sensor on it is probably going out..

starting... possible starter issue.

torque issue... idk

Hanauer51
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
hi i have a few minor problems with my grand am its a 3.4 2003 and if it helps its the 30 years anniversary edition but i doubt that leather seats could hurt the mechanic XD
1. when i start the car sometimes the car take about 2-3 full seconds before its start( the spark plugs and wires , battery have been changed)
2. check engine light = O2 sensor but only light occasionnaly when i floor it to see (im gentle with my baby and the car has been in the family from day 1 car history is clean driven by a lady with kids in the back)
3. sometimes the car doesnt have the same torque
4. and the coolant light comes on sometimes and goes i check and filled it up and it still does it
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Have you ever had your Lower intake mainifold/ head gasket changed? It's a common problem in all Grand am's. A simple check would be look in your engine bay for leaking coolant, or in my case I had puddles of coolant in my garage overnight when the head gasket went. And a couple months before the head gasket went I was constantly having low coolant lights, and having to put new coolant in every month or so.

young gun
04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
well i doubt its a 30th anniversery, cause i aint neva herdd a dat!!

It is cause you have an alero :hay: There are 30th anniversary GA's. leather with 30th anniversary embroided in, 30th badges on the sides, and I think Borla tips.. nothing really "special" about it but there are 30th anniversary GA's

humonculi
04-22-2013, 08:13 PM
well there was a head gasket changed at around 130k km ill try changing the reservoir tank i dont see any puddles on the ground or anything i did the normal maintenance oil spark air filter i dont believe that there's a cabin air filter and and yes i'm im pretty sure its a 30 anniversary gagt XD not that it changes anything THANKS for all the info ill keep you guys updated
oh and for some reason when i turn right and sometimes left i hear a skeaking sound comming from the rear wheels im not sure if its a bearing or just need oiling up somewhere

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Clean your MAF sensor, and run some injector cleaner through it for the startup issue

That's weird your car has those badges, my 28th anniversary GA doesn't have anything fancy stitched into it's seats. lame.

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 08:21 PM
woah neat! first time ive seen one of those!

and yes im a proud alero owner. :)

humonculi
04-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Clean your MAF sensor, and run some injector cleaner through it for the startup issue

That's weird your car has those badges, my 28th anniversary GA doesn't have anything fancy stitched into it's seats. lame.

a few months ago my gas pump drop on me had to change it but i wasn't sure what the problem was so i tryed some injector cleaner but ill try putting some in there tomorrow and about the badges, it doesn't change anything in the driving hahahah i love that dam car and im not an american car lover but the car means a lot to me emotional but car is awesome like most of you would agree :leg

sleepyalero
04-22-2013, 08:26 PM
i love my car to, alot of people here know im weird as hell about it.

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Did you change your fuel filter when you changed fuel pump? That getting clogged up could cause that too, but the Mass Air Flow sensor needs to be cleaned, and there is a specific spray you buy, and douche that sucker out real good on both sides, it dries right back off, and then you can put it back in. (thats what she said)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/bcooper78/2013-04-12140753_zps3e698dfa.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/user/bcooper78/media/2013-04-12140753_zps3e698dfa.jpg.html)

MAF is that grey square between the 2 blue things on that chrome tube. :D figure I'd get all technical with ya lol

humonculi
04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
hahaah slick is that a cold air intake? i still have genuine stul istead i have the ram air thing i didn't change that part

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 10:20 PM
yea it's a CAI lol but the MAF is in the same place, the main problem is when they're dirty they "read" the wrong amount of air,

after I cleaned mine it seems to have started up a bit easier, it by no means cured it, but my car has always hated it when I started it, drove somewhere short distance, shut it down, and started it back up within like half an hour, have to crank the starter for twice as long. Haven't ever found the the culprit, plugs/wires/coil/ cleaned the top of the engine, and the MAF actually seems to made a difference. Go figure lol

humonculi
04-22-2013, 10:23 PM
nice i think inside its like 2 littles bars or something right that what reads the air that goes in and then results in the amount of mix air/fuel right?

humonculi
04-22-2013, 10:25 PM
btw how much does CAI add in regards of hp/ torque

bricooper78
04-22-2013, 11:10 PM
yea, there's a few little wires that heat up, and the air coming by them cools them, which the computer reads, and decides how much gas to give ya to keep 'er running right..

from the old seat of the pants telemetry, that CAI didn't give me much, if anything.. but especially right after startup, it makes this cool little whistle as you take off lol like a baby turbo i suppose

humonculi
04-22-2013, 11:24 PM
Ohh nice haha i try to keep my car as much eom as possible but still want gadgets like gps and all

sleepyalero
04-23-2013, 12:34 AM
as mods go, cai does give a good increase. helps if you have bigger TB, ported manifolds, etc. im sure if i took my CAI off and put my stock one back on (which would never happen) i would probably notice the little difference in power loss.

humonculi
04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
off but the power loss would be from low speed or hi speed i mean like 10 miles or more like at 30 miles

bricooper78
04-23-2013, 10:04 AM
power loss across the board. CAI and a higher flow muffler would help ya a bit, and it should be a noticeable difference, 5 here, 5 there type of thing..

my car has the CAI on it, no muffler change yet, so I didn't feel much, guys who've done some exhaust with the CAI say they notice a difference that I just haven't felt.

An engine is a huge air pump, more air in (intake) and more air able to escape (exhaust) means more power.

humonculi
04-23-2013, 03:32 PM
But to what extent i mean what can the 3.4 ohc handdle so far as mods and power before something breaks

bricooper78
04-23-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2866859&pp=15

AaronGTR has the biggest/longest built car on here, this is all the threads he's started. Nose around in there, tons of info.

You know the old addage Fast Cheap Reliable; pick two. right? Anything is possible, but the supercharger route is tight, due to very few of them ever built for the motor, so the price is STEEP, few guys doing turbo builds, but general stuff, CAI, ported heads and throttlebody, cam, lifters, headers/downpipe/hi-flo cat/catback exhaust are all pretty readily supported and don't seem to be any detriment to the car.
It's not going to make it wake up like a 350 under the hood, but it will outrun a stock GA, that's for sure!

sleepyalero
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
These motors can do a lot. Milzy's GA ran a 12.1 in the 1/4 mile on stock block with a turbo kit. (Don't know the PSI he was set at.)

PhantomLover007
04-23-2013, 08:17 PM
well there was a head gasket changed at around 130k km ill try changing the reservoir tank i dont see any puddles on the ground or anything i did the normal maintenance oil spark air filter i dont believe that there's a cabin air filter and and yes i'm im pretty sure its a 30 anniversary gagt XD not that it changes anything THANKS for all the info ill keep you guys updated
oh and for some reason when i turn right and sometimes left i hear a skeaking sound comming from the rear wheels im not sure if its a bearing or just need oiling up somewhere

I've seen those seat before. There is a 30th ann GA floating around here on base.

HAHA. I see what you did there... lol lol

bricooper78
04-23-2013, 08:28 PM
You're the first to catch it Matt lol

humonculi
04-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Hey any of you guys ever had the probleme with a rear skeaky noise from one of the rear wheels

Shade2012
04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey any of you guys ever had the probleme with a rear skeaky noise from one of the rear wheels

Only when I'm in the backseat with my girl.

humonculi
04-23-2013, 10:45 PM
hahahahahahaahahha i meant that when i turn i think it might be a wheel bearing