"Brake" and ABS light on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : "Brake" and ABS light on

greddy2race
04-23-2013, 01:07 AM
OK my brake and abs lights have been on for over a year and I finally decided to try and do something about it. There is no svs light or trac light on so I don't think its related to the hub. I did a quick search of the forums but there is nothing that I can seem to find about it.

My guess is an abs solenoid, or possibly just bad wiring somewhere in the system. Does anyone know what might be causing that, or am I on the right track already?

buffbison
04-23-2013, 01:47 AM
If it's not the hub, it could be just the wiring. I had similar problems few years back when I lived in Ohio. I simply unplugged the wiring to the hub assembly. The light will go away but you won't have traction control.

bricooper78
04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
The brake light usually comes on when you're low on fluid, or the ebrake is on.

Check the fluid level.

Then, get in there and check that e-brake (aka parking brake). If it was pulled and froze, didn't retract all the way, that could be doing it as well.

couple things to check

greddy2race
04-23-2013, 11:52 AM
If it's not the hub, it could be just the wiring. I had similar problems few years back when I lived in Ohio. I simply unplugged the wiring to the hub assembly. The light will go away but you won't have traction control.

will that cause the trac off light to come on or will it just not have the trac control. Not that I use it anyways, just curious.

And what about the ABS light?

bricooper78
04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
did you check fuses? I somehow missed that ABS comment.

2000 GT Coupe
04-23-2013, 08:13 PM
I believe its bad ground or shorted wiring.

I just had this happen on my car few weeks ago. I had a spare abs computer ( thought it might have gone bad because my laptop was getting no communication to the abs computer error, which is why the brake and abs lights are on) So I put the new computer in and about 12 codes popped up right away all of them had to do with open or shorted wiring. I cleared them and it worked great for a week then back to those lights and no communication to the computer.
I have not gone back to look closer yet, though I did recently put the abs extension harness to the pass front abs hub on it could be grounding I suppose.

The reason I had a spare abs computer is when I first bought my car I had the same symptoms and thought it was a bad computer turned out one of the main engine ground points, which the entire wiring harness grounds through was loose and corroded.

2000 GT Coupe
04-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Any updates?

I decided to check all my wiring work today, could not find any problems with it I pulled the computer and hooked up a different one I could not get any communication to the abs computer.

keeps saying server not found on my diag software. this is with 3 different abs computers.
The only thing I can reasonably come up with is a bad ground but damn so many grounds to look into.

And just to be clear the only lights on the dash are the abs and the red brake.

I know its not low on fluid as that was the first thing I checked, nor is the ebrake up.

greddy2race
04-29-2013, 01:01 AM
No updates yet but it is only the abs and brake light. They have been on since I bought the car last June, and I have replaced the pads and checked the fluid level, since I bought it. If I pull the e brake up while moving I get the rapid dinging noise, so I don't think it is the ebrake causing the problem either.

Just been really busy with work and two kids under three, so not a lot of time to look into it more.

2000 GT Coupe
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Well I have an update, though its very strange.

So couple months ago I found my a/c wasnt working. the compressor would start and run but no cool air inside and last summer I had a shop pull vac and refill the system so I was sure there was no leaks.
So just to be sure I took my a/c gauges and hooked them up today found the pressure was slightly low tried refilling but it would not take any. So I decided to go back to the shop, he hooked up his machine couldnt find any problem but tried putting just a little 134a in. his machine was able to get it to take just a little bit and it started cooling, though he says it seems to have a weak compressor.
Ok all that aside I drive home and on the way the brake and abs light go out. I then hook up my laptop and can read the codes to the abs.
First code was C1216 brake relay circuit open, second code steering something, or brake light indicator requested on.
Second one was because the loss of communication to the abs computer so the pcm requested the light on. So I didnt pay too much attention to that one.
Now part of what I did the other day was go through all the fuses and relays for abs and pulled them and checked them. all the fuses were good I swapped the abs relay for another in the under hood fuse panel. at that time it did not make any difference so I am very curious if both problems were related and getting a/c to function allowed the relay to close.

greddy2race
04-30-2013, 12:53 AM
That is curious because my a/c does not work either. But when I turn on the a/c I hear the compressor turn on, then about a minute later my car stalls out. So not sure what to think of that but it is something to think about.