Bad Grinding Noise When Turning Left. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bad Grinding Noise When Turning Left.

GrandAmGT03
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I recently started hearing a grinding noise on the front left side of the car when turning right. It only seems to do it when I make a sharp or hard right turn. I just recently replaced the left wheel bearing with a new Timkin bearing because it ended up going. While doing that I inspected my brakes and they still had plenty left on them. Now about a month after that I hear a very similar noise. Could the new bearing have gone already? Also the struts were replaced less than a year ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

bricooper78
04-25-2013, 06:44 PM
check for rub marks, maybe the inner fender popped loose, or isn't lined up right for some reason. highly doubt it, but check that first

stewartfn18
04-25-2013, 07:36 PM
rf wheel bearing. most of the time.

GrandAmGT03
04-25-2013, 08:47 PM
If the right bearing was bad wouldn't I hear the noise when I turn left. When the left bearing was bad the noise was somewhat constant while driving but was more prominent when I turned right and the weight was put on the left side. The noise almost sounds as if there is no brake pad left and its grinding on the rotor but that's not the case there's plenty there. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Hanauer51
04-25-2013, 08:57 PM
If the right bearing was bad wouldn't I hear the noise when I turn left. When the left bearing was bad the noise was somewhat constant while driving but was more prominent when I turned right and the weight was put on the left side. The noise almost sounds as if there is no brake pad left and its grinding on the rotor but that's not the case there's plenty there. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Just had the same problem, my LF (driver side) hub was bad and making noises with excessive vibration, it only was present when the wheel was straight or making a left hand turn. When I turned the wheel the slightest to the right the noise and vibration went away, so I would say its most definitely the RF hub.

GrandAmGT03
04-25-2013, 09:26 PM
So even if I turn left and don't hear the noise the right could still be bad? It doesn't sound the same as it did before when the left bearing went. But I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks for the reply

stewartfn18
04-26-2013, 06:55 PM

i fail at reading....

Hanauer51
04-26-2013, 07:04 PM
So even if I turn left and don't hear the noise the right could still be bad? It doesn't sound the same as it did before when the left bearing went. But I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what I come up with. Thanks for the reply

Yes sir, like I said with my LF hub when I turned right the noise and vibration were literally gone till the wheel was straight again.